REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Some extremely low price on used cars online

Hey guys, I just started looking online for a used car at a lower price range at sites such as autotrader.ca and buysell.com.

I came across quite a few cars with unusually low prices from private sellers only. Such as 04 Honda Odysseys for $6000, 04 Honda Accords going for $5000 - $9000, and they are all lower than 100,000 "kms" with claims that they had no accidents and had been kept very well.

I might not be very knowledgeable on buying used cars and figuring out scams and what not, but I emailed one of these sellers who replied back in a friendly and clear manner saying how the car is mint with no hidden defects or problems. He says we can use eBay's protection program for our safety. What is that? What do you think? He is selling an 04 Accord v6 sedan with 82k kms at $5,500.
Advertisement
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Scam..I would never buy a car without being able to physically look at it first.
HonestTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #3
Banned (BBM)

+1 ^ wat he said

sounds too good to be true
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
Most of them are scams if not all.

Just e-mail them, the scammer will usually respond within 2-3 days and send you this bullshit to forward all your billing information etc... after that say your not stupid and you know this is a scam, and say that you hope they die... 20% of the time they will respond to you saying fuck you I hope you die in a car crash.... Just be prepared, it's a fucking war out there bro.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #5
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Always deal locally to avoid 99% of the scams man.

If it sounds too good to be true...it most likely is.

If you have extra time on your hands you can screw around a bit with them, but never give out the billing address, and after you've had your fun, simply send them this e-mail.

Dear Mr. Scammer
I owe you a few apologies:
� I am sorry for responding and saying sure I am happy to engage in a bizarre business deal with you knowing full well it isn�t real.
� I am sorry you wasted time to print a horrible fake check.
� I am sorry you spent $4.90 UPS�ing it to me overnight.
� I am sorry for taking a few days to get back to you after I got the check and ask you for your phone number which you can�t give me. I knew that and still I emailed you for the phone number.
� I am sorry that I lied to you and said I could not find a western union office near me, making you look them up, emailing me a list and me telling you those two liquor stores are shut down.
� I am sorry that I lied to you about getting pissed at the western union office because they wanted $1.75 to cut a check and that I said that�s robbery and left in a huff. The truth is I never went there in the first place. Sorry for wasting your time that day.
� I�m sorry I lied the next day after you threaten to call the FBI and local police on me because I cashed your check and would not pay you. I knew you would not, but I wrote you an email begging you not to call the police and that I would pay you tomorrow after I cashed the check.
� I�m sorry that I lied the next day and said the western union office girl was rude to me so I left in anger, again delaying your money by another day.
� Im sorry I lied about sending the money to western union in your name vs the shipper so you could not pick it up. I realize this cost you a day or so.
� I am really sorry that I lied and said that the money order was at your western union, but off by 1 zip code making you drive 30 minutes to find out I am a liar.
� Your last email to me was justified. Obviously from your language you were pissed. The fact that as you "YELLED� and your grasp of the English language seemed to fade away like my Mom�s when she is livid showed me what a bad person I am.
Your phone call from Africa? was upsetting because as you were trying to explain to me how to go down to western union and pay the $1.75 and you would pick up the fee, I realized how frustrated you were getting. I also lied about being hard of hearing and asking you to yell. Sorry.
All in all, I am sorry for sucking up your bandwidth. I realize that my actions probably sucked up 6-10 hours of your time and kept you from fleecing some gullible person in Canada.
Please forgive me. Go ahead and send me another forged check and I will send you my cash to your shipper. Please try me again. Even though I lied you to about 15 times I won't do it again.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #6
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hear-it-first View Post
Hey guys, I just started looking online for a used car at a lower price range at sites such as autotrader.ca and buysell.com.

I came across quite a few cars with unusually low prices from private sellers only. Such as 04 Honda Odysseys for $6000, 04 Honda Accords going for $5000 - $9000, and they are all lower than 100,000 "kms" with claims that they had no accidents and had been kept very well.

I might not be very knowledgeable on buying used cars and figuring out scams and what not, but I emailed one of these sellers who replied back in a friendly and clear manner saying how the car is mint with no hidden defects or problems. He says we can use eBay's protection program for our safety. What is that? What do you think? He is selling an 04 Accord v6 sedan with 82k kms at $5,500.
I wouldn't even buy clothes online. Let alone USED clothes. So why would you buy a car online? Even craigslist tells you.. offers to ship car are 100% fraudulent.

You want a cheap car? Check out a local auction or something, where they put up used car promo cars etc.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #7
regulator

did you not notice that NONE of the pictures for these cars have BC plates? (or likely ANY plates for that matter)
jigga250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
I wouldn't even buy clothes online. Let alone USED clothes. So why would you buy a car online?
That's a dumb correlation... in fact, totally invalid. There's nothing wrong with buying clothes, even used clothes online. There's also nothing wrong with buying a car online. I have done all three. Obviously you have to do your due diligence to make sure you're not getting ripped off, but if you know what you're doing, some of the best deals are found online.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #9
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hear-it-first View Post
He says we can use eBay's protection program for our safety.
Ask yourself this... if you're finding these ads on autotrader.ca or whatever, why the HELL would you use eBay's protection program?

They basically want you to use an escrow service, as in a middleman to hold the money until both parties are happy with the transaction. They're just saying eBay because it's a recognized name. But when it comes time to do the transaction, they'll send you a fake site like ebay.bullshitsite.com and if you fall for it and send money there, they go bye bye with the money.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #10
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,825 Times in 523 Posts
Usually the stuff that are too good to be true are scams.
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

That sounds pretty realistic

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisibleSoul View Post
Ask yourself this... if you're finding these ads on autotrader.ca or whatever, why the HELL would you use eBay's protection program?

They basically want you to use an escrow service, as in a middleman to hold the money until both parties are happy with the transaction. They're just saying eBay because it's a recognized name. But when it comes time to do the transaction, they'll send you a fake site like ebay.bullshitsite.com and if you fall for it and send money there, they go bye bye with the money.
Look at this guys, I was just going to find you that Accord for reference, but it turns out they are everywhere..

http://www.buysell.com/classifieds/R...Buy+Sell+Stuff

Including Acuras ...

http://www.buysell.com/classifieds/R...Buy+Sell+Stuff
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 01:45 AM   #12
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

If you're gonna use an escrow service, ONLY use escrow.com.