REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #101
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

oh ok, i dont think id be going to the same place as you guys. im going to check out http://www.revolutionfightteam.com/ in langley and see how it is
Advertisement
Alpine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #102
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

^ I was going to tell 604CEFIRO about the Nipples thing when both he and I were talking about Revscene lol. The conversation went a different direction, though, so I didn't get the chance to tell him.

Guess I'll see you tomorrow. Working on my paper now so hopefully I'll get enough finished to have some free time to drop by tomorrow.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #103
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

604Cefiro / Will is actually the owner of the proshop. First day open was this past Monday. He also handles the gym signups etc.

If you guys need gear, clothes, etc etc give him a call. hes there usually 12-8pm daily.

hes got a big order of jaco, silverstar, triumph united shit coming this week/next...

u guys should SHOW him ur nipples cuz he likes that .... LOL
Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #104
Fabulous Rugby Quad Sports Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine50 View Post
oh ok, i dont think id be going to the same place as you guys. im going to check out http://www.revolutionfightteam.com/ in langley and see how it is
How was revolution? I'm thinking of going there because on their site it says 10 bucks for a week of training, which isn't so bad. It's nice to pick and choose, and get my feet wet for a pretty good price.
RacingMetro92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 05:52 PM   #105

^^^^^^^^ i havent gone yet. i saw that $10 a week this week and was like "oh shit" hahah that seems pretty cheap. im going to check it out this saturday and ask some questions because i never saw a beginner class on the schedule, so i've got a few questions. i'll let you know what they tell me on saturday. for $10 i think i might give it a try depending on some of my questions
Old 12-05-2010, 02:13 AM   #106

I went to check out the gym, the 10 is only for the first week of classes or u can take 1 free class. Its around 150 for the first group of classes
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #107
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
Any idea how much sparring gear will set me back?
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #108
G
Banned (BBM)

^I got a quote from my coach for gear for Muai Thai, kickboxing, as well as boxing, and it was around 300?
G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:48 PM   #109
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Go hitup dynamic mma, and check out the proshop (gear locker) in there. u can for sure get a complete package for under 150$ depending on what ur looking for
Old 12-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #110
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Go to the shop at the front of the store and ask for Will. He has a new shipment of Jaco stuff that came in last week.

I think he's the only place that sells Jaco locally cause the other place on W. 4th closed down. I highly recommend the Jaco fight shorts because they're awesome
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:02 PM   #111
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Go to the shop at the front of the store and ask for Will. He has a new shipment of Jaco stuff that came in last week.

I think he's the only place that sells Jaco locally cause the other place on W. 4th closed down. I highly recommend the Jaco fight shorts because they're awesome
+1 on Jacos

I just recently bought a pair of Hayabusa's from the shop. Awesome too.
neggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:09 PM   #112
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
How much are a pair of jacos? and this shop you guys are referring to is inside dynamicMMA?
Old 12-07-2010, 04:20 AM   #113

Hey ch28, you done an mma class yet? I wanna check out tonights, do they go all out?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-07-2010, 10:02 AM   #114
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
How much are a pair of jacos? and this shop you guys are referring to is inside dynamicMMA?
Don't know the exact price. Just walk in and ask Will (604CEFIRO). The shop is inside Dynamic at the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vafanculo View Post
Hey ch28, you done an mma class yet? I wanna check out tonights, do they go all out?
Posted via RS Mobile
Haven't done an MMA class but I find that they're mostly all of the advanced/senior guys that train in it.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:14 PM   #115
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,605 Times in 536 Posts
My kickboxing coach just opened up 2 new martial arts dojos in west van if anyone is interested. http://www.westvancouvermartialarts.com/

Kickboxing classes are free for the month of december
Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #116
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Your gym seems pretty traditional (tma) and more geared towards kids...

Theres nothing wrong with traditional martial arts since mma draws from all types of martial arts..

But i think crowds that enjoy mma have learned that TMA styles don't fair as well in real world applications.

I like tma's, in the way that they teach discipline etc etc... WHen i have kids im definately enrolling them into a tma sport first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Situation View Post
My kickboxing coach just opened up 2 new martial arts dojos in west van if anyone is interested. http://www.westvancouvermartialarts.com/

Kickboxing classes are free for the month of december
Orly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:12 AM   #117
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Are there any gyms that have awesome BJJ and Muay Thai??

I want to start training but not for MMA. It seems like most of the gyms that have awesome BJJ have seriously lacking striking programs that have been added as a afterthought.

Is it considered disrespectful to train at two different gyms?? Like for example Gracie Berra for BJJ and somewhere else for Muay Thai.
whatitdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 AM   #118
i like gifs

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatitdew View Post

I want to start training but not for MMA. It seems like most of the gyms that have awesome BJJ have seriously lacking striking programs that have been added as a afterthought.

Is it considered disrespectful to train at two different gyms?? Like for example Gracie Berra for BJJ and somewhere else for Muay Thai.
Come to Dynamic

I already converted neggo and vafanculo
Old 12-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #119
Need my Daily Fix of RS

I want to start going to Dynamic in the near future, but I'm wondering if I need good conditioning before starting?
I'm a beginner, so definitely will be taking those beginner classes.
s3an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Come to Dynamic

I already converted neggo and vafanculo
Why didn't you go to the Xmas party? It was alright. Gave away some cool prizes, few people won a free month.

I don't think you need THAT great conditioning for beginner muay thai classes. One thing I wish was they do different is give you a harder workout. I took one class of all levels mma, and that is where I was huffing and puffing.

Apparently they will begin running crossfit classes in the new year, I am excited about that.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 12-19-2010, 09:27 PM   #121
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:

it's not disrespectful as long as you tell both head instructors. don't hide the fact that you train at the other gym. the worst are those new people that come in and pretend they have no experience.

which area do you live in and how far are you willing to travel?
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #122
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Ya Dynamic does look sick but I think it is too far from me.

I'm looking for Vancouver/Burnaby. I do not drive so its kind of a bitch.

Thats why I was thinking Gracie Barra for BJJ and Kai SingThong for Thai Boxing.

At first I was thinking of doing Judo because it is so cheap, but I want more traditional with more Newaza. Not all this Olympic sport geared clubs which seems to be all there is.

I plan on starting one of the other BJJ or Thai Box first for about a year then add the other if I can manage it.

for the record I have previous TKD, Karate and western boxing training. But that was about 10 years ago. I stopped at 19 I am 30 now. I only really liked the boxing, the rest seemed too much like a money grab mcdojo type of deal.

I am also only 5' 4'' 120lbs and I dont think I am getting any bigger lol.
whatitdew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:04 AM   #123
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Quote:
Ya Dynamic does look sick but I think it is too far from me.

I'm looking for Vancouver/Burnaby. I do not drive so its kind of a bitch.

Thats why I was thinking Gracie Barra for BJJ and Kai SingThong for Thai Boxing.

At first I was thinking of doing Judo because it is so cheap, but I want more traditional with more Newaza. Not all this Olympic sport geared clubs which seems to be all there is.

I plan on starting one of the other BJJ or Thai Box first for about a year then add the other if I can manage it.

for the record I have previous TKD, Karate and western boxing training. But that was about 10 years ago. I stopped at 19 I am 30 now. I only really liked the boxing, the rest seemed too much like a money grab mcdojo type of deal.

I am also only 5' 4'' 120lbs and I dont think I am getting any bigger lol.
you can come train with my judo club. we do half newaza and half tachiwaza.

but on mondays the instructor is really open. he asks us what we wanna learn. so if you want to learn newaza the whole class, then you can. if you wanna do no-gi, we can do that. if you wanna do tachiwaza, you can. the guy is a real beast on the ground.

wednesday we learn stuff more geared towards competitions. still very technical.

friday is a lot more traditional stuff. textbook style.

if you join a really competitive club like burnaby judo, it's all competition based. not technical, just rely on strength.

my club is at renfrew community centre if you wanna come train with us. we have a lot of bjj guys that train with us.

monday 8:30-10
wed 7-8:30
fri 6-7:30

but with the holidays. the only classes in december left is 22nd and 29th. then we start again on jan 5.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:13 AM   #124
I bringith the lowerballerith

Hey Stealthfighter,
I never learned a martial art, is this gym decent for beginners? If it is more geared towards learning technique, I think that would be more appropriate for me as I want to learn a martial art not just "rely on strength" for competitions.
chr1s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:45 AM   #125
i like gifs

Here are a few pics of the Dynamic that 604CEFIRO took last night

604CEFIRO's Gear Locker MMA shop at the front of the gym

Mats at the end and a cage to the right. Stairs beside the cage lead up to the change rooms.

Cage

Top down view of the gym from the changing room area upstairs

Open mat session last night was good. Decent mix of muay thai and bjj guys just going around and working on whatever they want. It was fun watching the guys spar in the cage.