REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

tainted windows and drinking

got two unrelated questions. The answers are probably out there, but it would be nice if someone could answer me here instead (i know.. i'm lazy T^T)

1. tainted front windows, are they allowed?

2. I have my full license, well I'm actually from Alberta and haven't changed to my BC license yet. My insurance is still Alberta's. Anyways, What's the alcohol tolerance for a full license in BC?
Advertisement
genesis195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #2
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,426 Times in 482 Posts
you must still be drunk. No front tint is allowed. alcohol tolerance is 0.08
Fafine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:44 AM   #3

haha spell fail again... no i'm not drunk >< hhaha i just suck at spelling. alright thanks for the answer! even a little tint isn't allowed?
Old 03-04-2010, 04:22 AM   #4
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

ANY front tint isn't allowed even in Alberta.
and alcohol tolerance is same as Alberta, 0.08
Old 03-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #5
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Under the criminal code it's .08, but under the BC MVA .05 to .10 is a 24hr roadside suspension
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 11:44 AM   #6
Retired Traffic Cop

And if the officer can show you have been resident in BC for more than 30 days, you run into vehicle licensing problems. More than 90 days and you run into both DL and vehicle license problems.

Probably time to get organized or you will end up paying twice or possibly even walking.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:24 PM   #7

^ I believe he is a student here in BC.
When I was a student here I also ran on AB insurance and plate, until recently that I moved down than I had to change to BC plate/insurance.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.boi View Post
^ I believe he is a student here in BC.
When I was a student here I also ran on AB insurance and plate, until recently that I moved down than I had to change to BC plate/insurance.
If I was to study in say, Alberta.
Would I be able to keep my BC DL but get alberta plates? (Cause I'm positve that Alberta insurance HAS to be cheaper than ICBC)
Also, would that make my car an out of province car if I end up coming back to BC?
Thanks.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
If I was to study in say, Alberta.
Would I be able to keep my BC DL but get alberta plates? (Cause I'm positve that Alberta insurance HAS to be cheaper than ICBC)
Also, would that make my car an out of province car if I end up coming back to BC?
Thanks.
I'm not to sure about it best to call up ICBC to make sure. But as for insurance I found that it's cheaper here for me than in Alberta.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:27 PM   #10
I'm invisible

If you register the vehicle in Alberta, and when you come back you will need to perform an opv inspection, and on the registration at the bottom it will say Canadian Import.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban.boi View Post
I'm not to sure about it best to call up ICBC to make sure. But as for insurance I found that it's cheaper here for me than in Alberta.
ya i can back that up! I checked for ICBC since i might need to get insurance here. But ya, BC insurance is alot cheaper then Alberta insurance.
As for the license issues, as long as your family is living in Alberta and you are a student in BC, then you are allowed to keep your Alberta license.

But if i do tint my window.. how bad is the penalty, would it be ticket / demerit points? or just money?
Old 03-04-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis195 View Post
ya i can back that up! I checked for ICBC since i might need to get insurance here. But ya, BC insurance is alot cheaper then Alberta insurance.
As for the license issues, as long as your family is living in Alberta and you are a student in BC, then you are allowed to keep your Alberta license.

But if i do tint my window.. how bad is the penalty, would it be ticket / demerit points? or just money?
Could end up with a tow + removal/inspection + fine.

End price around 300 dollars. So the cost of the tint and then some.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #13
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The..."live where it is cheaper" to save money on your insurance game can be very costly if you get caught. IF you are a legit student from another province who is attending a recognized school in BC AND AND AND AND...you apply to ICBC within 30 days of arriving in BC for the student exemption, then the regsitration change is waived. If you do NOT apply within the 30 days, you are NOT exempt and must change to BC.

It comes down to the term "ordnarily resident"......do you get mail, bills, have cable or electricity hooked up, pay rent, a BC CareCard ???? If so, you are ordnarily resident here. With computers, it's quite easy to check these days. If you are from Alberta and get into a crash here in BC while "ordnarily resident" here, your private Alberta insurance company will NOT cover you. There is case law on this. If you try the same thing in Alberta while pretending to be living in BC, ICBC will hoop you too.
Just remember, your out of province DL and registration is only valid for use in BC IF you fulfill the requirements of legal DL/rergistration in your home province. Living in BC on an Alberta DL or plate is not following Alberta requirements, therefore you are not registered, licenced or insured. Take the gamble, get caught and screw the rest of your life in a million dollar plus lawsuit....plus any criminal/motor vehicle act charges.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
^In short... you get screwed from BOTH sides!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 13,521 Times in 1,745 Posts
tainted........ lol
Old 03-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
The..."live where it is cheaper" to save money on your insurance game can be very costly if you get caught. IF you are a legit student from another province who is attending a recognized school in BC AND AND AND AND...you apply to ICBC within 30 days of arriving in BC for the student exemption, then the regsitration change is waived. If you do NOT apply within the 30 days, you are NOT exempt and must change to BC.

It comes down to the term "ordnarily resident"......do you get mail, bills, have cable or electricity hooked up, pay rent, a BC CareCard ???? If so, you are ordnarily resident here. With computers, it's quite easy to check these days. If you are from Alberta and get into a crash here in BC while "ordnarily resident" here, your private Alberta insurance company will NOT cover you. There is case law on this. If you try the same thing in Alberta while pretending to be living in BC, ICBC will hoop you too.
Just remember, your out of province DL and registration is only valid for use in BC IF you fulfill the requirements of legal DL/rergistration in your home province. Living in BC on an Alberta DL or plate is not following Alberta requirements, therefore you are not registered, licenced or insured. Take the gamble, get caught and screw the rest of your life in a million dollar plus lawsuit....plus any criminal/motor vehicle act charges.
Ahhh thank you so much for your in-depth explanation. But yes, I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear for now based on your input
Old 03-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #17
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
tainted........ lol
he was drunk when he wrote this thread.
bui95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bui95 View Post
he was drunk when he wrote this thread.
more like tired as fu*k when i wrote this >< i've learned my lesson during first year uni. Never drink and type things on the net. bad and ugly things happen
Old 03-05-2010, 08:49 AM   #19
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Zulu posts drunk all the time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #20
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Actually more PMS than booze....looking at the sunshine and then at my bike at the back of the garage...and deciding if I can grab a TOP for the weekend. I feel the need for the wind in my face again.....and no, I'm not sticking my head out of the car windown with a helmet on.....again!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote