REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Cutting Springs (https://www.revscene.net/forums/605068-cutting-springs.html)

Mugen EvOlutioN 02-05-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b-dub (Post 6804309)
When I cut my suspension on my M3 it improved the performance alot! I could take the corners faster and it felt more stable to the ground.

This is a good DIY mod!

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: ok...

fliptuner 02-05-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orgasm_donor (Post 6804148)
If you like 'Uncle Buck suspension' then by all means....bounce away!

I want the Uncle Buck backfire. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mr.Jay 02-05-2010 10:11 AM

I just find it funny that you can afford a M3 but not proper coil overs or springs

!Yaminashi 02-05-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneringArtist (Post 6803737)
I have a choice with my car: Get used springs off of another car that work (but are VERY limited in availability), or pay out the ass for a suspension setup because they don't make lowering springs or coilovers for my car so I have to put something together out of generic race springs (trust me, there's no clean cut suspension for my car, they only have coilovers for the FRONT, and they aren't exactly name brand).

I know what you mean, coilovers available for my car suck ass

The_AK 02-05-2010 11:41 AM

i want to see before and after pictures

Hondaracer 02-05-2010 02:06 PM

i 100% guarantee you the ride is only slightly better with some shit chinese coil overs then it is with cut or lowering springs

coil overs that only have adjustable height still run 1000+ and the ride is -shit-

GabAlmighty 02-05-2010 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznebonix (Post 6804289)
in a physics standpoint, cutting a spring is just horrible.
springrate isn't increased, causing more stress on shock absorber components. also, with a lowered ride on stock shocks, the gas is always under load, causing it to wear faster and theres a HIGH chance they'll just blow.

btw, lowered ride does NOT equal better handling. many many other factors come into play. suspension geometry mainly.

I completely agree with you here. But on the whole, the benefits outweigh the negatives to the suspension geometry.
Everyone buys lowering springs, cutting springs is the exact same thing (geometry wise)
Lowering springs damage your shocks also, unless they're shortened.
And my shocks are already blown so I don't really care at this point, bilsteins will probably go into it this summer hopefully

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 6804676)
i want to see before and after pictures

Cars at tractor height now... It's gotta change

jlenko 02-05-2010 11:54 PM

Cutting springs with stock struts... that's SUCH a Civic thing to do. Lame.

I've seen the results of cut springs... when the guy cut 4 coils out of a spring, and it didn't have enough pressure to stay compressed in the strut anymore, so it coiled out. Put the wheel thru the fender, shredded the tire, snapped the lug nuts and the wheel flew off... at highway speed. Not too pretty.

If you're cheap enough to hack-job the suspension of a car... stay the fuck away from me when you drive that accident-waiting-to-happen. I kinda like living.

Oh.. and a cut stock spring (if you're lucky enough to have progressive rate springs...) are NOT going to have the same spring rates as an aftermarket spring. Even worse if you have linear rate springs stock (like Crapaliers do). And good luck on getting all your spring rates close to each other...

Fuck, I hate people who are stupid enough to go cheap on important stuff... like suspension.. brakes.. etc.

ericthehalfbee 02-06-2010 07:34 AM

Cutting springs is illegal according to the MVA. It is one of the primary criteria for an automatic fail of an inspection regarding suspension condition/modifications.

lowside67 02-06-2010 07:54 AM

What is the magical mystery car with NO aftermarket suspension options that you drive that necessitates this retarded course of action? You talk about wanting to improve your autocross performance, this is absolutely the opposite - it is much better to have a higher ride height then to bottom out. Bottoming out while cornering is extremely detrimental to grip, a lot of times this will cause the tire to fully lose cohesion to the surface - in English, that's "bottom out, then slide, then post crappy times."

The_AK 02-06-2010 09:14 AM

it would be hilarious if you cut each spring a different length

Berzerker 02-06-2010 09:19 AM

Stock suspension is far superior to cut springs in autocross. If your gonna cut the springs lets call a spade a spade and be honest your only doing it for looks. I cut my springs in my EF 15 years ago and I will say without hesitation it does NOT improve handling. Made the car bouncy as shit. I remember driving around Stanley Park and in one of the corners my car changed lanes due to the front end hopping off a bump around a corner. Not good.

Berz out.

