REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #1
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Famous Fashion Designer Dead (Alexander McQueen)

Quote:

World
Fashion designer McQueen dead: report

By QMI Agency

British fashion designer Alexander McQueen was found dead in his London home earlier Feb. 11, 2010, local media reported. REUTERS/Pascal Rossignol/Files

The U.K.'s Daily Mail newspaper is reporting that prominent fashion designer Alexander McQueen has committed suicide.

The 40-year-old's death comes only days before he was to appear at London's Fashion Week.

Born Lee Alexander McQueen, he was the youngest of six children. He left school at the age of 16 to start a career as a tailor, then worked developing theatre costumes in London before moving to Japan and then Italy.

By 1996 he was the head designer at Givenchy, taking over from fashion legend John Galliano.

Sources at McQueen's office told the Daily Mail that they are withholding statements for the time being out of respect for the designer's family.

McQueen was scheduled to unveil his latest collection at Paris Fashion Week on March 9.
http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/world.../12837281.html

edit: better story on bbc

Quote:
The fashion designer Alexander McQueen has been found dead, his company said.

His office confirmed to the BBC that Mr McQueen, 40, was discovered at his London home this morning.

Paramedics called to the Mayfair property pronounced him dead at the scene. Police said his death was not being treated as suspicious.

A statement said his family were "devastated" at the "tragic news", and added that they shared "a sense of shock and grief".

In a message on his Twitter page on 3 February, Mr McQueen said his mother had passed away.

A former British Designer of the Year winner, London-born Mr McQueen started his career as an apprentice in Savile Row, where he learned how to make jackets at Gieves and Hawkes.

'Shock and grief'

Mr McQueen won the distinction of being named British designer of the year four times between 1996 and 2003 and was also awarded the CBE.

FROM BBC RADIO 5 LIVE

More from BBC Radio 5 live

In 1996, the man nicknamed "the hooligan of English fashion", with his close-cropped hair and Doc Martens, was named head designer at the Paris couture house of Givenchy.

Mr McQueen's close friend and fashion icon Isabella Blow, who helped kick-start his career, killed herself in 2007.

A statement released by his office - referring to the designer by his given first name, Lee - read: "On behalf of Lee McQueen's family, Alexander McQueen today announces the tragic news that Lee McQueen, the founder and designer of the Alexander McQueen brand, has been found dead at his home.

"At this stage it is inappropriate to comment on this tragic news beyond saying that we are devastated and are sharing a sense of shock and grief with Lee's family.

"Lee's family has asked for privacy in order to come to terms with this terrible news and we hope the media will respect this."

His brilliant imagination knew no bounds
Alexandra Shulman
British Vogue

Obituary: Fashion king McQueen

His death came days before London Fashion Week, and as final preparations were being made for a spring collection to be unveiled in Paris.

On 3 February, he wrote on his Twitter page that his mother had passed away the day before, adding: "RIP mumxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx."

Four days later he wrote that he had had an "awful week" but said "friends have been great", adding: "now i have to some how pull myself together".

Alexandra Shulman, editor of British Vogue, said Mr McQueen had influenced a whole generation of designers.

She added: "His brilliant imagination knew no bounds as he conjured up collection after collection of extraordinary designs.

"His death is the hugest loss to anyone who knew him and for very many who didn't."

A Metropolitan Police spokesman said: "We were called by London Ambulance Service at about 10.20am this morning to reports of a man found dead at an address in Green Street, W1.

"He is believed to be 40 years old and from London. Next of kin have been informed, however we await formal identification before releasing the name of the deceased.

"A post mortem examination and inquest will take place in due course.

"The death is being treated as non-suspicious."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/8511115.stm
Advertisement
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:04 AM   #2
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
rip
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
damn rip
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I'm wearing his Puma combat trackpants right now...RIP.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
RIP =[
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:05 PM   #6
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
rip his recent stuff was amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote