REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

sign ticket?

I got a ticket for passing on the right... the constable scribbled a line where I was suppose to sign.

Is this ticket still vaild, and are officers now allowed to sign tickets for the alleged?
Advertisement
jimkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #2
B&S Sexy mod

Been covered a million times

Last edited by stevo911_; 03-05-2010 at 04:46 PM.
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
No.

The ticket is still valid. Doesn't matter if you sign or not. It will not affect the validity of the ticket.

/thread

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

yea its still valid

now if they got your name spelled wrong or anything like that you are good to go
Old 03-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Double check to see if he signed where HE (I'm guessing its a "he"?) was supposed to sign, or YOU were supposed to sign. You are not required to sign the violation ticket.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
If it was not signed by the issuer, it will not get past Court services quality control. It will get bounced back to him and cancelled.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
If it was not signed by the issuer, it will not get past Court services quality control. It will get bounced back to him and cancelled.
I had almost the same question as OP.

I just got a ticket today and neither the officer nor I signed the ticket.

So, should I just bring this ticket to ICBC, dispute it under "alledged" option, and the ticket will become void automatically?

Do I have to show up to the court with the ticket and show it to the judge to verify that it is missing the officer's sign?

Thank you kindly.

Edit - Added to this, the officer also spelt my name wrong. My first name has two words, but he only wrote down one (my guess is that he mistakenly thought that the second word is a middle name). With all these information, would you say the chance of my ticket being voided is highly likely or pretty certain?

Last edited by darkmooon87; 03-24-2010 at 10:50 AM.
darkmooon87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkmooon87 View Post
I had almost the same question as OP.

I just got a ticket today and neither the officer nor I signed the ticket.

So, should I just bring this ticket to ICBC, dispute it under "alledged" option, and the ticket will become void automatically?

Do I have to show up to the court with the ticket and show it to the judge to verify that it is missing the officer's sign?

Thank you kindly.
Dispute it if there is no signature by the officer. You may have to show up to court still for whatever reason and if you do, be sure to bring your copy.

Quote:
Edit - Added to this, the officer also spelt my name wrong. My first name has two words, but he only wrote down one (my guess is that he mistakenly thought that the second word is a middle name). With all these information, would you say the chance of my ticket being voided is highly likely or pretty certain?
unlikely to be overturned if the rest of the information is correct & there.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
Old 03-24-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Why do tickets say "your signature indicates you have received this ticket," if it doesn't matter if u sign it or not??? Why can't it be argued that u never received the ticket because tickets must be served in person. If a peace officer is forgetful enough to not get you to sign it why can't he forget to give u the ticket?

if these q's have been asked i'm sorry because i couldnt find the answers to them.
bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #10
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
Why do tickets say "your signature indicates you have received this ticket," if it doesn't matter if u sign it or not??? Why can't it be argued that u never received the ticket because tickets must be served in person. If a peace officer is forgetful enough to not get you to sign it why can't he forget to give u the ticket?

if these q's have been asked i'm sorry because i couldnt find the answers to them.

Seriously? Are you going to be that big of a douchebag to avoid a ticket that you deserved? Even if you claim that, the ticket will still go through and you won't be able to dispute it since you never received it and hence never went to ICBC to dispute.

You don't have to sign it because some people refuse to sign thinking this will void the ticket. As a result, changes were made.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 03-25-2010, 01:43 PM   #11
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulls View Post
Why do tickets say "your signature indicates you have received this ticket," if it doesn't matter if u sign it or not???

Why can't it be argued that u never received the ticket because tickets must be served in person. If a peace officer is forgetful enough to not get you to sign it why can't he forget to give u the ticket?

