REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Toyota faces lawsuits over shrinking resale values

By Steve Gorman Steve Gorman – Wed Feb 10, 8:32 pm ET
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Added to a wave of personal injury lawsuits stemming from Toyota's massive recall, the automaker faces a growing number of consumer class-action cases -- more than 40 so far -- over the shrinking resale value of its cars.

Consumer lawsuits seeking economic damages for diminished value or lost use of a recalled Toyota vehicle have been filed in at least 30 states, mostly in federal court, and could end up costing the car maker over $2 billion, Tim Howard, lead counsel for a team of law firms handling about half the cases, estimated.

All the federal suits would be consolidated into a single class action in the next three to four months, following a hearing before a panel of judges set for March 25 in U.S. District Court in San Diego, Howard said.

Toyota Motor Corp's U.S. operations are based in California. A company spokesman declined to comment.

Litigation against the cash-rich Japanese automaker has mounted quickly in the weeks since it began the biggest recall in its history for repairs to ill-fitting floor mats and sticking gas pedals it blames for instances of unintended, sudden acceleration in its vehicles.

This week a separate recall was announced for braking flaws reported in Toyota's top-selling hybrid car, the Prius, and U.S. regulators say they are reviewing dozens of complaints of potential steering problems in new Toyota Corollas.

Toyota has recalled some 8.5 million vehicles.

Lawsuits related to injuries and death are the most obvious cases being brought against Toyota. Up to 19 U.S. crash deaths over the past decade may be linked to accelerator-related issues at Toyota, congressional officials have said. An unknown number of injuries also are likely to spur legal action.

A class-action suit was filed in Los Angeles on Monday on behalf of U.S. shareholders accusing Toyota of misleading investors.

Howard, a Northeastern University law professor, said the consumer class actions are based on the premise that for Toyota car buyers "if you went to sell your car today, it's worth a lot less than it was two weeks ago."

Major automobile valuation services like Edmonds and Kelley Blue Book have downgraded the resale value of Toyotas by as much as 3.5 percent, and further decreases up to 6 percent can be expected, Howard said.

Toyota has long boasted one of the industry's highest resale values for its vehicles, as well as a superb record of reliability and safety -- all major factors in the company's success in the U.S. market .

Class-action lawsuits are predominantly a U.S. phenomenon, involving a large group of plaintiffs who bring similar claims to court collectively.

Toyota is not the first car company to face such legal actions. In 2008, Ford Motor Co agreed to payouts of up to $500 per plaintiff, in the form of discount vouchers, to settle a diminished-value case on behalf of 800,000 customers after a tire recall prompted concerns about potential rollover crashes in its Explorer sport utility vehicle.

(Reporting by Steve Gorman, Editing by Dan Whitcomb, Leslie Gevirtz)
Advertisement
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
The "You'd Know" Moderator

Hara-kiri time.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
I am on the internets

Jah, do you have the link to the article?
thanks
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

LOL!

People should be used to this... all the domestics they USED to buy, depreciated like crazy as soon as you drove them off the lot. Forgotten already? Stupid sue-happy Yankees!
Old 02-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Sucks for the owners for sure, but please tell me the customers aren't winning these lawsuits. Nobody buys a run-of-the-mill Toyota as an investment.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:09 AM   #6
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Lame lawsuit.

The ones that are going to get Toyota are the wrongful death lawsuits and insurance companies going after them.

I like how the Toyota press release for the recall said there were no reported injuries or deaths when the government says there have been at least 19 deaths.

There was a fatal crash almost 1.5 years ago involving a Toyota that's part of the pedal recall. ICBC investigators thought there was a throttle related failure that caused the accident, but Toyota denied it. ICBC decided that instead of scrapping the car to seal it and put it into storage. Guess what they're doing now? Going over the car to see if the pedal is the problem, and if it is then they will go after Toyota for damages they paid out for the death involved.

ICBC now has 2 full time investigators going over all Toyota crashes that fit the profile of a stuck throttle. Now why do you think ICBC cares about accidents where they already paid out money? Simple, they want that money back and who do you think they're going to expect to pay that money?

This is going to be a financial disaster for Toyota. Insurance companies all across North America are doing the same thing. And how many people who had an accident and thought it was driver error (so they never put on the claim saying the vehicle throttle stuck) simply got their car fixed thinking they caused it? How many of those people are now looking back at their previous accident? How many people who own Toyotas simply accept them as being 100% reliable and when they crashed assumed it was driver error due to Toyotas excellent reputation? If they were driving a Ford they'd file a report with NHTSA based on reputation alone. What if this happened in an Audi?

Speaking of Ford and Audi, here are some interesting numbers:

- The famous Ford Pinto, which had a gas tank that could explode if you were rear-ended, had a total of 27 fatalities related to the problem.
- The Audi 5000 unintended acceleration problem that almost ended Audi in North America, only had 7 reported deaths.

