REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,185 Times in 304 Posts
Having to display Temporary Permit on a motorcycle

I was told by a number of autoplan agents that I dont have to display the permit on my bike and can keep it in my pocket, so that i can show it if pulled over... I've also heard of people getting tickets for not having the permit displayed. Now i understand that it would be a lot easier to just display the permit and avoid the hassle of getting pulled over and checked for insurance, but out of curiosity, does it actually have to be displayed on a motorcycle?
I rode around all day on saturday, passed a few cops and didnt get pulled over. Had the permit in my pocket the whole time
Advertisement

A car can be only 2 out of the 3.
xpl0sive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #2
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Why is it always the condemners that pull complete 180s when they need help? These guys blame cops for doing bad jobs and say they power trip and are all useless but when they need help, who do they go to first? Yeah, that's right. The very same people they were condemning.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:37 PM   #3

umm I'm asking a question to find out if something I'm doing will get me pulled over... I am still entitled to my opinion about the cops that have no idea what they are doing and are only in it for the badge and the gun...

Old 02-08-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,317 Times in 419 Posts
Why dont you just make a photo copy and put that on your ride and if you get pulled then you have the original in your pocket.. Also if someone were to steal your copy off the bike atleast you still have the original.. WIN WIN..

Current:
2001 Honda Odyssey (Toy Hauler/ bad weather DD)
2014 Honda Grom (Toy & Shenanigans)
Kayo MR125 Race Bike (MiniGP Racing)
1971 MG MGB Tourer (Budget Build/pleasure)

Past:
2009 Toyota Corolla CE (Donated to little sister)
2007 Honda Ruckus (Toy)
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto (Wheelie Machine)
2001 Honda S2000 (Weekend/Track/AutoX)
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xpl0sive View Post
umm I'm asking a question to find out if something I'm doing will get me pulled over... I am still entitled to my opinion about the cops that have no idea what they are doing and are only in it for the badge and the gun...
Ah, so there is a difference in moral standards.

If you have a question, a cop must answer it otherwise they are unfit for duty and "have no idea what they are doing".

But if the cop is to ask you a question (to just do his job), they are power tripping and "only in it for the badge and the gun".

I see how it is. A one way street where you can have both your cake and eat it too. I guess these good for nothing cops will be nice enough to answer the question for you but if they don't, I guess they are just confirming your "opinion" that they are useless and have no idea what they are doing.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:41 PM   #6
I bringith the lowerballerith

Unfortunately, that is the way many people think these days.

However, to answer the original poster's question:

Yes, you must display it. You must display the original. Fail to do either may result in a) Fail to display licence plate, or b) Improper display of plate, respectively.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #7
Retired Traffic Cop

Stick it in a Ziploc bag and tape it in place over the old plate, or if you don't have an old plate, but something similar there first.

If you don't have to display it, it will say so on the permit. If you can't find something that exempts you from display, I don't think I would rely on the clerk's advice. They mean well, but they sometimes don't know the rules. In this case, they are found in Division 14 MVAR

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:22 PM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

You are supposed to display it.. its a temp permit just tape it to the back of your helmet.. or jacket.. then your good..

I do the pocket thing as well.. have been pulled over a couple times.. the cops always understand..

Its up to you..
Old 02-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Xplosive, why not do us all a favour and read out what it says on the permit. If you do that then all this conjecture is gone and you really know what you have to do. Enquiring minds want to know.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:19 PM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

It has to be displayed.. its the same as the temp permit that you get for your car..

i suspect the the ICBC brokers are giving out there own opinions on the matter.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #11

I was told by an icbc broker that at the "autoplan School" they are taught that poeple dont have to display it on a motorcycle... thats why i posted the question. I did read the permit, and it says that it must be displayed, and i get that... anyways, doesnt matter now, i got a plate and put it on the back of my bike

Old 02-18-2010, 12:29 PM   #12
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Thank you for the difinitive answer. If the conditions printed on the TOP say to display it, then you must. One doesn't always get correct technical info from counter staff at Autoplan stores. Things like...you don't need a front plate, or you can just put your plate on the dash...got told that too many times to be a coincidence. Not to pick on the staff, and I have several who are friends, but they are hired to issue paperwork, not to be traffic consultants. Should be a no-brainer for them to read the paperwork they are issuing.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote