REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > #RevsceneVLS General Chat

#RevsceneVLS General Chat SOCIAL LIFESTYLES ADSPACE AVAILABLE. CONTACT INFO@BLITZGEAR.COM
2016 VLS Community Head Moderator: SaucyWoman
2016 Social Media Liason: Blitzgear

@Revscene #RevsceneVLS. Vancouver LifeStyles Discussions: Car-free, political and current events, random thoughts, or topics that don't fit in the other forums. Remember to check out feature articles on the Main Website

Old 03-13-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Trying to improve speaking Cantonese

Hi guys I am trying to improve my cantonese conversation and verbal skills. I am fluent and can hold clear and basic conversations easily, but I have a weak vocabulary, especially with basic transitional words and phrases.

I don't have Chinese speaking friends so I am looking to watch Cantonese shows or movies on the internet preferably with English subtitles or maybe even cartoons, but I dont know which.

I also plan to learn to speak Mandarin "from scratch" after this by doing something similiar. What do you think?
Advertisement
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:07 PM   #2
is best wrench

Thanked 1,080 Times in 266 Posts
goto aberdeen and talk to random people, especially the ones who are working in stores so they can't ignore you completely lol
monkeywrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:02 AM   #3
Banned By Establishment

mandarin has some set rules and all, if you wanna speak honger canto that you hear at e-spot, make some friends etc... save yourself the embarassment :P
Shun Izaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

just make some hk friends there's plenty in Richmond / Vancouver lol. If you have a basic understanding of Mandarin then watching some TV series / drama would help.

I'm whitewashed ish. I can speak fluent Cantonese (much like you, can hold a good convo, but can't pass as honger), but not mandarin, i can't read or write Chinese except for my name and maybe read 60% of the Chinese menu.
What i do is usually watch tv/ movies / music videos with subs and learn form there.
Luckily i have some Chinese friends. It helps ALOT! i think most important is to get out there and actually use the language much like what Shun and Evox are saying, make friends or somehow use the language. That is the only way to learn it. To immerse yourself in it.
genesis195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

date a honger chick who moved to van from hk not too long ago..
do the same for mandarine..
quickest way
Hollyshiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 AM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,392 Times in 503 Posts
do not do it from skratch, go learn a class, once you know the basics on the pinyin which is the essential for mandarin, you'll figure out how much better it is to learn it correctly.

i learnt it for 2 yrs back in high school and i've maintained my pinyin and it sounds so much better than random people who tries to speak it.

Even if you win, you're still retarded.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
RS controls my life!

listen to chinese music lol make some chinese friends and go sing k or smth
ra1nn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyshiit View Post
quickest way
ahah that could be fun..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6793026 View Post
do not do it from skratch, go learn a class, once you know the basics on the pinyin which is the essential for mandarin, you'll figure out how much better it is to learn it correctly.

i learnt it for 2 yrs back in high school and i've maintained my pinyin and it sounds so much better than random people who tries to speak it.
thanks for heads up on that
hear-it-first is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollyshiit View Post
quickest way
+2

that's why I speak Mardarine, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Filipino, Punjabi, Spanish, French and Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL9000 View Post
this is the internet and everyone knows better about what happened sitting behind a desk than the people who are actually involved.
buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:42 PM   #10
Need my Daily Fix of RS

be glad you can even understand... lol im full chinese, born from and raised from fully chinese parents that only know chinese and i grew up all white washed. i can't speak proper chinese if my life depended on it lol
yot065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 03:08 AM   #11
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yot065 View Post
be glad you can even understand... lol im full chinese, born from and raised from fully chinese parents that only know chinese and i grew up all white washed. i can't speak proper chinese if my life depended on it lol
Speak cantonese with your friends. Pretty sure you have friends that speak cantonese.
LenovoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:30 AM   #12
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
+2

that's why I speak Mardarine, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Filipino, Punjabi, Spanish, French and Italian
sure u do...cuz if u did, u wouldn't be in this forum..you'll prolly be working for the government and well paid
ethano is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-10-2010, 01:06 AM   #13
DOES HE LOOK LIKE A BITCH?

Thanked 2,569 Times in 689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethano View Post
sure u do...cuz if u did, u wouldn't be in this forum..you'll prolly be working for the government and well paid
:IDL
Culture_Vulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:51 PM   #14
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,348 Times in 1,408 Posts
fuck chicks that are TOTAL FOBS, your many dialects of chinese will improve, or korean, or japanese, or whatever you're fucking at the time.

chinese music, shows etc, don't really help much unless you treat it like school and you're fuckin studying like mad. then you might as well study it academically. fucking fob chicks is the easiest way without actually "studying", your method of communication is just slowly converted, but you'll eventually meet in the middle and it stops improving drastically, you both end up speaking chinglish ahhaha
nipples neways...wat is with those fuck'n asians! i mean you would think they've never seen a dentist in their life. are dentists really that rare over there in ricey ricey and? looks like they're star trek ferrengi rejects! fuck'n have broken glass for teeth! goddaymn! and the smell....did a rat crawl in there and shit itself then marinate in its own shit as it decayed?ewwwwwwwwww! i swear...if one of those ferrengi asian girls gave head...when u pull the dick out it looks like it went thru a meat grinder! prolly shaved off a few slices of meat! *shudder*
Greebo i t-boned some guy and killed their baby, it was funny
silvia i have a couple asian guy friends that do very well with the ladies. but guess what, they go to the gym, they dont have long hair, they dont wear orange pants, and they dont play counterstrike. its not the ethnicity that the girls dont like, its the style and personality.
450HP Supra I am about to use your eye sockets as a shoe rack for my nuts. ...something about chinks, j-bodys, I can't quite remember as I was drunk and looking for a girl to punch in the clit. Think of it as a digital urinal, and you are the mint, except, instead of actually smelling mint, you smell like mothballs, rotten kimchee and virginity. I'm about to start drinking heavily now and you better be gone before I get back or I swear to god I will break the internet over my knee and use the pieces to beat you in the deformed skull with, cock muffler.
Iceman-19 If your gf cooks and cleans, good, tell the guy to take a fucking hike. If she doesnt, fuck, that joker can have her. Lifes too short to cook your own meals and do your own laundry, thats what women are for!
http://ho316.tumblr.com
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:38 AM   #15
Banned (ABWS)

go to crystal mall and pick up dem fobs
BlacknJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #16
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,776 Times in 507 Posts
move to HK for a year
hotong is offline   Reply With Quote