Look at what these two incidents did for the reputation of Ford and Audi. Now NHTSA is saying 19 deaths from the Toyota issue, and the investigations haven't even finished. How many more will appear?

I think this shows the league Toyota is now in and how serious this will affect their business. This could be the most damaging recall ever to hit a car company.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
Banned (BBM)

toyota is seriously going down this time...
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
Marcosexual Fan Club, CEO

I'm going to speculate that 95% of the accidents are the result of idiot toyota owners who confuse a gas pedal with a brake pedal...just like in the Audi 5000.

This issue is being blown way out of proportion by the media. Give it 6 mts, and it will be a distant memory and have little to no effect on Toyota's sales.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:02 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post
How many people who own Toyotas simply accept them as being 100% reliable
Well, that's the problem now, isn't it? People are stupid.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
I haven't really read too much into this recall and the mechanics behind them, but does Toyota use drive by wire or cable?
Posted via RS Mobile
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:40 AM   #11
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

hmmm, stocks r gonna go down, good time to buy?

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I haven't really read too much into this recall and the mechanics behind them, but does Toyota use drive by wire or cable?
Posted via RS Mobile
Drive by wire. also steering is all electronic.. No steering fluid needed.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by q0192837465 View Post
hmmm, stocks r gonna go down, good time to buy?
i was thinking about that as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
Drive by wire. also steering is all electronic.. No steering fluid needed.
@@ didnt know that...cool
Old 02-11-2010, 01:09 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
i was thinking about that as well

@@ didnt know that...cool
Sounds cool but in a way but not very...

Drive by wire on the corolla is very slow.. One time i tried to beat a tercel at a red light. both lanes eventually merge into one.. Since i drive an auto i put my gear in low.. Green light came stepped on the pedal and got a 1 sec lag befor my car ever booted off.. All in all almost didnt beat the 90's tercel.. Sad...

Electronic steering is pretty gay imo.. Everytime i drive on the highway and get a crosswind my car weaves righ and left... Makes me feel like i'm drunk...
2 hands on the wheel or not. Although i do like the fact that i can turn any corner using my pinky... Not recommended though.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

vtec lag is horrible as well. Floor the pedal but no power until the rev is at 4400rpm.

I think if honda made vtec kicked in at 2000rpm, they will sell a lot more cars. IMO
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
Jah, do you have the link to the article?
thanks
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100211/...oyota_lawsuits
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Posted via RS Mobile
Drive-by-wire on the affected vehicles. Problem is inside the accelerator pedal which can cause it to stick or bind.

As was mentioned in a different thread, apparently Toyota doesn't have the very simple safety feature of other manufacturers whereby stepping on the brake and throttle at the same time causes the engine to reduce power as it sees this as a fault. Vehicles will allow this to an extent (like when you're on a steep hill and give throttle before releasing the brake to avoid rolling back), but there's no reason for full throttle (or even half) when the brake pedal is on.

This simple feature would have prevented the deaths of the police officer and his family in California in the runaway Lexus. I'd put money that Toyota will (or has already) add this feature to new cars and will update software in current vehicles.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:38 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
vtec lag is horrible as well. Floor the pedal but no power until the rev is at 4400rpm.

I think if honda made vtec kicked in at 2000rpm, they will sell a lot more cars. IMO
Do you even understand the reason for Vtec?
jeff_alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #19
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
Quote:
This simple feature would have prevented the deaths of the police officer and his family in California in the runaway Lexus. I'd put money that Toyota will (or has already) add this feature to new cars and will update software in current vehicles.
That police officer reading his owner's manual and knowing how to turn his Lexus off or shifting into neutral would have saved his life
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
That police officer reading his owner's manual and knowing how to turn his Lexus off or shifting into neutral would have saved his life
It was a loaner from the dealer, not his personal car.

In case you missed the other thread, this is a quote taken directly from Toyota's website on how to deal with a runaway car:

- Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine.
- If unable to put the vehicle in Neutral...

Now why whould they make a comment about being unable to shift the car into neutral?
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #22
RS controls my life!

Quote:

you do know what vtec does right? and you do know why they created the vtec system right?
RenoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #24
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_alexander View Post
Do you even understand the reason for Vtec?
obviously not, he is thinking SOHC

or I-VTEC which is always on just like VVTi but DOHC has a 2nd set of cams
Old 02-12-2010, 11:19 AM   #25

Quote:
Now why whould they make a comment about being unable to shift the car into neutral?
Have you ever seen a Lexus' shift gate? It's hard enough to shift gears without being under the stress of a vehicle accelerating out of control:

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/g/l/1/..._ShiftGate.jpg

You have to hit Neutral, which is right in the middle. Push too far, and you're not in Neutral anymore...