REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Food & Fine Dining (https://www.revscene.net/forums/food-fine-dining_33/)
-   -   Tips for making a steak ? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/606792-tips-making-steak.html)

Greenstoner 02-23-2010 11:21 AM

Tips for making a steak ?

Any tips for making a steak ?? What do I have to do to have it medium rare?

Is it possible to achieve this with simply pan and oil ?

I dont want too much hassel and bring out the grill ....

ShadowBun 02-23-2010 11:26 AM

why dont you just stove it.

to prepare it just salt it, sauce it etc so all the flavor are in there.
then wrap it with tinfoil and just do it

Great68 02-23-2010 11:39 AM

You can cook a good steak in a frying pan, you just have to use high heat. A cast iron pan works well because it has a large thermal mass, and keeps its temperature when you put the steak in.

Make sure you pull the steak from the fridge and let it rest a good 15-20 minutes before you cook it. Season with spices of your choice, but only salt it just before it goes in the pan.

unit 02-23-2010 11:53 AM

sear it on a skillet, finish it in the oven. perfect steaks

TekDragon 02-23-2010 12:01 PM

1) Get a good cut of steak. Prime rib steak always goes over well for me.
2) Rarity is how you like it. Nothing more than medium rare. Personally, I love mine between blue and rare.
3) Rub down with salt and fresh cracked pepper. Don't over do it, just enough to coat it and help the natural flavours come through.
4) On the BBQ, on the stove, or in the oven. It's your choice. I prefer the BBQ myself. Pan sear, however, is great. The trick for doing a great steak is patience. If you're doing it in the pan, little bit of oil. Hot pan, cold oil, then toss in that steak. You want it to cook hot fast and have a nice "crust" on the outside. Just watch it if you finish in the oven, you don't want it to overcook on you.
5) A small dollop of cold butter on top to melt and give a bit of that extra flavour.

penner2k 02-23-2010 12:10 PM

To check how rare it is a good indication is to use the palm of your hand as a guide..
Put your thumb and Index finger together. Using your other hand push down on the palm. Do the same with the steak. If they feel similar that means your steak is rare. Doing the same with the middle finger would be sorta medium rare.. Ring finger would be medium. Pinky would be Well done.

penner2k 02-23-2010 12:13 PM

Also if you are gonna be doing it in the pan dont use olive oil. Olive oil is good for lower heats but is pretty bad for you when heated up really high.

Quote:

Below 212 F
–Cooking Methods
Boil, steam, scald, stew, simmer, steep, parboil, salad dressings
–Oils You Should Use
Unrefined canola oil (smoke point is below 225 F)
Unrefined flaxseed oil (smoke point is below 225 F)
Unrefined safflower oil (smoke point 225 F)
Unrefined sunflower oil (smoke point is below 225 F)

Below 320 F–Cooking Methods
Low-heat baking, light sauté, pressure cooking
–Oils You Should Use
Unrefined corn oil (smoke point is below 32 F)
Unrefined peanut oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Semirefined safflower oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Unrefined soy oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Unrefined high-Oleic sunflower oil (smoke point is below 320 F)
Unrefined walnut oil (smoke point is below 320 F)

Below 375 F
–Cooking Methods Baking sauté, stir-fry, wok cooking
–Oils You Should Use
Semirefined canola oil (smoke point is below 350 F)
Refined canola oil (smoke point is below 400 F)
Refined corn oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Unrefined olive oil (smoke point is below 320)
Refined peanut oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Refined safflower oil (smoke point is below blow 450 F)
Unrefined sesame oil (smoke point is below 350 F)
Semirefined sesame oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Semirefined soy oil (smoke point is below 350 F)
Refined soy oil (smoke point is below blow 450 F)
Semirefined sunflower oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Refined high-oleic sunflower oil (smoke point is below 450 F)
Semirefined walnut oil (smoke point is below 400 F)

Below 500 F
–Cooking Methods
Sear, brown, deep-fry.
–Oils You Should Use
Refined avocado oil has a smoke point of below 520 F, the highest temperature of all the plant oils.

Greenstoner 02-23-2010 12:34 PM

awesome tips guys !!!

