REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 403
Posts: 526
Thanked 81 Times in 29 Posts
ICBC insurance

Need to change Alberta license to BC on, car is currently registered in Alberta.

1. Can someone tell me the steps i need to follow to make the out of province transition?

2. Apparently i need to do a vehicle inspections.. what exactly is this? And when I pass then I can go to ICBC for insurance?

3. There is also air care test or something like that, what is it and how often do i need to do it? Is it related to ICBC or something?

4. When is it actually safe for me to performance "mod" my car (mod as in performance tuning )
Advertisement
genesis195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
slammer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,627
Thanked 273 Times in 90 Posts
Buddy had to do it while bringing in a AB-registered motorcycle. Not sure about the other inspections but you do need to have the agent physically check the VIN on the frame and/or engine block.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
I don't get it
 
alwaysideways's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 430
Thanked 25 Times in 12 Posts
Went through this a year ago. Take it to Canadain Tire *cough* (they pass anything) *cough* tell them you need an out-of-province inspection. Once its passed take that paper work and your current registration to an autoplan broker (i used BCAA) and they will switch over your registration and insurance. Cant remember if I need to get a BC drivers licence first though?

Good Luck
alwaysideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
I'm invisible
 
Edison_Chen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: 604 Vancouver
Posts: 4,339
Thanked 126 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by genesis195 View Post
Need to change Alberta license to BC on, car is currently registered in Alberta.

1. Can someone tell me the steps i need to follow to make the out of province transition?

2. Apparently i need to do a vehicle inspections.. what exactly is this? And when I pass then I can go to ICBC for insurance?

3. There is also air care test or something like that, what is it and how often do i need to do it? Is it related to ICBC or something?

4. When is it actually safe for me to performance "mod" my car (mod as in performance tuning )

Before you register the car legally in BC, you will need a provincial inspection (most dealerships/Canadian Tire) can do one for you. Once you pass the inspection, they will give you a sticker/decal. Once the inspection is one, you can go to an autoplan and get the vehicle registered.

At the autoplan, the agent will need a piece of ID (your AB license should be ok) and the registration/insurance will start. You will need to drive the car to the autoplan so that they can inspect the VIN to make sure that the VIN matches the paperwork (vehicle title). There is also a APV9T (called transfer form) that you need to sign as well.

You can pay for your insurance in one shot, or you can do monthly payments. If you do monthly payments then the first time you can only do 6 months first to establish your credit with ICBC. When you do anything less than 1 year's insurance ICBC will charge short term fees and premiums. **NOTE, if you currently have insurance with an AB insurance company, get them to print a letter saying that you purchased insurance with them for X years, and whether or not if you had any accidents. Every 1 full year, you can get 5% up to a maximum of 40% discount.

When ICBC registers your car, you do not need to pay the taxes, because there is an ICBC exemption that can waive the fees, due to the "setters effect"

Aircare- depending on what year your vehicle is, the aircare applies to any vehicle that are on its 7th year of manufacturer year and older. For example, if your car is a 2003 then in 2010 you will need aircare before you buy new insurance. If you car is a 2007, then you will need aircare in 2014. I believe anything 1991 and newer, its every 2 years before you need an inspection. If its 1990 and older, its once every year. If the car fails aircare, then you are only allowed to purchase a 3-month term insurance only "once". These 3 months allows you to fix and or repair the vehicle so that it will pass the aircare inspection. *note* If you car is an 2003 or older, if you do an provincial inspection @ the dealer or Canadian tire, your aircare can be waved this year.


If you want a sample letter for your insurance discount, pm me your email. I can scan you a copy while I'm at work tomororw.
__________________
REVscene.net

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 03-04-2010 at 08:12 PM.
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:33 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 403
Posts: 526
Thanked 81 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysideways View Post
Went through this a year ago. Take it to Canadain Tire *cough* (they pass anything) *cough* tell them you need an out-of-province inspection. Once its passed take that paper work and your current registration to an autoplan broker (i used BCAA) and they will switch over your registration and insurance. Cant remember if I need to get a BC drivers licence first though?

