REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 03-14-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

question about detailing my car

Just bought some clay bars and wax, i have never done it before, whats the procedure? do i wax first then clay?or the other way around, and is there any tricks to claying and waxing the car? any seggestions?
Advertisement
lancergts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:06 AM   #2
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,814 Times in 8,189 Posts
RTFM
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:13 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Clay first, then wax. When claying make sure to have lots of clay lube (whatever they recommend, or ONR cut 1:16) to avoid hurting your paint.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
RTFM
sorry what does rtfm mean?
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Clay first, then wax. When claying make sure to have lots of clay lube (whatever they recommend, or ONR cut 1:16) to avoid hurting your paint.
thanx, and also how can i tell when the clay is not usable any more? and do i clay the whole car then wipe it off or one section at a time.
thanx
Old 03-16-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
Banned By Establishment

if it helps, he is referring to a lube like mothers quick detailer spray as a lube for when you clay
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,779 Times in 1,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancergts1986 View Post
thanx, and also how can i tell when the clay is not usable any more? and do i clay the whole car then wipe it off or one section at a time.
thanx
When you clay bar, cut the clay bar into little pieces for you to use. Store the rest in a ziploc bag with some quick detailer spray in there.

Basically when you finish one panel fold the clay over and knead it. I usually clay whole car (one panel at a time, obviously) and then rinse the car to remove the lube residue.

When you can't get the bit of clay to show a clean surface anymore, throw it away.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
Need to Seek Professional Help

Working in a small section ( 2'x2' )at a time, wet the surface with the clay lube and lightly rub, don't scrub, the clay bar back and forth across the paint. When the area you are working is smooth meaning you can't feel anything on the paint, you are ready to move on to the next area. As roatpuff said, keep folding the clay over onto itself so every new area gets a clean piece of clay. You can use whatever clay lube comes with yur bar or you can use something like ONR or a quick detailer. In my experience, nothing is slicker or stays wetter longer than Automagic Bodyshine #49.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:11 AM   #9
I don't get it

It is very important to not use the clay bar as a scrubbing mechanism. You should give each area a quick once over with minimal/light pressure. The clay bar is designed to get stuck on gunk like rubber, asphault and other crap off, however it is strong enough to strip your paint right off. It is very easy to etch your paint and remove your clear coat with these, so never make more than one pass with the bar, and never scrub. I used to detail for a living and the claybar process for one car takes me roughly 2 minutes for the whole car. Use lots of lube, even hot soapy water works well. A dirty claybar is still usefull,it is when you can start to feel small pebble like pieces of gunk and crap in the bar that you need a new one. If you take care of a clay bar it should last you a long time.
That made NO SENSE.. And it is actually SPELT not spelled. Spelled isn't even a word. You would have to be some kind of retard not to know that. Go learn some english and then come back because clearly you are either some highschool wannabe gangster who skips his english class too often or your gene pool is so f***ed up from the in-breeding that it finally screwed up the neuro processors in that lump you call a brain.
Burvs is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-20-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancergts1986 View Post
sorry what does rtfm mean?
READ THE FFFFffffffine MANUAL

noob.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Um a clay bar won't remove your clear coat. At most using more aggressive clay will mar. Two minutes to do a whole car seems awfully fast. Claying is pretty safe so need to act like its going to kill your car if you do an extra pass.
eFx[A2C] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:18 PM   #12

ok thanx for all the feedbacks im going to try it soon
Old 03-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burvs View Post
It is very important to not use the clay bar as a scrubbing mechanism. You should give each area a quick once over with minimal/light pressure. The clay bar is designed to get stuck on gunk like rubber, asphault and other crap off, however it is strong enough to strip your paint right off. It is very easy to etch your paint and remove your clear coat with these, so never make more than one pass with the bar, and never scrub. I used to detail for a living and the claybar process for one car takes me roughly 2 minutes for the whole car. Use lots of lube, even hot soapy water works well. A dirty claybar is still usefull,it is when you can start to feel small pebble like pieces of gunk and crap in the bar that you need a new one. If you take care of a clay bar it should last you a long time.
Not sure where you acquired this information, but I'd suggest doing a little more research. A claybar does not have the ability to remove clear coat. You could clay one area for hours and still not have a measurable difference in paint thickness. You are right about rubbing, not scrubbing the clay on your paint. Too much pressure can lead to marring which will have to be polished out. On a car that it is relatively free of contaminants, it will still take 20-30 minutes to go around a car in an thorough manner, including doing the glass. Soapy water is not recommended for use with clay bars as it cause the premature deterioration of the bar, unless you are using Bilt Hamber Clay which is designed to be used with water.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #14
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
Not sure where you acquired this information, but I'd suggest doing a little more research. A claybar does not have the ability to remove clear coat. You could clay one area for hours and still not have a measurable difference in paint thickness. You are right about rubbing, not scrubbing the clay on your paint. Too much pressure can lead to marring which will have to be polished out. On a car that it is relatively free of contaminants, it will still take 20-30 minutes to go around a car in an thorough manner, including doing the glass. Soapy water is not recommended for use with clay bars as it cause the premature deterioration of the bar, unless you are using Bilt Hamber Clay which is designed to be used with water.

Exactly!

Claybar + Water Hose on a light mist setting (or some proper lube if you like to do a proper job), with light/medium pressure = Pure Smooth Awesomeness.

Claybar + not being trained how to use one properly = Shite Job
Blk04Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
2 minutes to do a whole car? Wow lol lucky people who got that treatment back in your detailing days
Posted via RS Mobile
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #16
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blk04Turbo View Post
Exactly!

Claybar + Water Hose on a light mist setting (or some proper lube if you like to do a proper job), with light/medium pressure = Pure Smooth Awesomeness.

Claybar + not being trained how to use one properly = Shite Job
so meguiar's clay bar, you wouldn't recommend using water and soap with it right?
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
so meguiar's clay bar, you wouldn't recommend using water and soap with it right?
no. use it with a QD...a few bucks saves you hundreds in polishing.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post
no. use it with a QD...a few bucks saves you hundreds in polishing.
Very good advice. The slicker your clay lube is, the less chance of marring the paint. A lot of guys use ONR. Inexpensive and goes a long way. Also good for other things as well. AutoMagic BodyShine is my fav clay lube. Slicker than any other lube available. The new AG QD at Canadian Tire is also very good.