Garlic, butter and pepper sounds very nice

Greenstoner 02-23-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6828559)
To check how rare it is a good indication is to use the palm of your hand as a guide..
Put your thumb and Index finger together. Using your other hand push down on the palm. Do the same with the steak. If they feel similar that means your steak is rare. Doing the same with the middle finger would be sorta medium rare.. Ring finger would be medium. Pinky would be Well done.

this tip is pretty cool.. lol

MoBettah 02-23-2010 12:44 PM

Use butter instead of oil.

TOS'd 02-23-2010 12:45 PM

mmmmm blue rare

sonick 02-23-2010 01:36 PM

Sear both sides on super high heat, then stick it in a hot oven under BROIL until desired doneness.

Rib eye ftw.

hirevtuner 02-23-2010 02:45 PM

depends on the cut of steak, generally rib eye or prime rib is really good
seasoning is important as well

Senna4ever 02-23-2010 03:20 PM

...and remember to wrap it with bacon, especially if it's a tenderloin!

TekDragon 02-23-2010 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo_bettah (Post 6828596)
Use butter instead of oil.

Butter has a low burn temperature. Please don't use pure butter. As already stated, do not use olive oil. if you feel the need to use either of these, use a 2:1 ratio of butter to canola oil, or 2:1 of olive to canola oil. What this will do is raise the burn temperature of the butter/olive oil so you can use it at a higher heat.

Also, for choosing a steak, I have found that a butcher shop yields much better steak than superstore/safeway/save on foods/etc

SkinnyPupp 02-23-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penner2k (Post 6828564)
Also if you are gonna be doing it in the pan dont use olive oil. Olive oil is good for lower heats but is pretty bad for you when heated up really high.

Even better advice would be to never use plant oils in your cooking.

Honyoung 02-26-2010 01:23 AM

anybody know where to get good cheap steaks?
i kinda want to stay away from superstore

Senna4ever 02-26-2010 01:32 AM

Armando's in the Granville Island Public Market has very good quality meat and fair prices. Not cheap, but best bang for the buck. There's that meat shop by the Army & Navy on east Hastings that is apparently not bad.

willystyle 02-26-2010 01:36 AM

I personally never season my steak with salt prior to cooking that way it will retain all the moisture during the cooking process.

Meowjin 02-26-2010 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6829001)
Even better advice would be to never use plant oils in your cooking.

ok, your an idiot if you honestly think olive oil is bad for you >:(

bd0n 02-26-2010 01:44 AM

1)Make sure when picking your steaks, they are at least AAA u need at least decent marbling or its not even worth the money or time.
2)Season your steak, i like Maldon or koshur for my salt, and fresh cracked pepper.
3)Let it rest before cooking(allow it to come to room temperature, it allows for even cooking), and pat dry, nothing sucks more then boiling your steak *puke*
4)cast iron pan (every kitchen should have one, as well as a wok) wait for the pan to be screaming hot (enough that when u drop water in it, it turns into balls) canola or lard, just enough to cover the pan
5) SEAR this is where the magic happens!! Make sure u let the steak get a hard sear, if u try to pick it up and it sticks, its not ready! once the browning is beautiful, flip often in order to move the blood evenly
6)slam that puppy in a hot oven 400 at lest to get to your desired doneness, i like to hand test it or thermo to get it perfect and as well flip often in the oven, no one wants a steak thts mid rare around but blue in the middle
7)Rest for at least 10 to 15 min on a wired rack (extremely important cause you will get that blood that will leave your steak make that beautiful sear soggy) covered in tin foil.
8)om nom nom time :)

bd0n 02-26-2010 01:48 AM

oh and if your not sure about the hand technique a fail proof method is, poke ur chin is medium, poke ur cheek is rare, poke your head, your fucked lol

penner2k 02-26-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bd0n (Post 6833376)
oh and if your not sure about the hand technique a fail proof method is, poke ur chin is medium, poke ur cheek is rare, poke your head, your fucked lol

Everyones facial structure is totally different...
At least the palm of your hand has muscle in it

SkinnyPupp 02-26-2010 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6833363)

Yeah go ahead and fry a steak in olive oil you dumb cunt

sonick 02-26-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MajinHurricane (Post 6833363)

Burnt (i.e. smoking) olive oil is very bad for you.