REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Where did you learn how to play hockey? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607412-where-did-you-learn-how-play-hockey.html)

Greenstoner 03-02-2010 08:17 AM

Where did you learn how to play hockey?

I think most of the people grew up playing hockey in Canada. I am an immigrant and I actaully just started couple days ago with bunch of friends playing street hockey.

I am a sports guy but I usually have hard time when playing a sports which requires stick/raquet in hand , ie. Tennis, Ping pong, etc.. Only thing I am a little bit better is golf... but still not considered myself as above average GOOD...

How / where can I train myself in proper puck handling and carry the puck while running ???? My sticks get choppeed or lifted everytime i tried to carried the puck.... I was pretty pissed at myself for sucking at this sports that i loved and wanted to learn.

My buddies knows the basics to puck handling but they are not the greatest either, sometimes I wished they can provides me with more information.

I'm mid-20s and dont go to school anymore, so school coach is not a source for me.

Please help a desperate hockey fan who wants to play some hockey !! thanks

RayBot 03-02-2010 08:41 AM

Learning the game comes with experience. Play a little bit more, and it will come to you. Have fun....no need to watch instructional videos, taking down a notebook with tips, etc.

But one thing that will help is making sure your stick is the right height. If you're playing ball hockey....ideally should be playing with a stick that goes right below your chin.

Greenstoner 03-02-2010 08:44 AM

^ The first stick I bought was a Jr. Sakic's because I thought shorter stick would be better for me coz it is easier on the handling. I changed my mind after first day of playing because it is too hard on my back.. ( I'm about 6' tall ) Bought a Crosby wooden stick that goes below my chin and it is much easier but handling difficulty has also gone up... :(

jello24 03-02-2010 04:50 PM

i learned the basics like shooting back in high school in floor hockey, but after i finish my skating lessons this spring i'm signing up for those adult hockey classes the city provides. good way to know stick handling and skating (or running) with a puck in a non-competetive environment. 6 sessions for $50 here in surrey, which is pretty cheap.

it's one thing to play floor and street hockey, it's a whole different animal playing against people who came from actual organized hockey. it's a hard lesson i learned playing intramurals in BCIT. people who came from organized hockey just DOMINATE street hockey players, since they have the theory given to them. which is why i'm hoping some sort of small class can get me going further... i'm not saying 6 classes will turn you into the next gretzky, but building on those 6 classes is better than asking your buddies.

hopefully i can join a rec league next year.

Greenstoner 03-02-2010 06:13 PM

i was looking forward to join the league, but i have to work on my skills before embarrassed myself lol

Fuhrėr-Z 03-02-2010 06:16 PM

-Just some random ideas for a noob, if you're getting your stick lifted a lot you're not using your body enough. If you need to protect the ball(do you really play with a puck?), stick your ass out at whoever's trying to check you, this way they have to get around you and usually only have one hand on the stick. Now obviously there's tons of playing styles but this is a good strategy for someone who can't stick handle to protect the ball.
- Also practice running lines with the ball, this can be done at a basketball court. Run to the center line with the ball and make a sharp turn back to the start line, turn past the center and so on.
- Remember, stick handling requires finesse, practice handling the ball from your forehand to your back gently, don't put too much arm into it, if that makes sense. Roll your wrists and get a really fluid motion involved. There should be youtube videos available.

As said before practice makes perfect, and playing games is a good method, but I've played street hockey for 2-3 years straight now and I've noticed I've gotten worse, so you really need to keep up the amount you play. Where do you live? Vancouver area has tons of drop in hockey programs (ice/gym).

Greenstoner 03-02-2010 07:17 PM

if my goal is to play ice hockey in the future, should i start playing on ice now ? or is it better off train my stick and skating separately ?

Im not a pro skater either, dont really know how to stop nor skating backward with lots of speed...

mickz 03-02-2010 07:44 PM

Just learn how to skate first, that's the biggest learning curve. Once your skating is good, all your other skills will come quickly.

jdmhaze 03-02-2010 07:45 PM

Started at a young age, probably at like 5 years old, playing in a "fun hockey" league....those were the days.

Anyways, as many have said practice makes perfect. Puck handling is definately one of the tougher parts of hockey, especially trying to do it with your head up so you dont get crunched or checked. Probably one of the most important things is keeping your head up aswell, to make plays, pick a shot on net etc. You wont learn over night, this will take a while.

Fuhrėr-Z 03-02-2010 08:04 PM

Definitely get on the ice, community centres frequently have toonie skates, get on there and learn the basics. Try roller blading too.

mickz 03-02-2010 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaconNbread (Post 6841109)
Definitely get on the ice, community centres frequently have toonie skates, get on there and learn the basics. Try roller blading too.

I find roller blading and ice skating to be a bit different. You can always notice the players who are making the transition from roller to ice based on their skating style but a player who learns ice first is a better skater in both settings.

Gumby 03-03-2010 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 6841383)
I find roller blading and ice skating to be a bit different. You can always notice the players who are making the transition from roller to ice based on their skating style but a player who learns ice first is a better skater in both settings.

Agreed. It is easier to skate on inlines than on ice skates. Fortunately I was put in ice-skating lessons first at a young age.

FN-2199 03-03-2010 09:11 AM

Practice! You'll have it in no time. From personal experience, I started with street hockey and found that the switch from running to skating was huge. Try roller or ice hockey.
You'll be able to handle better because you literally move with the ball/puck, as opposed to running.

Fuhrėr-Z 03-03-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickz (Post 6841383)

You're spot on, my reasoning was a lot of our speed skaters come from rollerblading to ice. Or learned on ice and refined through rollerblading, but they don't require the sharp turning that hockey players do.

I play with a lot of insane street hockey players, and a couple of them em are also incredibly skilled at soccer. These are fitter, more co-ordinated, and give up the ball less easily as they use their feet a lot. Compared to my basketball friends these guys are way faster and pull off some pretty awesome dekes.

RiceIntegraRS 03-03-2010 05:44 PM

I myself never really played hockey up until alil over a year and half ago. But b4 that i practised shooting the puck/ball around lots in and just rollerblading around when it basically became 2nd nature to me. When i joined an Ice Hockey League which is also the day i learned how to skate, i was easily one of the best players in my Tier. It just takes alot of practise, and if u have a friend that knows wat hes doing, he can also teach u what your doing wrong.

jello24 03-03-2010 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiceIntegraRS (Post 6842581)
When i joined an Ice Hockey League which is also the day i learned how to skate, i was easily one of the best players in my Tier. It just takes alot of practise, and if u have a friend that knows wat hes doing, he can also teach u what your doing wrong.

what league do you play at? i'd like to join a league like that in about a year or so... maybe in the lowest tier and work my way up the ladder as i gain experience...

rsx 03-03-2010 06:39 PM

Burnaby 8 Rinks offer several beginner - advance hockey classes on anything from skating to puck handling.

You just need to put in the time to learn the fundamentals, it's as simple as that. Good luck!

SumAznGuy 03-03-2010 08:21 PM

Another thing to go to is drop in stick and puck.
Gives you a chance to work on skating and puck handling.

Get as much ice time as you can and find things to work on. Skating forward, skating backwards, skating with the puck, etc...

matter 03-08-2010 03:56 PM

Get one of those "smart hockey" balls to practice around the house, they have the same weight as a puck so you develop a good feel for it. dont just dribble in a stationary position either, always try to keep moving while stickhandling, just try dribbling everything around the house, like a sock on the floor, through someone walking by or whatever.

Also note that when you do switch to ice/roller hockey, you will be another 1.5 inches off the ground so your stick will feel even shorter...so practice in some high heels and improve your balance at the same time =)

when you get more advanced, get a cheap balance/wobble board and stick handle at the same time, it will do wonders for your core and balance which are essential to ice hockey.

Preemo 03-08-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matter (Post 6849833)
Get one of those "smart hockey" balls to practice around the house, they have the same weight as a puck so you develop a good feel for it. dont just dribble in a stationary position either, always try to keep moving while stickhandling, just try dribbling everything around the house, like a sock on the floor, through someone walking by or whatever.

Also note that when you do switch to ice/roller hockey, you will be another 1.5 inches off the ground so your stick will feel even shorter...so practice in some high heels and improve your balance at the same time =)

when you get more advanced, get a cheap balance/wobble board and stick handle at the same time, it will do wonders for your core and balance which are essential to ice hockey.

LOL!!!! High heels? LOL!!!!

Leopold Stotch 03-08-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matter (Post 6849833)

or you could stand on a phone book and not look like a fairy :gay:

murd0c 03-08-2010 08:04 PM

basicly you need someone to teach you thats the best. I actually used to teach hockey lol

rice cooker 03-13-2010 08:19 PM

Step 1. Take power skating lessons
Posted via RS Mobile

HonestTea 03-13-2010 08:48 PM

I learned how to play hockey through my neighbors kids when I was like 6 or something, they were like 4 years or so older and playing on teams, so I would just go next door and play some games with them and learn the basics, they even bought me 3 sticks for one of my birthdays which was really cool since I doubt I knew which sticks to buy and the dad also helped me cut a part of the stick so it's at perfect height for me. I continued to play street hockey with my friends until I was 14 then school started to take over. FML

I guess I was lucky enough to have skilled players next door but too bad my family didn't know enough English to enroll me into hockey teams :( So I basically just took skating lessons, then power skate and then games with friends.

the_rickster 03-15-2010 11:14 AM

use a tennis or golf ball and stickhandle around the house. i'm 27, been playing hockey for 20 years and i still do it.

the ultimate goal is you want to be able to handle the puck/ball without having to look down constantly, then you can adjust your position when one of those guys come in to lift your stick or poke the puck/ball away because you'll see them coming!