REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.


Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #26
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 43,229
Thanked 18,375 Times in 5,647 Posts
Show us the exact corner in Google Maps, that will help determine how much was your fault.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum
 
slammer111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,627
Thanked 273 Times in 90 Posts
Welcome to the "been in an accident" club"

No point stressing over something that's happened. Roll with the punches. It's not the end of the world. Most importantly, nobody got hurt. And I'm sure your parents will be forgiving since you weren't doing something stupid like trying to drag race the bus.
slammer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #28
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS
 
CP.AR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FL400
Posts: 5,843
Thanked 3,061 Times in 1,030 Posts
idiot translink decides to put bus stops at intersections where drivers are already occupied with the following: pedestrians, oncoming traffic, bikes.

idiot translink also likes to give bus drivers all the power they desire, which somehow makes bus drivers always 100% right, even though I rarely see any of them shoulder check.

Sorry man but unless the bus was running a definate red you will be 100% liable. So many times have I had close calls with busses whenever I am beside them, even if I am right beside the driver's window they just turn into me, so most of the time I say fuck it and either speed up or stay behind it.
__________________
My Babies:
2004 Camry Special Special Edition (YVR)
2005 BMW M5 (HKG)
1997 Mazda Eunos 500 (ADL) (Sold... obviously)
CP.AR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #29
Female Driven
 
FI-Z33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Posts: 1,163
Thanked 489 Times in 166 Posts
some friend of mine works for an insurance company and once told me that buses do have the right of way..HOWEVER, if you were already at the front half of the bus or sth and they merge out and hit you, its their fault

JUST what i remember..better if you ask icbc ^^
__________________
05 Mazda 3 Sport
03 Nissan 350z


----------------------------------
Before sex, you help each other get naked. After sex, you only dress yourself.
Moral of story: In life, no one helps you once you're fucked.
FI-Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:00 PM   #30
Need my Daily Fix of RS
 
Gunsmokez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Im lost
Posts: 263
Thanked 124 Times in 40 Posts
Actually, I don't think it is your fault. He hit your quarter panel and rear- door. So, saying that it shows you were clearly IN FRONT already.

That bus has the right of way etc only applies if you are not in front of him. This sounds similar to a incident of a friend of mine who got hit while making a left. The other car hit her back end. It Ended up being the other persons fault as it was the back side. Clearly showing she was already in the intersection.

So, this might go for you as well.

Anyway good luck
Gunsmokez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:31 PM   #31
rsx
Los Bastardo owned my ass at least once
 
rsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 6,243
Thanked 3,450 Times in 813 Posts
Tough. It seems like this will be your fault.

You're making a really awkward lane merge and turn in, basically, the intersection. You should've waited behind the bus.
rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #32
rebuild you say?
 
Not really racist!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,157
Thanked 3,559 Times in 1,175 Posts
Like somebody stated before, post a googlemap link of the ally intersection
__________________

\\ ______
  \(ಠ益ಠ)
   >  ヽ
   /   へ\
   /  / \\
   レ ノ   ヽ_つ ayyy lmao
  / /
  / /|
 ( (ヽ
 | |、\
 | 丿 \ ⌒)
 | |  ) /
`ノ )  Lノ
Not really racist! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:01 PM   #33
Hopeless Romantic
 
jtanner_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,543
Thanked 989 Times in 232 Posts
^ In for pics...

I definitely think you can go off something here as people have said that the damage is to the rear end of your car... which obviously would mean you're well in front of the bus... making the bus driver potentially liable for this...
__________________
Feedback Thread (14-0-0)

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #34
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 18,416
Thanked 6,694 Times in 2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipples View Post
a guy who has his new license...I'm gonna assume he's asian too...parents have multiple cars under one name, none of which are the OP's.
Sorry that is a piss poor assumption.

