REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech

Suspension, Brakes , Wheels & Tires Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Suspension components, brakes, Wheels and Tires. All things related to how your car handles...

Old 02-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #1
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Tire's speed rating

If my speed rating says it cannot exceeds 190km/h, does that mean I can't drive it more than 190km/h at all or can't drive it more than 190km/h for a certain period of time non stop?
Advertisement
christiankirana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
Banned (BBM)

i would NEVER go over the speed rating, why risk it.? even if on the track or watever, just get some REAL tires with proper speed rating, than take ur car to that speed if you really wonna see.....baby jesus?
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

tire speed ratings are for a maximum speed sustained for 24 hours

210 E 4th at Main
Vancouver BC V5T 1G5
Telephone - 604 879 6288
Email jim@overseas-auto.com
Toll Free - 1 800 665 5031

Text 604-836-7278

http://www.overseas-auto.com
http://www.piaalights.com
http://www.weberjets.com
http://www.brightsourcehid.com

MSN Messenger z5551212@hotmail.com

We take Interac, Cash, Visa, MC, Amex,

Open 8-5 Monday to Friday, 11-1 Saturday

We have been supplying quality accessories, parts, tires, wheels for 51 years.
Overseas Auto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM   #4
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
if your thinking about going 190 you better be on a track, most tracks asks for proper equipment. Highly suggest you get some proper track tires before you go
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Need to Seek Professional Help

I don't know about the 24h thing, but it's a number that you don't want to exceed for any extended period... pretty sure it's less than 24h for passenger vehicles.
Blinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:07 AM   #6
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinky View Post
I don't know about the 24h thing, but it's a number that you don't want to exceed for any extended period... pretty sure it's less than 24h for passenger vehicles.
yup, never heard tat 24hr thing
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:42 AM   #7

For North America tires have to pass some sort of SAE certification for a certain speed.

I have no idea what that is, but to be European ECE certified, the tire must be able to sustain the speed for 10 minutes without failure. That's a brand new tire, operating at ambient room temperature. If your tire is older, it's degraded and will retain less of it's speed capability, if the temperature you are using it in is higher then the test environment, ie. hot summer track, the speed capability of the tire is again lowered.

If you have a plug & patch repair, your speed rating is supposedly lowered by only 1 tier per repair, I was told this by a tire tech at Kal Tire, but I really have my doubts on this. Anyways, basically, if your tire is rated to 190km/h, it is telling you DO NOT EXCEED 190km/h FOR ANY PERIOD OF TIME

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote