REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-17-2010, 09:54 AM   #26
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Hines View Post
Man I envy you guys that have applications available for your cars
i envy you for not having any applications, so you can avoid having a hole in your pocket. At least no temptation

Advertisement
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #27
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

So I just got the original receipt from my mechanic and also went and looked at the box and they both say V3. If for sure yours arent then they must have gotten packaged wrong.

You got PM
ineedmoreboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM   #28
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Well easiest way to tell is are the coilovers single adjustable with rebound only? Or double adjustable with rebound and compression? Rebound on top, compression on bottom
Posted via RS Mobile
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #29
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
im realli happy wif my kw v1 for street use,but im sure is not enough for the track though
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:01 PM   #30
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
i've been dailying on V3s (to be specific, rebranded V3s so they're now race comp engineering) for the last two years (that means snow as well). no problems. period.

you'll be happy with them.

BTW, V3s have external resevoirs.
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:18 PM   #31
Banned (BBM)

KW also uses stainless design, therefore rust free unlike teins
Old 02-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #32
My homepage has been set to RS

If you guys like KW3 you should check the the Eibach Coilovers Multi Pro R2 as they utilize the same KW3 strut but combined with eibach springs. From what I heard, they are bit more DD friendly compared to the kw3.

Last edited by Jackygor; 02-17-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #33
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
KW also uses stainless design, therefore rust free unlike teins
JDM Coilovers are the worst for this kind of situation.

They all rust, and they all break by the time it switches owners.

German > Custom Bilstein > Japanese > blown shocks > knockoff coilovers.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #34
Banned (BBM)

where was koni made again? i forgot
Old 02-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #35

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
Well easiest way to tell is are the coilovers single adjustable with rebound only? Or double adjustable with rebound and compression? Rebound on top, compression on bottom
Posted via RS Mobile
there is rebound adjustment on top of the shock and a compression adjustment at the bottom...however on the KW website, V3s have 2 compression adjustments, 1 for low speed and 1 for high speed?

Any thoughts? Rx_Renesis or Rich Sandor?
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:57 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
i've been dailying on V3s (to be specific, rebranded V3s so they're now race comp engineering) for the last two years (that means snow as well). no problems. period.

you'll be happy with them.

BTW, V3s have external resevoirs.
do all applications of V3s have external resevoirs? on KW's website, some pics showed without external resevoirs....
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 02-17-2010, 07:00 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor View Post
and it'll feel even better when you learn how to match your spring rate to your compression and rebound rates. although the shocks are already pre-set for the springs they come with, so you don't need to mess with it unless you are driving it really easy or really hard.
kool...I am sure that is the next level of knowledge....I have started tracking my M3 at Mission....I am sure there will be lots to learn
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 02-17-2010, 08:11 PM   #38

edit
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
Old 02-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3guy View Post
there is rebound adjustment on top of the shock and a compression adjustment at the bottom...however on the KW website, V3s have 2 compression adjustments, 1 for low speed and 1 for high speed?

ok i just took a look at the catalog for u for the E60 application.
KW makes the V2, V3, and "Street Comfort" coilovers for the E60 5er

from the information u have given, it looks like u have the V3 because of the separate rebound and compression settings. and no u do not have the high/low speed bump setting as that is offered on the "Clubsport" versions of coilovers only, and they arent available for ur

Description from KW's site about the V3s:
Quote:
State-of-the-art technology from motor sports for more performance on the road. The separate and independently adjustable rebound- and compression damping allows for an individual suspension setup for different uses and preferences. The unique patented system with its two-stage valves allows a rebound damping adjustment (comfort) and a compression adjustment (driving dynamics) in the low-speed range while the high-speed range which controls the driving safety, is fixed.
Quote:
do all applications of V3s have external resevoirs? on KW's website, some pics showed without external resevoirs....
no not all applications have external reservoirs, at least according to KW's site under the V3.

and i just took a look at the dealers locator, apparently there are 3 LORDCOs within the lower mainland that carries KW suspensions. LOL.

and for anyone else interested in y KW is so good, take a look at their site, i didnt even know they have a NA site until just now.
its pretty interesting.
http://www.kw-suspension.com/us/kw_t...y_overview.php
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.

Last edited by TOPEC; 02-17-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:18 AM   #40

^ awesome RX Renesis, thanks for the clarifying my coilover questions...glad I have V3s..it will be fun playing with the compression settings and see how my car responds....the KW Clubsports seem like one the most advanced coilovers on the market..however, you better know how to set them up...cheers.
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 02-18-2010, 04:16 PM   #41
racing & tech mod.

Quote:

My V3's only have 1 adjustment up top and 1 on the bottom.

And my V3's do not have external res.
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 PM   #42
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Hm, I'm considering either KW or Bilstein for my suspension upgrade on the Mk6 GTI... It's perfect right now but I want more low, more resistance to body roll and more performance while still retaining the most comfortable ride possible.

I understand it's going to cost me, haha.

Between the PSS10 and the KW V3, which one would you go with and why?
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:13 PM   #43
racing & tech mod.

Both brands and models are very comparable. i think i would need to compare the total costs of each vs the adjustability and features of each, to make a decision.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:18 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Hm, I'm considering either KW or Bilstein for my suspension upgrade on the Mk6 GTI... It's perfect right now but I want more low, more resistance to body roll and more performance while still retaining the most comfortable ride possible.

I understand it's going to cost me, haha.

Between the PSS10 and the KW V3, which one would you go with and why?
I used to run PSS9 on my E46 M3, not sure about PSS10s, but the pss9s were horrible...way too stiff and the coilover kit did not provide much additional hardware...you have to reuse allot of the oem shock/strut parts..rsms, front upper mounts, etc....I can't speak to VWs..but from what I researched for bimmers, TC Kline, Ground Control, or KW are the way to go....stay away from H&R & Bilstein...however I hear good things about Eibach coilovers.....
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #45
racing & tech mod.

A lot of the 'kits' come with predetermined springs rates and shock valving, which are usually just a bit stiffer than stock. Some kits come in multiple levels of aggresiveness, and if you get the most aggressive kit on a street car, it's going to ride like crap.

One of the best tricks to getting a firm ride that is compliant on bumps, are helper springs that double as actual springs. (non-linear spring rates) most helper springs are only there to keep the main spring from coming unseated, and they provide no actual spring rate. However, the helpers on my KW V3 setup are 50 or 100lbs springs! Because they are softer than the main spring, they compress first, and soak up the bumps before the main springs starts to compress. This setup is not optimal for a race car on smooth roads, but it is fantastic for street cars or track cars on bumpy tracks.

You can also get single springs that have a non-linear spring rate, but they are usually really wide in diameter and prevent you from running wider wheels.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM   #46

Hey Rich Sandor, did you specify more aggressive helper spring rates for your KW V3 setup?...do you know what is the standard helper spring rates? I do notice over small bumps, my 5 series rides pretty much like stock....
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Old 02-19-2010, 10:58 AM   #47
racing & tech mod.

i have several sets of helpers and mains, but i have only tried the stock setup so far. (race car is not ready)

each kit has different spring rates and valving for the different cars they are packaged for. you can specify different springs, but you need to keep it within the limits of the shock valving.

I was lucky in that i was able to get feedback about the maximum spring rates for my setup for my car and my application / usage - directly from the factory race car tester in Germany.

I bought the stock v3 setup second hand from jared, who used to work at HPA and sell them. But I bought the KW race springs directly from KW and they co-ordinated with the Lordco Performance Store to get them in stock and transport them to the closest Lordco to me (North Van) I have other springs that I bought on eBay as well.

Intuition says I should have stiffer helpers with stiffer mains, but I was told it is not required... I'll find out for myself soon enough.