REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Employment Resources

Employment Resources THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene-opolis
Share job postings, network, workplace humour or politics..

Old 02-24-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Union Jobs

I got a random call for an interview last week. I showed up and was questioned for 40 minutes straigt. Next day I was told I got the job starting at $24 hr 6am - 230pm monday to friday. Then I was told there was a union there.

I know nothing about unions. Im very happy about the wages because I was only making $16 hr last week.

what are the pros and cons working with a union? this company has been operating for 150 years.
Advertisement
to0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
unions dues gonna cut a big chunk of your wage..but being $24 you should still be getting 21-22
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,525 Times in 4,316 Posts
Unions have pros and cons but some may have more pros / cons than others.

Would you mind telling us which union this is?

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM   #4
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Most union workers get a raise after working "X" amount of hours.

I'd say do it, even though you'd have to pay union fees, but in the long run they benefit and protect you.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:55 PM   #5
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 1,289 Times in 409 Posts
Unions are generally a positive, but it depends on the union. Which is it?
Iceman-19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Banned (ABWS)

if its for the Union of Auto workers, go die.
dizzystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #7
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
I used to work for with a federal gov't agency that was part of the PSAC (Public Service Alliance of Canada) union. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- Well defined wages, high too
- Don't have to deal with shit (you do your part and everyone is happy)
- Well defined hours (we were told to sit at the door at 3:55 so we can walk out the door at 4:00 SHARP)
- Lots of care for employees, sick leave = no questions asked as long as it's reasonable

Cons:
- Not a lot of challenges due to the highly repetetive tasks (you only do what you do from day 1, never do you take on another role - hell I couldn't even empty the recycling out when it was full)
- Binding contracts
- Union fees that go nowhere
- No real "incentive" to work hard, since raises are just based off of how many hours you clock
Old 02-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #8
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

i work for the city and i quite like the union. good wages, 4% raise every year, medical, dental, vacation time, pension, job security... only downside are the numbskulls who work here and cant get fired until they REALLY do something stupid.
Ax2-Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

unions aren't bad in terms of a nice comfy spot to settle into... but if you're really hard working, and want to climb up above people who started before you but are lazy... that's not gonna happen with a union... no point looking back now though since you've already signed on... good luck with the job
Old 03-01-2010, 06:29 AM   #10
Banned By Establishment

unions are the worst shit ever, because all of the slack i had in all of my non-union jobs, i couldn't have on the jobs where i was unionized.

For example, i smoke, and as a smoker, i take a good 6-8 smoke breaks a day, once every hr and 1/2 or so... but i don't take lunches or "coffee"s in lieu of.

With my union jobs, i was literally chained to my desk until those coffee or lunch breaks, and found that i was chain smoking during breaks...

just a heads up :P

I'm not saying you should slack or that i don't work hard at my job, whatever it may be, but most offices understand that people don't have set "smoking" times... and if you're niccin' out during the day, you're gonna be ready to snap on someone
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:01 PM   #11
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,525 Times in 4,316 Posts
Edit

I think it looks peasant as fuck and to me this is a 3/10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
^PICS DAMNIT!!!! ill eat the pate out of her banhmi anytime.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #12
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,824 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun Izaki View Post
unions are the worst shit ever, because all of the slack i had in all of my non-union jobs, i couldn't have on the jobs where i was unionized.

For example, i smoke, and as a smoker, i take a good 6-8 smoke breaks a day, once every hr and 1/2 or so... but i don't take lunches or "coffee"s in lieu of.

With my union jobs, i was literally chained to my desk until those coffee or lunch breaks, and found that i was chain smoking during breaks...

just a heads up :P

I'm not saying you should slack or that i don't work hard at my job, whatever it may be, but most offices understand that people don't have set "smoking" times... and if you're niccin' out during the day, you're gonna be ready to snap on someone
your addiction isn't your employer's problem.
the smokers in my office never had this issue
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #13
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,464 Times in 1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shun Izaki View Post

I work for the largest unionized employer in the country and I have never seen people prevented from taking breaks to support their habit.

Quote:
I used to work for with a federal gov't agency that was part of the PSAC (Public Service Alliance of Canada) union. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
- Well defined wages, high too
- Don't have to deal with shit (you do your part and everyone is happy)
- Well defined hours (we were told to sit at the door at 3:55 so we can walk out the door at 4:00 SHARP)
- Lots of care for employees, sick leave = no questions asked as long as it's reasonable

Cons:
- Not a lot of challenges due to the highly repetetive tasks (you only do what you do from day 1, never do you take on another role - hell I couldn't even empty the recycling out when it was full)
- Binding contracts
- Union fees that go nowhere
- No real "incentive" to work hard, since raises are just based off of how many hours you clock
Your experience isn't really indicative of a unionized environment. I'm a card-carrying member of CAPE and I haven't lost my incentive to work hard nor am I chained to repetitive tasks. I could see this type of experience in an office that is catered to service delivery, but in my area of work, our union has little presence at all and people are more than willing to take on other tasks, stay late to finish work, etc.

And the last time I checked, merit is the sole factor in getting promoted in the public service. Seniority means nothing.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I work for the largest unionized employer in the country and I have never seen people prevented from taking breaks to support their habit.

Your experience isn't really indicative of a unionized environment. I'm a card-carrying member of CAPE and I haven't lost my incentive to work hard nor am I chained to repetitive tasks. I could see this type of experience in an office that is catered to service delivery, but in my area of work, our union has little presence at all and people are more than willing to take on other tasks, stay late to finish work, etc.

And the last time I checked, merit is the sole factor in getting promoted in the public service. Seniority means nothing.

I have the same experience as you, except that I am in ACFO. It seems like he works in an operational office, which is different from corporate.

But ya, it really depends on the person and the job. Someone can always ask for more work, actively participate in committees at work etc, to get more experience. And yes, getting promoted in the public service, last time i checked as well, is based on merit. If you want to get up on the ladder, you have to keep applying to jobs yourself. City of Vancouver is based on seniority though.

ebee is offline   Reply With Quote