REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech (https://www.revscene.net/forums/automotive-detailing-car-care-tech_49/)
-   -   Zaino VS Menzerna (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610006-zaino-vs-menzerna.html)

HeavyTireSmoke 03-25-2010 09:22 PM

Zaino VS Menzerna

Hey guys. I am new to this board and cant believe I havent known about it.

I have had my BMW hibernating for the winter and its about time she gets woken up but I wanted to give it a nice wax before getting it insured. I had used mostly Meguires and now Zaino and found that Zaino is really a good product. I read on some BMW forums that Menzerna is better but I dont know in what way so hence I ask the pros on here. I want the best for the paint and heard alot of things about Zaino but not alot about Menzerna but its supposedly better. I know that Zaino has the flash cure than enables to apply 2-3 layers of wax in a day instead of having to wait days to get it done so that really interests me. I will be doing this all by hand with no orbital polisher. My paint is Silver and I cant see any swirls or imperfections but thats probably because its Silver. I wash my cars with the two bucket method with the wool mit and I also recently started using Grit guards. I am totally still a rookie and do this as a hobby and enjoy spending a weekend to get the soft buttery feeling of the paint.

Now for the questions,

What product is better and more effective, Zaino or Menzerna? Any other products I should look into? I know Swissvax is awesome but I dont want to spend a stupid amount.

Which brand is easier to use?

What should I get to get a nice detail?

Any extra tips and hints?

Thanks ahead of time and all help is greatly appreciated. Glad to finally join a local forum. Cheers.

smoothie. 03-25-2010 11:17 PM

both are good. I would say your results depend on how much effort you are willing to use. If you're doing this by hand, youre going to have a rough time. You will get some marring after using the claybar.

If youre happy with just a wax, then either will be fine. If you want the sealant / wax to hold longer, you should give it a claybar. If you want it to look mint after a claybar and before sealant and wax, you should probably machine polish. Hand polish takes way too much effort relative to spending the $$$ for a buffer.

Thats just my opinion, check out what others will post too. Welcome to the world of being super anal about your paint.

godwin 03-26-2010 12:42 AM

To me Zaino is the one that is easiest to get.. the difference between the top end brand comes down to the technique.

911fanatic 03-26-2010 05:38 AM

Which Menz product are you comparing the Zaino to? Menz makes polishes whereas Zaino is a sealant. If you have some time, call me ( 604.561.5121 ) and drop by my shop and we can discuss your needs and hook you up with what you need. :)

Ken

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-26-2010 07:35 AM

i tried a lot of products....wax...sealant..

and honestly? its all same crap different pile. They all last roughly 4-5 weeks. Some lasts slightly longer, some lasts shorter. The key is to wax regularly.....whoever said ohhh it lasts 4-6 months with the best wax i use is full of shit. When you first apply the wax, you can see the water beads. After couple weeks, the water just piles up.

smoothie. 03-26-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6879988)

and honestly? its all same crap different pile. They all last roughly 4-5 weeks. Some lasts slightly longer, some lasts shorter. The key is to wax regularly.....whoever said ohhh it lasts 4-6 months with the best wax i use is full of shit. When you first apply the wax, you can see the water beads. After couple weeks, the water just piles up.

you're doing it improperly. How do you detail them?

I get beading all year long on all the cars I prep for year long protection.(not very good, but they dont want a detail more often than that)

MarkyMark 03-26-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6879988)

A sealant such as Zaino definately lasts longer than 4-5 weeks, and a few layers will last a good 6 months if you take care of it. Most waxes don't last longer than a month though. Some people like Zaino, others find it too plastic looking and prefer an actual wax rather than a sealant...it's pretty much preference.

If you have a dark coloured vehicle you'll want to make sure it's swirl free before zaino though, or it will only magnify how crappy your paints condition is
Posted via RS Mobile

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-26-2010 01:26 PM

havent try zaino

but the general wax

mothers, meguire, turtle, NU, a green bottle? zaino? canadian tires/wal mart sells it, its like $25-30 a bottle.,..in green liquid form

anyhow...i even tried the Colin sealant 425 or some whacked number.....applied two layer..and even that barely lasts over a month.

MarkyMark 03-26-2010 01:29 PM

A good sealant will last months, but I'd throw another coat on every couple of months anyways, and just make sure you wash it regularly, that's the most important part if it's a daily driver
Posted via RS Mobile

eFx[A2C] 03-26-2010 01:58 PM

Just because it doesn't bead, it doesn't mean there's no protection.
Also its not just about the wax/sealant. Surface prep is the most important.

911fanatic 03-26-2010 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6880428)
anyhow...i even tried the Colin sealant 425 or some whacked number.....applied two layer..and even that barely lasts over a month.

I'm not sure how you are applying the Colli products but two coats of 845 will last easily 6 months. Are you using a touchless carwash regularly? That and washing with dish soap are the only things that will affect Collinite's durability. Last winter we put two coats of 845 on a clients motorcoach and it sat outside from October to March, most od the time with 2' of snow on it and we still had to use straight AG Powermax to strip it. I'm just sayin........

HeavyTireSmoke 03-27-2010 10:54 AM

Thanks guys. Here is what I am planning but will try to visit Autowerks and get some help, I'll first go for a wash, clay, wax/sealant. My car being silver and I cant see any visible swirls I will skip the polishing step. I still am undecided on what materials to use but I think Zaino will be a good try and the fact they have the fast cure to get a couple of quotes on first. I dont know much about products and didnt know that Menz didnt make a sealant/wax.

What difference will I notice if I do decide to do a polish on a silver car? is there a drastic difference in look and feel of the paint?

oldcracker 03-27-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6880428)

wow what do you wash your car with?

even dawn wouldn't easily strip a couple coats of 845

jensink 03-27-2010 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911fanatic (Post 6880600)
[COLOR="Red"]
I'm not sure how you are applying the Colli products but two coats of 845 will last easily 6 months.COLOR]

I can vouch for this. I picked up 845 from Ken early November and with 1 coat my car still has protection and still beads as of today. :thumbsup:

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-27-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 911fanatic (Post 6880600)

I'm not sure how you are applying the Colli products but two coats of 845 will last easily 6 months. Are you using a touchless carwash regularly? That and washing with dish soap are the only things that will affect Collinite's durability. Last winter we put two coats of 845 on a clients motorcoach and it sat outside from October to March, most od the time with 2' of snow on it and we still had to use straight AG Powermax to strip it. I'm just sayin........

no i used coillin 845, after that i only use WATER to wash. Take a hose, and a microfiber towel to wash...after about 5-6 weeks, the car doesnt bead anymore

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-27-2010 10:39 PM

http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...Wax/index.html

this thiing right? damn! im serious....it doesnt bead!!! and i dont even dare to wash with car wash detergent.

just pure water...at first it beads well, after 5 weeks :(

eFx[A2C] 03-28-2010 12:26 AM

You're doing it wrong.

smoothie. 03-28-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6882382)
http://www.autowerkesexclusive.com/p...Wax/index.html

this thiing right? damn! im serious....it doesnt bead!!! and i dont even dare to wash with car wash detergent.

just pure water...at first it beads well, after 5 weeks :(

5 weeks? you REALLY must be doing it wrong.

604_Snooze 03-28-2010 01:46 AM

If you are washing without carwash detergent, put some Optimum No Rinse with water in the bucket and use your microfiber to wash.

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-28-2010 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothie. (Post 6882536)
5 weeks? you REALLY must be doing it wrong.

i wish i know what im doing wrong lol

apply it, wait 10-15 minutes, than buff it off

:confused:

911fanatic 03-28-2010 11:22 AM

Sounds like you are doing it right. Wash with a proper carwash soap and mitt. Apply 845 and wait until it dries. Try the swipe test. After applying it thin over the entire car, swipe your finger across a panel. If the path your finger left is clean, no streaks, then its ready to remove. Could take 5 minutes in some weather and up to 20 minutes in some weather. My advice would be to apply to the whole car and then remove. :)

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-28-2010 11:47 AM

i think tats wat i did, i will give it a try again

thx

now if the 845 at first it beads well, 4-6 weeks later just a puddle of water...cant i assume the sealant/wax is no longer applied? yes no?

blacK20 03-28-2010 12:27 PM

Maybe the paint is badly contaminated and 845 is having a hard time bonding and staying on? When was the last time you clay and polished the car?

HeavyTireSmoke 03-28-2010 02:24 PM

Is 845 better than Zaino? Can I apply 3 coats of 845 in a day? Can 845 be applied by hand?

911fanatic 03-28-2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN (Post 6882794)
now if the 845 at first it beads well, 4-6 weeks later just a puddle of water...cant i assume the sealant/wax is no longer applied? yes no?

If the water is puddling, the 845 is gone. With two layers of 845 you should still have tight beading at 6 months. As mentioned, may be time to clay and polish the car. At the very, presoak your car with APC, wash and use a prewax cleanser like Raceglaze or P21S to help with bonding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyTireSmoke (Post 6882984)
Is 845 better than Zaino? Can I apply 3 coats of 845 in a day? Can 845 be applied by hand?

There is no "better", there is only opinion. I can't stand the way Zaino looks as I feel its way too bright but I know lots of guys who love it. Supposedly it has great durability as well. Applying more than two coats of anything is counter productive as when you get to the third coat, the overall thickness of your LSP actually starts to diminish. Do two coats and reapply additional coats every few weeks if you feel the need to layer. :)