GabAlmighty 02-06-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6805637)
If you're cheap enough to hack-job the suspension of a car... stay the fuck away from me when you drive that accident-waiting-to-happen. I kinda like living.

Oh.. and a cut stock spring (if you're lucky enough to have progressive rate springs...) are NOT going to have the same spring rates as an aftermarket spring. Even worse if you have linear rate springs stock (like Crapaliers do). And good luck on getting all your spring rates close to each other...

Fuck, I hate people who are stupid enough to go cheap on important stuff... like suspension.. brakes.. etc.

They're not progressive rate springs, I know I am a ruhtard but. And you know what, I actually applaud the fact that you used a real world example and didn't just use a paper racer excuse. I am not going to cut out 4 coils, probably 3 coils. 2.5 coils off the stock spring brings to around the same height as our aftermarket lowering springs (which people have run forever on stock struts, or unshortened shocks/struts), so I figure another .5 coil really isn't going to destroy the shock outright. Plus, I'll be getting billy hd's hopefully in the summer so I can get a little bit of dampening back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee (Post 6805866)
Cutting springs is illegal according to the MVA. It is one of the primary criteria for an automatic fail of an inspection regarding suspension condition/modifications.

The car's been a registered Canada car all it's life... And it takes all of 30 mins to swap in stock springs if for whatever reason I get a VI

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowside67 (Post 6805874)
What is the magical mystery car with NO aftermarket suspension options that you drive that necessitates this retarded course of action? You talk about wanting to improve your autocross performance, this is absolutely the opposite - it is much better to have a higher ride height then to bottom out."

It's a volvo. There's a handful of companies that make lowering springs for my car, average price is 250usd, which I don't have. And I never said I wanted to improve my autox times; I don't even fucking race the thing. I was using it has an example for what other people have reported I believe. And my car is at tractor height, it would take alot of lowering to get the thing to bottom out on corners, the first that would scrape is the front spoiler (which race cars do all the time), IF for some reason I was able to get the rear underbody of the car to scrape under braking, well... I'd be fucking impressed.

GabAlmighty 02-06-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AK (Post 6805925)
it would be hilarious if you cut each spring a different length

Hahahah, I would lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6805934)
Stock suspension is far superior to cut springs in autocross. If your gonna cut the springs lets call a spade a spade and be honest your only doing it for looks. I cut my springs in my EF 15 years ago and I will say without hesitation it does NOT improve handling. Made the car bouncy as shit. I remember driving around Stanley Park and in one of the corners my car changed lanes due to the front end hopping off a bump around a corner. Not good.
Berz out.

Ya, my car on lowering springs bounced around to shit on those roads too. What's your point?

Lomac 02-06-2010 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 6805938)
Ya, my car on lowering springs bounced around to shit on those roads too. What's your point?

His point is that it was unsafe. Imagine what would have happened if there was a car in the lane next to Berz when it jumped lanes...

GabAlmighty 02-06-2010 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lomac (Post 6805947)
His point is that it was unsafe. Imagine what would have happened if there was a car in the lane next to Berz when it jumped lanes...

I'm not saying he was wrong nor am I refuting his point. But another that "anology" all cars with lowering springs are unsafe as they do the exact same thing as cut springs (assuming you don't put shortened shocks/struts in in it)

edit: and yes, looks are a fair good reason why i'm doing it

Berzerker 02-06-2010 09:46 AM

My car with coilovers doesn't do that now. There is a difference between bouncy because of bumps in the road and unsafe because of the actions of a car with cut springs. On regular occasions I'm sure my front tires were leaving the ground over man holes and various road bumps.

I'm not saying don't cut them as when you have limited options you do what you have to. However just be aware of the effects on your car and on how its going to react.

Berz out.

Berzerker 02-06-2010 09:48 AM

Another point on lowering springs is that even though they may be the same height as cut springs, they are progressive and do a better job at preventing bottoming out. What your car hits the bump stops that is where the danger lies.

Berz out.

GabAlmighty 02-06-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6805967)
I'm not saying don't cut them as when you have limited options you do what you have to. However just be aware of the effects on your car and on how its going to react.

Berz out.

Yup, done a fair amount of reading. Driven my old car which is now on cut springs, I know what i'm getting myself into. Thanks for being cool about it haha and having real world knowledge

ericthehalfbee 02-06-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 6805935)
The car's been a registered Canada car all it's life... And it takes all of 30 mins to swap in stock springs if for whatever reason I get a VI

*sigh* You're missing the point. The reason cut springs are illegal isn't because there's some import hating ogre that makes up rules just to screw guys like you over - it's because they're unsafe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 6805959)
I'm not saying he was wrong nor am I refuting his point. But another that "anology" all cars with lowering springs are unsafe as they do the exact same thing as cut springs (assuming you don't put shortened shocks/struts in in it)

edit: and yes, looks are a fair good reason why i'm doing it

If you actually believe that lowering springs and cut springs do the exact same thing, then there's no point in trying to explain anything to you - you're like Timpo - you just don't get it.

Lomac 02-06-2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berzerker (Post 6805968)
Another point on lowering springs is that even though they may be the same height as cut springs, they are progressive and do a better job at preventing bottoming out. What your car hits the bump stops that is where the danger lies.

Berz out.

:thumbsup:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty (Post 6805987)
Yup, done a fair amount of reading. Driven my old car which is now on cut springs, I know what i'm getting myself into. Thanks for being cool about it haha and having real world knowledge

I've driven pretty much every possible setup out there when it comes to lowered cars, from cut springs on 20 year old shocks in my old Nissan 200sx right up to a full-blown MK1 Jetta auto-x track car with close to $10k in suspension modifications alone, and almost everything in between. Let me state that there's a huge difference between riding on cut springs and lowered cars with stock shocks. As stated, lowered springs tend to be progressive, which help prevent the car from bottoming out on the bump stops. Chances are your stock springs are progressive, since most cars come this way (as far as I know, at least), but byy cutting a portion of that out, you're effectively eliminating a chunk of the safety margin engineers have put into the spring. Couple that with shocks that are (I imagine) close to a decade and a half old, if not more, then you're creating for yourself a large safety hazard, as well as a potential mechanical disaster. Yes, many people used to cut their springs "back in the day" but chances are they were going purely for the look, nothing more.

That said, cutting springs can positively affect your spring rate, if done correctly. It can be done in a manner that wont be too bad, safety wise, but it takes a lot of effort and knowledge. But for this, you have to base what you cut off by the spring rate you want, not the ride height. I'm not sure what the Volvo springs look like, but many springs have tapered ends and if they're not cut properly, they wont sit on the perch properly anymore. Also, as stated, do not use anything that throws heat. That will change the spring rate just as much as cutting off too many (or too few) coils. Chances are if you're doing just for looks, you're going to create for yourself too many hassles that will outweigh the pro's of how it looks.

GabAlmighty 03-13-2010 11:52 AM

Can someone update that cutting springs thread I had on Revscene for me. I got a 7 day ban for stirring the pot...

Anyways, went over to Mikes house today and we both had a nice learning experience cutting the springs. Everything went according to plan except the fronts where we couldn't get the top strut bolt loose so we just cut the spring with it all together (BIG BANG!).

I cut 3.5 coils all around. I wanted to do 2.5 but we fucked up on the first one so I had to bite the bullet. Was worried right after because my exhaust was dragging... Turns out it was just my exhaust clamp that had the threads pointed to the ground, quick little flip and she's good to go (think I need to tighten it down, I can smell carbon monoxide and my ears hurt).

Moreover, the car is now silly low and it's awesome. I can't take ppl in the back seat cuz it'll drag the exhaust so that's gonna come out. It handles really well and bounces all over the place.

All the pics:
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010412.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010413.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010414.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010415.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010416.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010417.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010418.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010420.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010421.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010422.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010431.jpg

http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/r...u/P1010428.jpg

jlenko 03-13-2010 12:26 PM

It all makes sense now. I see the "N"!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabAlmighty
It handles really well and bounces all over the place.

Yeah, because that's not contradicting yourself or anything :haha:

Try not to kill anyone else, when you lose control with it bouncing all over the place.

GabAlmighty 03-13-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlenko (Post 6858155)
It all makes sense now. I see the "N"!

Was supposed to get rid of that pull me over sticker in December

Shun Izaki 03-13-2010 02:33 PM

lol, have fun with that... cut springs = awesome bucko