REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech

Maintenance, Engine & Driveline Tech This forum is brought to you by The Speed Syndicate (TSS) in Burnaby.
Discussion of maintaining your engine, transmission, differentails, rear ends, and mods associated with "driveline" parts..

Old 03-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Question HELP! Where is the starter located on a '95 200sx SE-R

I've been looking in my engine bay and under the vehicle for 2 hours and I have no idea where the heck the starter is. I've read online it's under the air filter intake system, but I pulled the whole thing out and can't find it.

The car is a maual 5 speed transmission and the SR20DE. The searched the forum and couldn't find anything related. I want to replace it as soon as possible before the day when my car doesn't start.

Can anyone help help me with locating this thing?!?!

(1995 Nissan 200SX SE-R 2.0L SR20DE w/ 5 speed manual trans)
Advertisement

Last edited by JCheong87; 03-05-2010 at 09:27 PM.
JCheong87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 08:56 AM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Like what you said. It's at the back side of the engine under the air intake box. You will have a better view of it from under the car, but the air intake box still needs to come out any ways. It's not an easy one to do.
wacko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 AM   #3

Haha I just don't see it... I might have to take a picture of my engine bay and someone can point it out for me.

Oh joy I hope it can still be a DIY job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacko604 View Post
Like what you said. It's at the back side of the engine under the air intake box. You will have a better view of it from under the car, but the air intake box still needs to come out any ways. It's not an easy one to do.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

it is your lucky day, i just did the starter on my 1998 SE-R, what you gotta do is remove the intake box and snorkel and disconnect the ground, the bolt heads on the starter are 14mm and face like this, driver side[]====== passenger side, unbolt it and lift the car up, there is a huge bracket that is hiding the starter, 2 12mm nuts keep the top half on, 2 14mm bolts keeps the bottom half in place, remove the bracket and disconnect the oil pressure sending unit connector to get more room, after the bracket is removed, you can gain pull the starter out, putting it in a bitch tho, its a 2 person job if you have big arms
Old 03-09-2010, 01:16 PM   #5

thanks for the information, but are you just assuming it's in the same place as your 1998?? I'll take a look but I'm almost 100% sure it's not below the air intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
it is your lucky day, i just did the starter on my 1998 SE-R, what you gotta do is remove the intake box and snorkel and disconnect the ground, the bolt heads on the starter are 14mm and face like this, driver side[]====== passenger side, unbolt it and lift the car up, there is a huge bracket that is hiding the starter, 2 12mm nuts keep the top half on, 2 14mm bolts keeps the bottom half in place, remove the bracket and disconnect the oil pressure sending unit connector to get more room, after the bracket is removed, you can gain pull the starter out, putting it in a bitch tho, its a 2 person job if you have big arms
Old 03-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #6

its not below the air intake snorkel, its on the backside of the engine under the intake manifold, its in the same place, i am 100% sure, remove the snorkel to make some space, airbox doesnt need to be taken out, just the snorkel needs to be removed
Old 03-09-2010, 04:43 PM   #7

sweet! thanks for the information and help only gotta find a new starter now.

Any recommendations on quailty brand/make and cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klobbersaurus View Post
its not below the air intake snorkel, its on the backside of the engine under the intake manifold, its in the same place, i am 100% sure, remove the snorkel to make some space, airbox doesnt need to be taken out, just the snorkel needs to be removed
Old 03-09-2010, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCheong87 View Post
sweet! thanks for the information and help only gotta find a new starter now.

Any recommendations on quailty brand/make and cost?
call up edmonds starters, i've had bosch starters and alternators and the ones i get from edmonds starters work alot longer, i got a good deal cuz i paid cash