REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:43 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Failure to Yield to pedestrian ticket

What is the definition of "Failure to Yield to pedestrian"?

I was ticketed with this, and the officer threatened to add on additional tickets at court ie. me with not using my blinker, apparently I did not use my blinker either, if I dared to fight this.

I have a sparkling clean record, have never been issued a ticket EVER or been charged, class 5 etc etc.

An explanation of the lay would be really helpful. Are there any traffic ticket lawyers that can take care of this for me?

Whats the deal with aggressive officers threatening to bring down the hammer and lay another charge on me if I dare fight this?

Thanks
Advertisement

Last edited by slidewayzz; 03-11-2010 at 10:22 PM.
slidewayzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

CHARGED or TICKETED?
ToneCapone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #3

ticketed...sorry...
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #4
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
did you blast through a crosswalk with a pedestrian in it? or other such failures to give right of way to a pedestrian? if you answered yes to either, pay the ticket and be done with it. you did something wrong, you got caught, suck it up buttercup.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

How close to the street does the pedestrian must be before drivers must start yielding? I've seen people waiting on street corners and people standing on corners with intention of crossing but not making effort to cross... if that makes any sense.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raid3n View Post
did you blast through a crosswalk with a pedestrian in it? or other such failures to give right of way to a pedestrian? if you answered yes to either, pay the ticket and be done with it. you did something wrong, you got caught, suck it up buttercup.
calm down there budddy

first did you even read my post ? how is it a cop can threaten me to not fight this ticket?

What is the definition of the law that I have apparently broken?
Old 03-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #7
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayzz View Post

Your ticket should mention what law you broke. And then you can easily google for that law and look it up.
misteranswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:40 AM   #8
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
What section were you charged with? With that info I'll post what the MV Act says you did/didn't do.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #9
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Was the pedestrian already in the crosswalk? If they put their foot on the roadway, then you have to stop for them, or if it was a pedestrian controlled light (ie. those flashing amber lights), then you have to stop once the light flashes and the pedestrian is standing there with the intention to cross.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:16 PM   #10
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidewayzz View Post
calm down there budddy

first did you even read my post ? how is it a cop can threaten me to not fight this ticket?

It isn't so much a threat as it was a courtesy.

He (assuming it was male officer) could given you both tickets but only chose to give you one. Should you choose to not make good on his courtesy, then he will slap you with two tickets instead.

Tickets are given out at the discretion of the officer so it wasn't really a threat.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #11
Retired Traffic Cop

It was very likely written under this section:

Rights of way between vehicle and pedestrian

179 (1) Subject to section 180, the driver of a vehicle must yield the right of way to a pedestrian where traffic control signals are not in place or not in operation when the pedestrian is crossing the highway in a crosswalk and the pedestrian is on the half of the highway on which the vehicle is travelling, or is approaching so closely from the other half of the highway that he or she is in danger.

(2) A pedestrian must not leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close it is impracticable for the driver to yield the right of way.

(3) If a vehicle is slowing down or stopped at a crosswalk or at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the highway, the driver of a vehicle approaching from the rear must not overtake and pass the vehicle that is slowing down or stopped.

(4) A pedestrian, cyclist or the driver of a motor vehicle must obey the instructions of an adult school crossing guard and of a school student acting as a member of a traffic patrol where the guards or students are

(a) provided under the School Act,

(b) authorized by the chief of police of the municipality as defined in section 36 (1), or

(c) if located on treaty lands, authorized by the chief of the police force responsible for policing the treaty lands.

Crossing at other than crosswalk

180 When a pedestrian is crossing a highway at a point not in a crosswalk, the pedestrian must yield the right of way to a vehicle.

Learn more at DriveSmartBC
skidmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 PM   #12

^
My rewording - not sure if it is correct
179 (1) If the pedestrian is no longer on the curb and have taken the 1st step onto the street (assuming it was safe when the step was taken), drivers on the same curb as the pedestrian once stood on must stop. And if the pedestrian reached the half way mark of the road, the opposing traffic must stop.
(2) dont want pedestrians to 'jump out' onto traffic and driver slamming onto breaks

180 - Is this jay walking?
Old 03-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #13

lol when i made a thread about a cop not stopping for me at a crosswalk people bashed on me but when someone gets a ticket for not doing it people bash him. wow funny how that works.

a cop once tried to give me a ticket for not yielding once on Granville until I pointed out the fact that it was a delay walk and I had the right of way.

I honestly think that cops have a qouta they have to meet ticketing wise cause I have seen a few bullshit calls that dont make sense.

I didn't know cops could ticket you for something that occurred in the past?
Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 PM   #14
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 1,762 Times in 904 Posts
Why don't you start by telling us what happened that made this cop stop you and ticket you?