It happened at 41st and vic
The alley and intersection is really awkard since the road is curvey, it was a 2 lane road excluding parking/curb lane, and yes the bus was about to pull into the right lane.

it is a tough call since my car was already turning right as the bus was pulling out (was already past the bus signal lights).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...26.33,,0,15.46
as you can see, there is about 2m distance from the alleyway to the bus stop and at the time there was already a car waiting in the alleyway intersection.

what a fucking irony, i took the 41st bus home from work tonight.
__________________
My BST Feedback

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-15-2010 at 09:10 PM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #35
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
cococly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Van
Posts: 1,656
Thanked 411 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i was turning from the right lane and the bus was in the curb/parking lane. the thing about the right of way was that my car was already at the front of the bus (right UNDERNEATH his mirrors) so i have the impression he didn't even see me until i was few inches away
If you can prove that you have already passed by the point that even when you stopped and yielded to the bus, the bus couldn't safely pull out.

Only when you could prove that point, you might get a 50/50.....

Last edited by cococly; 03-15-2010 at 09:19 PM.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:13 PM   #36
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!
 
Benz_05TSX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 4,658
Thanked 171 Times in 62 Posts
^ Ya, but doesn't matter, you should ALWAYS SHOULDER CHECK, yes I just got my class 5 today so I know. Why is it important?? Because if you shoulder check, you would see the bus signaling to go out. If you see that, you should've just stay at where you are, yield for the bus to come out first then turn. In normal cases, you *might* argue 50-50 but because you still turn from the outside into the vehicle, it is half your fault. With Translink, all I can say is, Good Luck fighting!
__________________
Need anything wrapped in vinyl? Need some custom stickers made for advertising purposes or just for fun? Or you need some Honda accessories?? Message me!!
Benz_05TSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:21 PM   #37
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here
 
hchang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: West Coast
Posts: 4,853
Thanked 3,043 Times in 712 Posts
^ 50/50 is the same thing as saying he's 100% at fault though. Both parties insurance goes up.
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #38
Hopeless Romantic
 
jtanner_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,543
Thanked 989 Times in 232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz_05TSX View Post
^ Ya, but doesn't matter, you should ALWAYS SHOULDER CHECK, yes I just got my class 5 today so I know. Why is it important?? Because if you shoulder check, you would see the bus signaling to go out. If you see that, you should've just stay at where you are, yield for the bus to come out first then turn. In normal cases, you *might* argue 50-50 but because you still turn from the outside into the vehicle, it is half your fault. With Translink, all I can say is, Good Luck fighting!
But is he point more or less that as he was approaching the alley the bus had yet to signal he was pulling out? I agree with you in terms of the well its translink goodluck buddy, but at the same time... when you see buses stopped to pickup/dropoff passengers everyone around the bus doesn't suddenly stop until it starts moving again and pulls back onto the road... I think the bus driver probably didn't notice you were beside him until it was too late..
__________________
Feedback Thread (14-0-0)

2002 Acura RSX (Sold)
1993 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo I (Sold)
2005 Mitsubishi Lancer Evo VIII (Daily Driven)
jtanner_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #39
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!
 
Mr.Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Vancity
Posts: 1,314
Thanked 566 Times in 174 Posts
shit

that alley way is a death trap so amny accident there.

this is a toss up if you really wanna know who is in the wrong however the fact that its was an accidnet with a bus makes it very hard to prove you were at fault.

where you gonig to Kent's Kitchen? I love their tofu there soo good. Sorry when I saw the map it was the 1st thing that came to mind
__________________
Spoiler!
Mr.Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 09:46 PM   #40
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!
 
cococly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Van
Posts: 1,656
Thanked 411 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Sorry that is a piss poor assumption.

It happened at 41st and vic
The alley and intersection is really awkard since the road is curvey, it was a 2 lane road excluding parking/curb lane, and yes the bus was about to pull into the right lane.

it is a tough call since my car was already turning right as the bus was pulling out (was already past the bus signal lights).
I completely understand how you feel

I also had a near-miss a while back. I was pulling out from the alley, while a Dodge minivan was turning in from 41st. That place is just too narrow..

That alleyway needs improvements.

It is especially hard to turn into the plaza when there is a bus at that bus stop and you just turned left onto 41st from Vic Drive.
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #41
private modder
 
Eff-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Shore
Posts: 6,151
Thanked 1,770 Times in 462 Posts
It's not your fault.

Well, actually, it depends who you ask.

In the eyes of the law, one could argue it's legally your fault since you failed to yield to a bus pulling out. But you could argue by saying the bus pulled out when it wasn't clear. It's not an open and shut case. This would be for a judge to decide.

BUT in the eyes of ICBC it's not your fault. The collision occurred because the bus driver pulled out into traffic when it wasn't safe to do so. This isn't that complicated.

I'm not sure, but I would bet that Translink doesn't insure their vehicles with ICBC. So that means it will take a while for your claim to be settled, while ICBC negotiates fault with Translink civil lawyers. ICBC may try and avoid doing this because the dollars aren't significant and there was no damage to the bus. You might have to fight them for this otherwise you'll get stuck with the bill for the damage to your car.

Good luck.

Last edited by Eff-1; 03-15-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-15-2010, 10:04 PM   #42
HELP ME PLS!!!
 
nipples's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 5,560
Thanked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Sorry bout the assumption. I just figured from the genral demo of rs members.
But with your case, if the bus was going straight...and you left your lane....accidents are usually your fault.
Posted via RS Mobile
nipples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM   #43
Banned (ABWS)
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 680
Thanked 220 Times in 95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i was turning from the right lane and the bus was in the curb/parking lane. the thing about the right of way was that my car was already at the front of the bus (right UNDERNEATH his mirrors) so i have the impression he didn't even see me until i was few inches away
I don't think there is a "curb lane", just left and right. You and the bus were both in the right lane. Should have moved quicker if you wanted to pass the bus and cut in front of him to make your turn.

I think this will be your fault, but let us know how it goes.
bengy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 PM   #44
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge
 
CRS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 14,434
Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,509 Posts
When I first read the thread and saw your diagram, I thought you would be 100% at fault.

But after you clarified, you might actually be able to better your odds. Though it will not likely be 100% his fault but you can at the very least get some percentage of it back. You'll need to prove that you were already in position (so like witnesses) and how the bus failed to safely go into an open lane. You basically need to prove that you were occupying that lane and was already about to make a turn so it was basically him hitting you without checking.

It is going to be a tough situation. You should call your witnesses to ask them what they saw so that you can get a better picture of what happened.

If you were already occupying the lane, I think your odds are pretty good. But if you were cutting it, you're going to be hooped.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:20 PM   #45
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 18,416
Thanked 6,694 Times in 2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengy View Post
Should have moved quicker if you wanted to pass the bus and cut in front of him to make your turn.
in normal circumstances this makes sense but this alley way is like >90 degrees since the road is curved. I could honestly say i was probably 5-8km/h when the impact occured.

could mods move this back into VOT for the next day or 2..i'm trying to get as much traffic on opinions
__________________
My BST Feedback
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:56 PM   #46
Hacked RS to become a mod
 
SkinnyPupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sunny Hong Kong
Posts: 43,229
Thanked 18,375 Times in 5,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
Sorry that is a piss poor assumption.

It happened at 41st and vic
The alley and intersection is really awkard since the road is curvey, it was a 2 lane road excluding parking/curb lane, and yes the bus was about to pull into the right lane.

it is a tough call since my car was already turning right as the bus was pulling out (was already past the bus signal lights).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...26.33,,0,15.46
as you can see, there is about 2m distance from the alleyway to the bus stop and at the time there was already a car waiting in the alleyway intersection.

what a fucking irony, i took the 41st bus home from work tonight.
So you were passing a bus that was stopped to pull into that alley way? That was a really poor driving decision. In fact it is extra dangerous, what if a kid got off the bus and started walking across the alley street? Or in front of the bus at all?

Chalk this one up to lesson learned. The expense of fixing your dad's car and maybe him kicking your ass is nothing compared to how bad this could have turned out.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:02 PM   #47
private modder
 
Eff-1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Shore
Posts: 6,151
Thanked 1,770 Times in 462 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
could mods move this back into VOT for the next day or 2..i'm trying to get as much traffic on opinions
sorry.

you'll get lots of hits here too.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:19 PM   #48
Revscene.net has a homepage?!
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,274
Thanked 508 Times in 188 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
So you were passing a bus that was stopped to pull into that alley way? That was a really poor driving decision. In fact it is extra dangerous, what if a kid got off the bus and started walking across the alley street? Or in front of the bus at all?

Chalk this one up to lesson learned. The expense of fixing your dad's car and maybe him kicking your ass is nothing compared to how bad this could have turned out.
Ok I'm not sure if you live around there, I do, and I go through that alley weekly or twice weekly. My experience is that the front of the bus stops right at where the lightpole is, or VERY close to it. No one tries or dares to drive into that alley at anything over 5-10kmh because there are always big vans coming out of that alley or police cars parked in the alley. Besides, the only way you would be going at a faster speed turning into that alley would be coming from 41st westbound with little traffic, and you would most likely slow down anyways because that bus is there quite often and is usually an articulated bus that takes up half the block.

Anyway my point is:

a) if you drive like a normal person in that area, you would've probably stopped beside the bus, looked to see its clear, then turn in, or maybe you've turned a little so that your car is already in front of the bus, while the bus is not moving, and then the bus moves and hits your car. If thats the case, its probably not your fault.


b) If you stopped beside the bus and it started moving, you're already beside him so if he forced his way out, you would've lost your front passenger side of the car. He hit you, so its not your fault. but this didnt happen.

c) if the bus is already signalling and you're being a jackass by not letting him out, and he smokes you, it should still be bus's fault because, yes you didnt yield, but bus driver has responsiblity to turn out when its CLEAR TO DO SO.

d) if you see the bus moving forward and you tried to beat it by turning faster, you're just an idiot. but because its such a tight area i'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didnt do this.

if you think you didnt do anything wrong, make sure you're damn confident about it and tell icbc what happened. it would also be nice to take some pictures in that area, especially when a bus is there.

Last edited by jackmeister; 03-15-2010 at 11:24 PM.
jackmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #49
Rs has made me the man i am today!
 
cctw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond
Posts: 3,259
Thanked 160 Times in 93 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmokez View Post
Actually, I don't think it is your fault. He hit your quarter panel and rear- door. So, saying that it shows you were clearly IN FRONT already.

That bus has the right of way etc only applies if you are not in front of him. This sounds similar to a incident of a friend of mine who got hit while making a left. The other car hit her back end. It Ended up being the other persons fault as it was the back side. Clearly showing she was already in the intersection.

So, this might go for you as well.

Anyway good luck
picture kinda shows op is still trying to merge into the right lane..therefore op would be at fault cos that means he's not fully ahead. If he was fully ahead and into the right lane and the bus hits the OP's bumper then it would be bus' fault. Your theory would mean that if I got my car 3 quarters of the way ahead of you and merged into your lane and your car hit my rear door and quarter panel you'd be at fault which doesnt make sense.

Besides, bus could always argue he had already signalled out of the bus stop and was going straight, hence the reason why the signals were not on when the accident happened. How far the bus was away from the bus stop when he hit the OP's car could be a factor in determining who is at fault if the OP were to argue the signalling thing.
cctw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:05 AM   #50
Need to Shave n Shower, but I CANT STOP POSTING ON RS
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 18,416
Thanked 6,694 Times in 2,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
c) if the bus is already signalling and you're being a jackass by not letting him out, and he smokes you, it should still be bus's fault because, yes you didnt yield, but bus driver has responsiblity to turn out when its CLEAR TO DO SO.
C is the closest description of the scenario in your list, but i never intentionally trying to cut the bus off from merging, as i was coasting up to the alleyway i didn't see any signalling or the bus moving.

Being my first accident i think i handled it okay, just shitty luck. However, the biggest mistake here is that I didn't take the picture of the actual impact positions, i moved the car outta the way first then shot the individual damage pictures. So next time instead of worrying about holding up the traffic up on 41st, i really should've just taken 20 seconds to put hazards on, step out and take a photo, especially if the other party is a subsidary of the government.

The only convincing proof i have is a picture of the bus slanted outwards.

edit: also wouldn't icbc look at the individual damage to assess/confirm stories? or is that only for severe cases?
__________________
My BST Feedback

Last edited by twitchyzero; 03-16-2010 at 12:18 AM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net