REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/maintenance-engine-driveline-tech_190/)
-   -   HELP! Where is the started located on a '95 200sx SE-R (https://www.revscene.net/forums/607803-help-where-started-located-95-200sx-se-r.html)

JCheong87 03-05-2010 08:23 PM

HELP! Where is the starter located on a '95 200sx SE-R

:cry::willnill:

I've been looking in my engine bay and under the vehicle for 2 hours and I have no idea where the heck the starter is. I've read online it's under the air filter intake system, but I pulled the whole thing out and can't find it.

The car is a maual 5 speed transmission and the SR20DE. The searched the forum and couldn't find anything related. I want to replace it as soon as possible before the day when my car doesn't start.

Can anyone help help me with locating this thing?!?!

(1995 Nissan 200SX SE-R 2.0L SR20DE w/ 5 speed manual trans)

wacko604 03-06-2010 08:56 AM

Like what you said. It's at the back side of the engine under the air intake box. You will have a better view of it from under the car, but the air intake box still needs to come out any ways. It's not an easy one to do.

JCheong87 03-06-2010 09:19 AM

Haha I just don't see it... I might have to take a picture of my engine bay and someone can point it out for me.

Oh joy I hope it can still be a DIY job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wacko604 (Post 6846423)
Like what you said. It's at the back side of the engine under the air intake box. You will have a better view of it from under the car, but the air intake box still needs to come out any ways. It's not an easy one to do.

Klobbersaurus 03-09-2010 12:48 PM

it is your lucky day, i just did the starter on my 1998 SE-R, what you gotta do is remove the intake box and snorkel and disconnect the ground, the bolt heads on the starter are 14mm and face like this, driver side[]====== passenger side, unbolt it and lift the car up, there is a huge bracket that is hiding the starter, 2 12mm nuts keep the top half on, 2 14mm bolts keeps the bottom half in place, remove the bracket and disconnect the oil pressure sending unit connector to get more room, after the bracket is removed, you can gain pull the starter out, putting it in a bitch tho, its a 2 person job if you have big arms

JCheong87 03-09-2010 01:16 PM

thanks for the information, but are you just assuming it's in the same place as your 1998?? I'll take a look but I'm almost 100% sure it's not below the air intake.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus (Post 6851166)
it is your lucky day, i just did the starter on my 1998 SE-R, what you gotta do is remove the intake box and snorkel and disconnect the ground, the bolt heads on the starter are 14mm and face like this, driver side[]====== passenger side, unbolt it and lift the car up, there is a huge bracket that is hiding the starter, 2 12mm nuts keep the top half on, 2 14mm bolts keeps the bottom half in place, remove the bracket and disconnect the oil pressure sending unit connector to get more room, after the bracket is removed, you can gain pull the starter out, putting it in a bitch tho, its a 2 person job if you have big arms

Klobbersaurus 03-09-2010 02:45 PM

its not below the air intake snorkel, its on the backside of the engine under the intake manifold, its in the same place, i am 100% sure, remove the snorkel to make some space, airbox doesnt need to be taken out, just the snorkel needs to be removed

JCheong87 03-09-2010 04:43 PM

sweet! thanks for the information and help only gotta find a new starter now.

Any recommendations on quailty brand/make and cost?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus (Post 6851319)
its not below the air intake snorkel, its on the backside of the engine under the intake manifold, its in the same place, i am 100% sure, remove the snorkel to make some space, airbox doesnt need to be taken out, just the snorkel needs to be removed

Klobbersaurus 03-09-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCheong87 (Post 6851501)
sweet! thanks for the information and help only gotta find a new starter now.

Any recommendations on quailty brand/make and cost?

call up edmonds starters, i've had bosch starters and alternators and the ones i get from edmonds starters work alot longer, i got a good deal cuz i paid cash