REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-01-2010, 01:02 PM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

do it !
Advertisement
boss604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:12 PM   #27
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
You don't quite get Lomac's point.

Hood pins are for preventing your hood flying away by strong head wind as you said..not for frontal collision.

What he meant by crumble is, there have been some accidents how aftermarket hood smashing straight into the windshield because the hood is not engineered to crumble safely.

yes, CF is cheaper, thats because a lot of CF hoods are just a fiberglass hood with wet carbon layer on top of it...it's not made by real dry carbon that you'd see in F1 machines, Zonda, LFA, Enzo, or any other exotic cars/race cars.
That's why some CF hood are going for $3,000+ and others are like $500.
Did Timpo just make an imformative post?

What he and Lomac said are really good points to consider. If you're getting a CF hood are you get a fiberglass hood with the CF overlay over it?

I have an all CF hood on my car and its light as hell (I can see through the weaves gah), but that thing would smash to smitherines on impact. Just putting a work light on the hinge causes the whole thing to bend in a scary way. These alone have caused me to switch back to my OEM hood for safety reasons.

Make sure you know what you're getting and the consequences of what you get.

Also follow what Lomac says and start a claim regardless of your video recording or not.
lexluthor09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:23 PM   #28
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I'm going to go against the grain here and say no to CF... or, if you do, at least paint it. I personally think bare CF, especially on a hood, looks tacky and is too much of a throwback of your stereotypical Civic ricer. Keep in mind that you'll need to delete the "chrome" around the grill as well since you lose the top strip if you change hoods. As well, you need to keep in mind that by using a CF hood, you're changing the way the front of the car will crumble should you get into a front-end accident.

Also, regardless of if she claims she's going to pay you for damages incurred, at the very least call ICBC and start a claim. You don't have to persue it, but at least there's a record there that an accident did occur. This'll be handy if the other person suddenly decides that they'd rather not hand you the cash. Trust me, by failing to do so, you're simply setting yourself up for a potential hard screw.
I'm with lomac no CF on a tsx.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #29
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Don't end up like another joe blow on the street running stock car with a cheap cf hood. Basically if you're going for pure esthetics, you don't have enough exterior mods to make it work. But if you end up deciding to get one, you should probably get hoodpins like lomac mentioned. You'll know what I mean when your hood starts shaking up and down at highway speeds.
supman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

I know alot of people recommend hood pins, even my bodyshop friends. But surprisingly, no one or rarely anyone runs it on a TSX and it has been fine for years. The TSX hinges are pretty strong for that. So running hood pins or not depends whether you want to drill holes in your hood
Old 03-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #31
Banned (BBM)

i would get hood pin, but the idea drillling into a fresh cf hood just breaks my heart. Besides...it looks kinda fugly having hood pins
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #32

unless you get the top secret flush hood pins
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #33
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,278 Times in 1,634 Posts
^ yeah, i was gonna say if you get hood pins get the ones that sit flush with the hood, not the typical ones. only time the regular hood pins look good is with a vented cf hood.
also, if you're getting OEM style cf hood and painting it, what's the point? might as well just get the OEM hood if that's the case

i agree that a CF hood on a stock TSX would look gay but who knows, maybe OP will start other mods...?
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #34
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz_05TSX View Post
unless you get the top secret flush hood pins
ya im feeling the top secret hella flush hood pins as well, but the idea drilling into my hood kinda hurts my ass

Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #35
JDMEK9Mod | DogWhisperer

Thanked 5,278 Times in 1,634 Posts
i've been using my oem style without hoodpins. no problems so far
Spoiler!
spoon.ek9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:49 AM   #36
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I've not seen a CF hood on anything for a long time.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:18 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
ya im feeling the top secret hella flush hood pins as well, but the idea drilling into my hood kinda hurts my ass

I know..espcially from JDM land and not those VIS crap... why don't they come pre-drilled? hahahhaa
Old 03-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #38
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

CF looks good
gearshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #39
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't have a CF hood on a stock car and call it a day. If you plan on modding your car and a CF hood is on ur mod list, get it. It'll look tacky for a while until you have other supporting mods to pull off the looks, but in the end you're saving yourself the money. If you're not even planning on modding your car, I wouldn't go CF since it'll look tacky with a stock car and you're sacrificing safety.
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 03:52 PM   #40
My homepage has been set to RS

well, decided not 2, i did some research, cf hods dont last (shine/looks) over 5 years. and its not recommended to paint them, as they are not even (nature of cf).
I spoke to 2-3 body shops, 1 of them was a friend, all recommended against it also.

i just have my car lowered with 18 wheels. (fairly stock otherwise) so black cf hood wont fit right / and painting is not an option.
thanks anyways fellows...
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #41
Need my Daily Fix of RS

CF for sure, its getting paid for anyways.

Definitely run hood pins. They aren't just for holding the hood down against wind, the OEM latches do a good enough job for that. They are actually used to prevent hoods from sheering through windshields (your own or the other car) in the event of an accident. Actual CF is hells strong and will sheer through a lot of different materials. Also the latch mounts, although reinforced, can tear in the event of a collision as all the tension is placed on one point on the hood. The pins help distribute tension through the hood so they aren't as easy for the hood to tear off of. Top secret flush mount ones are great and look super nice, but are not locking. I would look into Aerocatch as they make a kickass locking set of flush mounts and they don't carry the premium of Top Secret =)
1991 2JZ Soarer - Parted Out
1990 Silvia - Parted Out
2005 LS430 - Daily
sil_fourty is offline   Reply With Quote