REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-16-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
hankook, falken, vredestein, which?

hey guys, my front tires are pretty bald so i am looking to get a pair. and i already searched them up red some reviews but just want you guys's opinion
i am currently looking at size 225/40/19 tires for my 19x8.5 fronts. the tires i looked at are hankook k110 ventus v12 evo, Falken fk452,and vredestein ultrac sessantra. the hankook ventus is the cheapest out of all of them. how are the tread wear on these? i am currently riding on falken fk452 all around and seem like theres a bit of road noise compared to other tires i havae owned.. the vredestein tires are little more but seem like they have quite a bit of positive review from alot of difft forums. Is it that much of a difference from hankooks to vredesteins?
Advertisement
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
I bringith the lowerballerith

I'm currently running my fronts same size on kumho ecsta..not bad overall
Posted via RS Mobile
kayceeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

the hankook and vredestein will be the best out of your list...I've run Pirelli Pzero Nero , Kuhmo Ecsta SPT and my newest set are the Hankook Ventus V12. The hankook's are a fantastic tire for the money. Definitely better than the Kuhmo's and on par with the Pirelli's.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,109 Times in 299 Posts
I haven't used the Hankooks nor the Vredesteins before, but I've heard a lot of positive reviews for both of them.
I have a buddy who swears by the Vredesteins and he showed me this video:
124Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

i currently have FK452s all around on my ride.

235/35/19 fronts
275/30/19 Rears

honestly im not impressed. They wore fairly quick and the noise is quite loud. Grip licked ass in the rain, and was subpar in the dry...
when shes down near bald, driving over tar snakes becomes DANGEROUS.

the rears lasted me > 20,000km.
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
no

Quote:

235/35/19 fronts
275/30/19 Rears

honestly im not impressed. They wore fairly quick and the noise is quite loud. Grip licked ass in the rain, and was subpar in the dry...

yeah i have fk452 235/35/19 all around right now, rears are stretched on a 9.5 with plenty of tread left but my fronts are fairly bald and its really sketchy to drive. in fact i dont even drive now when it rains with these tires. i think i am pretty set with the k110 evo v12, vredestein seems a little out of reach, hmm i wondeer how much of a stretch it will be to put a 225 on a 8.5 wheel, 35 series was also to thin for my liking so i will be going with the 40
Old 03-16-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

you'll have no problem with 225 on a 8.5 wheel...
Old 03-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supafly View Post

235/35/19 fronts
275/30/19 Rears

Buddy of mine has the exact same experiences with his. His sizing is 245 40 19. I've sat in his car with the windows up and the music on its fine but windows down etc. They're quite loud. Not too bad in the rain though as he's only put 10k on them

Not the best for the price
Posted via RS Mobile
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

I've got Hankook Ventus V12s on now, which replaced some Falken something or others. Overall they're a fantastic tire with impressive life. I have traction issues in first, but considering these are awesome wet weather tires that's fair - the Falkens had no grip in comparison. I'd be using Ventus R-S3's on a summer set - but our precipitation levels are a little different. ;P

245/40-r18 fronts
285/35-r19 rears

I settled on the V12s after reading a number of reviews, such as this;
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...12_evo_page_10

Also ran the v12s on an old miata of mine and they proved to have better traction in the wet than I would have imagined.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
I have traction issues in first
Make that traction issues in first, second, and sometimes third. I've since moved to Nitto Invos to handle the increased power and have to say the traction is night and day.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
I had the falkens 452 and didn't like it. Sidewall felt soft and the noise was plenty. Hear many good reviews about the v12 and vredstein no personal experience
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
I believe death_blossom is running the Hankook V12s on his S2K right now. He seems to like them given the price range and performance.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
the falkens are crap. dont get them. fk452s wear out too fast for what they are.

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:21 PM   #14

Not trying to hijack this thread,

But those of you with Hankook v12 evo's - how are they in heavy rain at highway speeds? Do they resist hydroplaning?

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:49 PM   #15
no

wow i made this thread over a year ago lol

but yeah i ended up getting the hankook v12's.. tread wears out fairly quick.. but it was superb compared to the falken fk452's... minimum road noise and like some people mentioned, grip in the rain is respectable for performance tires. they also hydroplane less than my old fk452 i noticed.. but they still do hydroplane pretty crazy under some circumstances :/

on the other side, i still have my fk452 on the rear.. it was bran new when i made this thread back then, and now its got around 40-50% life left.
and it actually sucks lol.. road noise is rediculous
Old 03-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts
lol i think the date fooled everyone cause it was in the same month and nearly similar days. Good to know you enjoyed the v12's!
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 06:29 PM   #17
straight from the fields of squamton

might as well add this for anyone else considering, I have the V12s on the front, 225/45/18 and I love them. Stick to the road in rain or even cold pavement with no problems. Probably the best tire i've used. havn't put a lot of KMs on them yet,(10k kms) but they're wearing a lot better than the few sets of potenzas I used previously. Not noisy, work in the snow (even though not M+S) and handle rain like it wasn't there.

Highly reccomended
Old 03-23-2011, 07:47 PM   #18

Lol yeah it is an old thread but I figured I'd quickly seize the opportunity to ask since most people would have tens of thousands of km's on them by now lol

Good to hear they're doable in heavy rain....I'm not so worried about snow, I run a dedicated set for winter (Nokians this year), but I neeeed something I can rely on to get through the Coquihalla and stuff at highspeed in heavy rain, occasional puddles - I get white knuckles and butterflies in my stomach hydroplaning at speed, I absolutely hate that feeling, and going 80km/h isn't an option because I'll get rear ended by some RV who doesn't have his headlights on lol

REVscene.net - Vancouver's #1 Automotive Forum and Classified's Site!

Interested in advertising with REVSCENE? Join our roster of Brian Jessel BMW, EBISU Robson, Blitz Gear, Soundworks, and dozens of the Lower Mainlands BUSIEST and most SUCCESSFUL small and medium businesses! Let us take you to the next level with our Incredibly affordable and effective packages Advertisement@revscene.net
CanadaGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Was considering the hankooks originally but the treadwear rating meant they wouldnt last me very long (2.5 years ish)
Every review praises them for bang for the buck and wet performance. I had fallen 912 before and they were noisy + shit in the rain :/
Posted via RS Mobile
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #20
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,815 Times in 3,329 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaGoose View Post
Lol yeah it is an old thread but I figured I'd quickly seize the opportunity to ask since most people would have tens of thousands of km's on them by now lol

Good to hear they're doable in heavy rain....I'm not so worried about snow, I run a dedicated set for winter (Nokians this year), but I neeeed something I can rely on to get through the Coquihalla and stuff at highspeed in heavy rain, occasional puddles - I get white knuckles and butterflies in my stomach hydroplaning at speed, I absolutely hate that feeling, and going 80km/h isn't an option because I'll get rear ended by some RV who doesn't have his headlights on lol
i'd think for heavy rain scenarios, a high performance all season tire would be better than dedicated summer tires. tread channels are much beefier on all seasons.

I've seen lots of customers purchase General Exclaim UHP and they work fine for the average joe. my friend that got those with his G35 thinks theyre pretty decent in the dry too.

another set im wondering about that mazda seems to sell to mazda 3's are the Potenza Grid 019 (i think)

13' Nissan DBA-R35 GT-R Black Ed - Black met. - "Sophia"

00' Acura 1.6EL - // Power of dreams Project - "Unity"

02' Nissan M35 Stagea - "Wynn"

91' Honda EF Civic CX - "Xander"

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #21
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
I have the Fk452 and they perform really well in the wet for me. Its true that they are a bit noisy and wear quickly but they are relatively cheap to replace and I don't have that many chances to exceed the limit of grip they have anyway/

Although I plan on switching to the Dunlop Direzza Star specs based on reviews after this set of fk452 wears out.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
Welcome to Planet Power ///M

Thanked 2,979 Times in 527 Posts
i cant remember, but aren't vredesteins priced similarly to the conti extreme contact dw? i have the contis on my m6 and they perform almost as well as michelin ps2s but at half the price.
CharlieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:43 PM   #23
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

So since this thread, I now run Hankook v12s all around and I must say I will probably pick up another set. Life on the treads is fairly good, as I don't do 1st,2nd gear burnouts from stoplight to stoplight...hahaha
almost 1yr now (25k km)...time to rotate tires from left to right to help combat camber wear....and I have a camber kit installed....*doh*
"Just because any car nut can tell you every possible performance specification of a Ferrari doesn't mean he can drive. Most of these people live in places where they've never even seen a Ferrari, much less ever owned one themselves."
Supafly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:50 PM   #24
GG
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Indeed

DW is the shit

GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:14 PM   #25
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

I've had gneral exclaim n vredestein n they both suck in the rain n in the tar snakes. Now runnin toyo proxes 4 n also conti dws and am very pleased with them, less road noise n better traction
Posted via RS Mobile
Dragon_27 is offline   Reply With Quote