If you sign then it does indicate that fact. If you don't sign then the Police fill out a certificate of service on the rear of the white original copy. If there is no signature on the front from the offender and no certificate of service filled out on the back, then it is bounced back and is not considered served on you. I almost always got the VT signed by the offender but in certain circumstances like heavy rain or snow I just served it and filled the certificate out in the car. If I was also dealing with an abusive, upset, violent client I wound NOT give them my ticket holder and the original..too much temptation to have it used against me. When people refused to take the ticket from me I would tell them that I was serving them the VT and returning their paperwork and ask them to take it. If they did not I would drop it in their lap in the car or drop it on the ground in front of them outside, and walk away. If you want to pick your VT, DL and reg out of the dirt, that is your choice as I have "served" you. I also testified to this in court on occasion. Yes I did drop his paperwork on the ground as he was refusing to take it from me. I have no grounds to assault him to force him to take it in hand your Honour.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #12
CRS

Quote:
If you sign then it does indicate that fact. If you don't sign then the Police fill out a certificate of service on the rear of the white original copy. If there is no signature on the front from the offender and no certificate of service filled out on the back, then it is bounced back and is not considered served on you. I almost always got the VT signed by the offender but in certain circumstances like heavy rain or snow I just served it and filled the certificate out in the car. If I was also dealing with an abusive, upset, violent client I wound NOT give them my ticket holder and the original..too much temptation to have it used against me. When people refused to take the ticket from me I would tell them that I was serving them the VT and returning their paperwork and ask them to take it. If they did not I would drop it in their lap in the car or drop it on the ground in front of them outside, and walk away. If you want to pick your VT, DL and reg out of the dirt, that is your choice as I have "served" you. I also testified to this in court on occasion. Yes I did drop his paperwork on the ground as he was refusing to take it from me. I have no grounds to assault him to force him to take it in hand your Honour.
Since they are JPs, wouldn't it be your worship?

My FeedBack 53-0-0
Old 03-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post

Seriously? Are you going to be that big of a douchebag to avoid a ticket that you deserved? Even if you claim that, the ticket will still go through and you won't be able to dispute it since you never received it and hence never went to ICBC to dispute.

You don't have to sign it because some people refuse to sign thinking this will void the ticket. As a result, changes were made.
whoa easy there...just trying to get some clarification. nvr said i was avoiding paying since this happened a long time ago and has been dealt with.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
how would u know if the ticket is bounced back? would it show up on the computer when u pay for it or dispute the vt?
Old 03-25-2010, 07:36 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer

CRS...I worked jurisdictions where Traffic Court was run by Judges ( Yer Honour) and other areas where court was run by JPs..( Yer Worship). Every time these days I talk to the Mayor I get flashbacks to Traffic Court. Least I don't have to get sworn in to talk to him.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #16
Retired Traffic Cop

Speaking of mayors, one day over coffee I will have to tell you stories about the mayor of Osoyoos and laser speed detection....

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:36 AM   #17
RS Peace Officer

I'll trade you one about a party flip flop, then provincial-now federal MP and MT Washington speed limits. :0

Last edited by zulutango; 03-26-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Alright boy, story time, you can't leave us hanging like this.

Come on, spill!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #19
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

my VT was not sign by the issuer nor me how would i know if it gets bounce from court? tia
SilverBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:58 AM   #20

Your photo is not clear at all, but it appears that there is a squiggle of some sort where the police officer must sign. If that is indeed the officer's signature and you do nothing, you'll find out when you go to renew your licence/insurance that you owe on the ticket.

If that is not his signature, then he may try to re-serve the ticket. Otherwise, if you do nothing, you may never find out.

If you believe that squiggle to not be his signature, dispute the ticket. If the ticket isn't in their system, I believe they send you a letter informing you the ticket was never submitted.

If it was submitted and there is a "proper" signature added to the original white copy, you have not been served a true copy of the ticket, which may be grounds for the ticket to be thrown out in court.

Last edited by sho_bc; 03-30-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: just woke up, need coffee
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 PM   #21
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

umm its not a signature it was him circling it telling me i have 30 days to dispute
SilverBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote