REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

best local sports shops to get skates

Hey guys and gals of RS!

I'm wondering what your opinion is regarding which of the local sports shops is the best one to get hockey skates from? By "best" i mean great selection, great service and great prices.

So far, i've been to Sportchek, Sportmart, The Hockey Shop, and Cyclone Taylor's online store. All of these stores are in Surrey so that's a plus. I know CT has a branch in Richmond as well so that's not too bad...

I'm a beginner so a wide selection of high-level skates will do me no good. I'm looking more at the Vector 04's and Vapor X:20 as a good benchmark for beginner skates.

So far I know for a fact that Sportchek carries these level of skates, but I don't think a Sportchek tech will help me with the process of fitting these as well as a guy in a dedicated hockey shop might. I don't want to go home with a $250 foot bondage device.

Thanks for the help people!
Advertisement
jello24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #2
My homepage has been set to RS

Nammerboi gave me the service of service....wonder if he still works there. He sold me my skates.

Cyclone Taylor, Oak and 49
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Are you planning to use these for public skating or to play hockey in? Spend as much as you can possibly afford on skates. If you cheap out in the beginning you'll just end up buying a more expensive pair shortly after.

As for the Vectors and X20, see whichever one fits your foot better, the Vectors will be wider. If you decide to go the Vapor route, I'd scrap the X20... pay a little bit more and get at least the X30 and you get the LS2 holder as well.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Are you planning to use these for public skating or to play hockey in? Spend as much as you can possibly afford on skates. If you cheap out in the beginning you'll just end up buying a more expensive pair shortly after.
well, the plan is to use these skates for beginner and power skating lessons and public skating from now until december, then a hockey course by this time next year. by then i expect to have enough skating ability to be able to use higher end skates without hurting my learning. i'm sure whatever mid- to low-end skate i get now will have to be replaced before i do a hockey course anyway.

as of now, Cyclone Taylor seems to be the recommended shop by RayBot it seems...

thanks for the input, guys!
Old 03-05-2010, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
well, the plan is to use these skates for beginner and power skating lessons and public skating from now until december, then a hockey course by this time next year. by then i expect to have enough skating ability to be able to use higher end skates without hurting my learning. i'm sure whatever mid- to low-end skate i get now will have to be replaced before i do a hockey course anyway.

as of now, Cyclone Taylor seems to be the recommended shop by RayBot it seems...

thanks for the input, guys!
I wouldn't go for any of the lower end skates. When I started playing minor hockey I cheaped out on my first pair and the boot on the lower end models aren't stiff enough to give you sufficient support while you skate. I ended up selling that pair on Craigslist and buying something mid-end after a month of frustration.

As shops go, Cyclones or Hockey Shop are the ones that I frequent most. I'd avoid big box stores like Sportchek unless you already know what you want to buy as most of their employees working in the hockey section have never played hockey themselves. Sportchek does carry some mid-high end skates at their PC location but I'd go to a real hockey store if you want to get fitted right.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #6
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
I wouldn't go for any of the lower end skates. When I started playing minor hockey I cheaped out on my first pair and the boot on the lower end models aren't stiff enough to give you sufficient support while you skate. I ended up selling that pair on Craigslist and buying something mid-end after a month of frustration.
thanks for the tip, mickz. i'll keep durability and longevity in mind when i talk to a hockey shop salesman about good beginner skates.
Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 AM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

my favourite skates by far are made by Bauer, but you can't go wrong with graf, do you have any foot irregularities, ie flatness or high arches?

is nammerboi by any chance BrianT?
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2010, 01:13 AM   #8
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I've been playing hockey for a long time...i would suggest going with a bauer skate over a CCM.
As well as palces to go, i would suggest The hockey shop. they have the best selection with a wide range of skates that will fit in the beginner level.
As well they can do a lot more stuff to help you, unlike SportChek, such as They will heat mold the skate to your foot and as well thy have a lot more expertise.
604Superman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2010, 01:40 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 604Superman View Post
I've been playing hockey for a long time...i would suggest going with a bauer skate over a CCM.
As well as palces to go, i would suggest The hockey shop. they have the best selection with a wide range of skates that will fit in the beginner level.
As well they can do a lot more stuff to help you, unlike SportChek, such as They will heat mold the skate to your foot and as well thy have a lot more expertise.
Not everyone's foot is narrow enough to fit into a Bauer skate and may need the width of a CCM.
Old 03-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #10
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Not everyone's foot is narrow enough to fit into a Bauer skate and may need the width of a CCM.
I for one, cannot wear a Bauer skate because of the arches.

And there is nothing wrong with CCM skates.

But I do agree that the big box stores do not have an oven to heat hold the skates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2010, 09:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
I for one, cannot wear a Bauer skate because of the arches.

And there is nothing wrong with CCM skates.

But I do agree that the big box stores do not have an oven to heat hold the skates.
Thats true.....i can't wear bauers cuz i have fat feet like Ed over here.

However, it seems that for flatter feet, RBK skates seems to be the market favorite now. Although, every single RBK i have purchased so far have not satisfied me in the durability department or misc; whether it be sticks, skates or padding....even my helmet.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 AM   #12
I STILL don't get it

thanks for those brand recommendation guys!

my roller hockey skates right now are size 8.0 at R width, so already i'm guessing my feet are going to be a tight fit for Bauers at D width... and my feet are really flat as well.

I'm not really concerned about the brand. These companies don't pay me to wear their stuff, so whatever fits is what matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayBot View Post
However, it seems that for flatter feet, RBK skates seems to be the market favorite now. Although, every single RBK i have purchased so far have not satisfied me in the durability department or misc; whether it be sticks, skates or padding....even my helmet.
But RBKs are not durable? Well that's a minus. I was actually interested in their 5K as well...
Old 03-07-2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jello24 View Post
But RBKs are not durable? Well that's a minus. I was actually interested in their 5K as well...
If you are not too demanding of a player, the RBK stuff is fine.
I've got a 6K helmet and 5K elbow pads and love them.
I'm using RBK 9K skates and so far they are holding up, but I liked my old school CCM 852 super tacs more. Too bad they are just too old to keep using them.

Best thing is and get fitted for some mid level skates like the 5K's and go and have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-08-2010, 09:25 AM   #14
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
What prices would you set at the various levels?

Eg. (random numbers):
low end: Less than $100
Mid-low: $100-200
High end: $500+
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
What prices would you set at the various levels?

Eg. (random numbers):
low end: Less than $100
Mid-low: $100-200
High end: $500+

Less than 200 bucks i would consider low end skates......but yeah, above 500 would be upper end.

You definitely don't want to be spending less than 100 bucks if you intend to play hockey at a weekly pace.