REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:44 AM   #1
Banned (BBM)

US Border Wants To See Rental Agreement?

Hi,

It was suggested by a US Border Customs Agent that I bring proof of a home address specifically a rental agreement the next time I cross.. I guess otherwise I'll be denied entry to the states.

I'm kind of renting a room off a person who is on a lease..it was a verbal agreement, I've been there for a year and a half already.

I did a quick google "bc rental agreement" and this came up: http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...P2ezQEJTJs5Ypg

Is this kinda what he is talking about? My roommate wouldn't mind filling it out.. but just wanted to verify. I'd rather not be denied at the border.

Thanks,
Advertisement
Old 03-16-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

They asked you for that? Wow, that's really strange. It's not exactly something one carries around with them all the time.

I guess you could always get the landlord to fill out the form and bring it with you but what's the reason for them asking? Are they afraid of you going to the US and not coming back?

Do you carry a Canadian passport or a foreign passport?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
Banned (BBM)

I have a girlfriend in the states. I go there frequently.

Prior to the olympics I went there every weekend for a month (she came every weekend during the olympics for the obvious reason.)

I assume they don't think I'll return back to Canada for whatever reason.

Anyways, the main thing is.. I don't even know who the landlord is. My Roommate has the lease on his name, I just rent a room out from him. I figure I'd put my roommates name as the "landlord" since technically I'm renting/dealing with him.

I was just there last weekend, although they didn't ask for any papers. I seen the officer who did ask for it.. luckly I he wasn't screening me.

I'm a Canadian citizen, my girlfriend is a US citizen.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Well, what does the address on your drivers licenses say?
Old 03-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
Banned (BBM)

Says vancouver..

I told him I had a valid drivers license..

his reply was "I can get one too if I wanted."

At that point, I figured I'd rather not argue and just left it as it is.

I hope karma gets him back though for being a giant prick.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
use your passport, case closed.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #7
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

The US customs guys are paranoid...they're always afraid that people want to sneak into the country or steal their jobs. However, they do have the right to deny you entry. Entry into the US isn't a right since you're not a citizen. I wouldn't argue with them.

Try get a Nexus card. It might help you get across with less problems. I think having a girlfriend in the US would be a legit reason for going down. Just bring the documentation they ask for, and also have her address and phone number handy so you can give them that information too if they ask for it.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by !SG View Post
use your passport, case closed.
I have both a passport and nexus card, I use my passport mainly because I prefer to take the greyhound across.

Thanks for contributing nothing to this thread and giving an answer to not what I asked.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-16-2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
SG is right, use your passport and they won't harass you for any other documents. Don't be a dumbass
Old 03-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #10
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Even with a passport they can still ask your for a proof of address. It is well within their rights.

Driver license has to have your current address on it. Show them that and stick to your guns that that is your current address, they can't do anything about it (other than go further and ask how much money is in your bank account, in order to support yourself while you are in the US). To the customs, no fix address, traveling on the bus = hobo, which any country don't want.

Honestly if they turn you back it is a bigger hassle on the long run, since you will be flagged.

Bring both your passport AND your driver's license (you don't have one or have it suspended, get a BCID). You make their lives easier, they make your life easier. You are visiting their country, you have to follow their rules... don't go if you don't want to.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #11
!SG
OWNER/C.F.O./MONEYMAN

Thanked 2,253 Times in 626 Posts
nono, thank you.

see, im allowed to ban 1 person a month forwhatever fuck reason i feel like. and your the winner this month!

thanx for playing.

obviously there is something about your look, your attitude or your previous record that causes them to raise a flag when you cross the border.

shows u the gratitude anyone gets trying to solve the origins of the problem. ever wonder why they would ask such an oddball question as to rental agreement? never once did the OP state he/she/it/thing brought a passport with them. even though its common knowledge now, there are still a lot of ppl crossing the border thinking that only their drivers license is enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lol internet. View Post
I have both a passport and nexus card, I use my passport mainly because I prefer to take the greyhound across.

Thanks for contributing nothing to this thread and giving an answer to not what I asked.

Ebisu VIP #001
Revscene.net Vendors
JP Cellular Repair | Ebisu on Robson | Wings Restaurant Pub & Grill Burnaby | Overseas Auto | BlitzGear Inc | HID Outlet | Sounds Good Auto Service | Racing Greed | The Speed Syndicate | N-Motion Auto | Performance One |

If you are interested in advertising on Revscene.net, email me at Advertisement@revscene.net for further details.
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2010, 06:31 AM   #12
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,775 Times in 8,169 Posts
This post thanked by:
Old 03-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

When i go to the US they never ask for my address..

I go a couple times a week..

they just look at my passport, and ask what city i live in..

Case closed..
Old 03-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Err..wow. Ok. This thread is basically dead. I will close. OP - if you ever come back, please start a new thread. Thanks!

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Closed Thread