Good Luck
Which Canadian tire LOL. My car has a highflow cat and an aftermarket magnaflow exhaust i high doubt I'll pass any inspection.... everything else is stock. except for that and my ride high and mags...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
Before you register the car legally in BC, you will need a provincial inspection (most dealerships/Canadian Tire) can do one for you. Once you pass the inspection, they will give you a sticker/decal. Once the inspection is one, you can go to an autoplan and get the vehicle registered.

At the autoplan, the agent will need a piece of ID (your AB license should be ok) and the registration/insurance will start. You will need to drive the car to the autoplan so that they can inspect the VIN to make sure that the VIN matches the paperwork (vehicle title). There is also a APV9T (called transfer form) that you need to sign as well.

You can pay for your insurance in one shot, or you can do monthly payments. If you do monthly payments then the first time you can only do 6 months first to establish your credit with ICBC. When you do anything less than 1 year's insurance ICBC will charge short term fees and premiums. **NOTE, if you currently have insurance with an AB insurance company, get them to print a letter saying that you purchased insurance with them for X years, and whether or not if you had any accidents. Every 1 full year, you can get 5% up to a maximum of 40% discount.

When ICBC registers your car, you do not need to pay the taxes, because there is an ICBC exemption that can waive the fees, due to the "setters effect"

Aircare- depending on what year your vehicle is, the aircare applies to any vehicle that are on its 7th year of manufacturer year and older. For example, if your car is a 2003 then in 2010 you will need aircare before you buy new insurance. If you car is a 2007, then you will need aircare in 2014. I believe anything 1991 and newer, its every 2 years before you need an inspection. If its 1990 and older, its once every year. If the car fails aircare, then you are only allowed to purchase a 3-month term insurance only "once". These 3 months allows you to fix and or repair the vehicle so that it will pass the aircare inspection. *note* If you car is an 2003 or older, if you do an provincial inspection @ the dealer or Canadian tire, your aircare can be waved this year.


If you want a sample letter for your insurance discount, pm me your email. I can scan you a copy while I'm at work tomororw.
Thanks! I'll pm you , my car's and 88 that means I'll need air care every year? and I must have aircare in order to buy my insurance in bc?
man BC stinks In Alberta u can run a straight pipe and have fire coming out of your exhaust and no one gives crap...
genesis195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer
 
zulutango's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver Islan
Posts: 3,850
Thanked 1,623 Times in 678 Posts
Only in Fort Mac !!!!
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 AM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
Aircare- depending on what year your vehicle is, the aircare applies to any vehicle that are on its 7th year of manufacturer year and older.
Also, AirCare only applies in the Lower Mainland (Chilliwack to Squamish, or something like that).
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: 403
Posts: 526
Thanked 81 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Also, AirCare only applies in the Lower Mainland (Chilliwack to Squamish, or something like that).
Richmond and Vancouver in general still be considered lower mainland? sorry for the super nub question. Vancouver is confusing
genesis195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:49 PM   #9
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
"Lower Mainland" is generally considered to be everything from the border north to Horseshoe Bay/Bowen Island and east to Chilliwack. Some people don't consider it to extend beyond Abbotsford; it's sort of a vague regional description, there's not really a definite boundary.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!
 
t-o-o-MUCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 851
Thanked 81 Times in 25 Posts
My car passed aircare with a high flow cat and a full catback exhaust, I don't see why there's a reason for ur car not to pass if u only have that
Posted via RS Mobile
t-o-o-MUCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #11
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!
 
Soundy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Abbotstan
Posts: 20,730
Thanked 12,143 Times in 3,365 Posts
^Mine too - my carb'd '87 Accord with Magnaflow cat, muffler and 3" pipe had no problem passing (when it was running - RIP). As long as your engine is running properly and cat is functional and you're not spewing out excessive emissions, and all the proper equipment is in place, there's no reason any car shouldn't pass.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzira View Post
Does anyone know how many to a signature?
..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net