GREG ADAMS!! GREG ADAMS!!"
winson604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
RS Peace Officer

Yes please OP...as I already requested above, if you post the charge section we might be able to help you and shut down some incoming flack based on not knowing what happened? Section please or don't bother, unless you like getting slammed by other posters.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #16

I appreciate the volume of responses this has generated, and I will post that information as soon as I get home and view the ticket.

Please standby. Cant post and respond etc.... busy working....
Old 03-13-2010, 06:13 AM   #17
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jay View Post
lol when i made a thread about a cop not stopping for me at a crosswalk people bashed on me but when someone gets a ticket for not doing it people bash him. wow funny how that works.

a cop once tried to give me a ticket for not yielding once on Granville until I pointed out the fact that it was a delay walk and I had the right of way.

I honestly think that cops have a qouta they have to meet ticketing wise cause I have seen a few bullshit calls that dont make sense.

I didn't know cops could ticket you for something that occurred in the past?
no quotas, as has been said many times by several different officers.
an officer has up to a year to serve you with a ticket.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 AM   #18
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Interesting, I was driving down Davie St. once, many many years ago, in the left of two lanes... stopped to let a bum stumble across the street mid-block, starting from the other side of the street... after he got past me and into the right lane, I continued on my way... and within a block saw the red and blues behind me. Cop informed me that while I was not obligated to stop to let the pedestrian cross, once stopped, I was obligated to let him reach the curb before proceeding.

He let me off with a warning... and I never forgot that little tidbit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #19
RS Peace Officer

I refuse to stop and let cyclists ride across crosswalks and get some snotty responses from some of the riders and other motorists who insist on stopping for them.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #20
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I refuse to stop and let cyclists ride across crosswalks and get some snotty responses from some of the riders and other motorists who insist on stopping for them.
So technically they don't count as "pedestrians", and are therefore exempt from the right of way rules?

I seriously don't get why cyclists think that they get priority over motorists. I mentioned before that I had to close in on a cyclist who was riding in the middle of the roadway during my N test, and that the evaluator had told me to cross a solid double yellow next time. There was a whole curbside for the cyclist to ride on and he chose to risk his life by staying in the middle of the road where the speed limit is 50 km/h.

Maybe cyclists have priority in the Netherlands, where more people travel by bike than car, but not in BC.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #21

Cyclists want the best of both worlds. Just like some women who want to be treated specially for being a lady and equally depending on the situation.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:34 AM   #22
RS Peace Officer

"Rights and duties of operator of cycle
183 (1) In addition to the duties imposed by this section, a person operating a cycle on a highway has the same rights and duties as a driver of a vehicle.

(2) A person operating a cycle

(a) must not ride on a sidewalk unless authorized by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign,

(b) must not, for the purpose of crossing a highway, ride on a crosswalk unless authorized to do so by a bylaw made under section 124 or unless otherwise directed by a sign "

I have charged cyclists who rode across crosswalks and were hit by cars. I had a "discussion" with an adjuster who demanded to know why I didn't charge the driver for failing to yield to a pedestrian. Told him to look at that section above. When he insisted that the driver was partly at fault for failing to yield, instead of the adult rider who, at night, with no lights on his bike, rode off a sidewalk and onto the cross walk
in front of the car, I told him that I would appear in civil court as the driver's witness. I also have a major problem with parents who take their young kids riding bicycles on sidewalk, specially where there are pedestrians present. I will not move out of their way and tell the parents that they are breaking the law. They don't appreciate my comments usually, but that's the kind of attitude I expect from them anyway.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-14-2010, 09:52 AM   #23
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
It should be legal to punch a stupid cyclist in the face.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:39 PM   #24
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
i wish pedestrians followed these 2 rules.

ive had some old women pretty much j walking thru stanley park yelling/swearing at me for not yielding to them as they popped out of the woods to cross the road w/ no cross walk lines.

no matter what they believe, its not a pedestrians world when they are wearing black (mind you, no black is dark enough to slim these 2 whales) and not wearing bright colors. they may weigh a combined 600lbs, and may be hunted down by the aquarium for escaped whales, but my car still outweighs them by 3000lbs.

im all for stopping for ppl at crosswalks, but give me some room, i cant stop on a dime, neither can they bend over and pick the dime up they dropped on the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
It was very likely written under this section:

Rights of way between vehicle and pedestrian

(2) A pedestrian must not leave a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of a vehicle that is so close it is impracticable for the driver to yield the right of way.

Crossing at other than crosswalk

180 When a pedestrian is crossing a highway at a point not in a crosswalk, the pedestrian must yield the right of way to a vehicle.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
!SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #25
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I'm the same way. However, if you get off your bike, then I will stop and let you walk across with your bike.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote