REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 03-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

First trip planning question!

So I'm looking to book a trip to either an all inclusive mexican resort or go to hawaii for a week . I got a few questions hopefully more experienced ppl could answer.
Firstly, do travel agents tack a fee ontop of your trip or do they take a cut (you dont pay for their services)? wondering if there's pros/con to booking online.
Secondly, I'm thinking about food cost if I choose going to Hawaii, I'll have to pay for me and my gf X 7days, thats a few hundred on top =( Should I bring and/or buy instant noodles? lol

Lastly, I've been on a cruise to mexico, but never to an all inclusive resort, I'm looking to relax and have some fun in the sun, I don't really know much about hawaii, it would be honalulu, I'm just afraid it will just be another "city" or is there enough other fun stuff to do @ the beaches?

I know its ultimately my decision, I'de just like some peoples experiences thanks!
Advertisement
dhawes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
~~

Don't cheap out and bring ur own food, your going on a vacation so money will be spent anyway. Might as well enjoy the local cuisine cuz u can eat noodles at home!
Posted via RS Mobile
rien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #3

lol yeah i didnt mean for every meal, i was thinking like instant noodle for breakfasts, (maybe lunch?), and normal dinners, just dinners thats still like 50-80$/day=350-450, buy lunches add another 140 for the week, there goes 6bills on food!
=( Im a cook so I could just buy local produce and cook meals but that doesnt sound very vacationy to me lol
Old 03-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
You should just stay home.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

and why the hell are you paying for your gf?
TRDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDood View Post
and why the hell are you paying for your gf?
coz he probably cant get any if he stays in vancouver.........
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
When are you planning to take your trip? Summer months is monsoon/huricanne season for that area, and missed flights would suck royally.

I would suggest going to a nice all inclusive resort in Mexico. Sit on the beach and drink all you can drink. Go to the buffet dinners and eat all you can eat. Not much to worry about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
VLS Head Mod

There is a thread on hawaii so read up on things to do on honolulu, its a gorgeous island. Buying groceries and cooking isnt a bad idea. Maybe get a hotel room with an ocean view and eat on the balcony or do a picnic on the beach.
Posted via RS Mobile
saucywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:54 PM   #9

planning on going early next month. The resort choices I have right now are at puerto vallarta, manzanillo, and cancun, leaning towards cancun. However I was reading about Hawaii and inter-island hopping, anyone have experience with this? I've read you can either fly or ferry, just wondering on say like a 7-10day trip, would there be a point to visit another island for a day or two? pretty much scrapped trying to budget this, just wanna plan things out and aprils coming fast! =D
Old 03-18-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,344 Times in 972 Posts
spend the money to eat at the hotel. it's free, it's included, it's cleaner than other places and it's so much easier to enjoy it and not worry and have to look for a place to eat. what's better, wake up, call for food and head out, or get up, run and bus and find a place to eat and then start ur day
i'm not saying u shoudl eat at the hotel every meal but sometimes it's just so much more easier.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:23 PM   #11
Ebisu Boss

Thanked 1,889 Times in 705 Posts
If you take the All-Inclusive to Mexico then you don't have worry about any further potential spending. In Hawaii it could quickly rack up if you end up at places like Ala Moana mall and the nearby Outlet for some shopping (especially if the lady is well... a female haha), then there's all the restaurants around the city that you would want to try, most are not that cheap. There are some cheap eats like going behind this convenience store (called something Reef?) to grab some Hawaiian lunch boxes ...but then again you aren't really "experiencing" Hawaii anymore. Don't forget the attractions and excursions that all cost money as well. If you want to maximize your trip to Hawaii then you will even need to rent a car to drive up around the island to check out the various other beaches! There's a Hawaii thread in this forum, you should check that out. I got a lot of useful tips from it before I went on my Hawaii vacation last year! My opinion would be to save Hawaii for a future vacation when you have flexibility to spend more freely.

In Mexico you can drink yourself silly & eat 'til you explode, walk around the resort & enjoy some of the shows then relax on the beautiful sandy beaches to get a tan, rinse, repeat! If you hit up a nice resort then there's tons of places to eat, usually there's like 6-7 different restaurants on-site that could possibly be included in your trip package and then there's one main giant buffet and various 24 hour snack bars spread around the floor for hotdogs and pizza at 5am after some intense drinking haha. Of course there's the excursions and adventures that you can do outside as well but that will cost you money, but overall not as much as Hawaii. Not to mention the ONE time I did have dinner outside the resort (oddly enough, it was Rainforest Cafe, remember that from Metro? lol) I got intense food poisoning the next day lol ... yeah I'm laughing now ... wasn't so fun back then.. I still went to lay in the sun haha TROOPER!

THAT being said I think it's still better to go Hawaii with your date and Mexico is better if you plan to double-date or go with friends!... that's my 2 cents

"Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if tomorrow will be your last." ~ James Dean

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself." ~ Ferdinand Porsche

There is no substitute.

History
1982 Toyota Corolla
2000 Honda SiR
2002 Lexus IS300
1989 Honda Civic
1986 Toyota AE86 頭文字 (イニシャル) D
2000 Porsche 996
2015 Cayman S
Current
2017 Boxter 718

Last edited by Obsideon; 03-18-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Obsideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 10:33 PM   #12
I don't get it

FYI, The US has issued a travel warning to it's citizens heading into Mexico. Canada hasn't issued one yet, but do take precautions.

http://www.voyage.gc.ca/countries_pa....asp?id=184000
tacobell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:21 AM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
In case it isn't obvious, going to Hawaii will be much more expensive than Mexico.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:39 AM   #14
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

I'm sorry but I kinda LOL'd at the instant noodles bit hahahaha

Have fun though!!!! I've never been to Mexico/Hawaii but it's best to go there around August here?
411ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #15

Yeah I figure since we'r going might aswell go all out, booked 10days in honolulu @ a reputable 3star. I found a fishing tour that allows you to keep up to 50LBs of your catch ($140 for a half day trip) , that to me is experiencing real hawaiin food. Probably won't take ALL of that haha, but could help save on a few meals and its fresh!

Now it's all activity planning....go oahu cards look like a good deal, did you use one obsideon?