REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Recommend me a headlamp (https://www.revscene.net/forums/610136-recommend-me-headlamp.html)

tiger_handheld 03-27-2010 12:42 PM

Recommend me a headlamp

For those that remember this thread:
http://www.revscene.net/forums/conve...hlight=philips

I finally went back to stock and got rid of my HID's. but now i have el cheapo motomaster headlamps.

i'm used to driving with white lights - now i need a proper pair.

I'm looking at either:
1) Philips X-treme power
2) OSRAM Nightbreaker
3) other recommended by RS users

What are your thoughts?
Which one would you guys recommend?
Should I consider any others?
I'm planning to buy them from powerbulbs.com - any feed back on them?

thanks guys - you'll have one less HID idiot on the road now.

JiggaZed 03-27-2010 12:56 PM

I recommend the Garrity-3-LED headlamp.

http://www.hotref.com/category/27/Ga...ack_2784_r.jpg

Works great, takes 2 lithium batteries.

Shun Izaki 03-27-2010 02:05 PM

Phillips Crystal Visions.

People always complimented me BEFORE i got my retrofits in, saying how nice the color balance between white light/light output was...

this is anything but blue mind you...

but honeslty, even if you had HID kit... you won't be used to regular bulbs anymore... prob best to find some retro solution that works for you... I know I couldn't personally...

tiger_handheld 03-27-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JiggaZed (Post 6881620)
I recommend the Garrity-3-LED headlamp.

Works great, takes 2 lithium batteries.

Sounds expensive...

godwin 03-27-2010 04:00 PM

You have to say which bulb standard you use. IF you use H standard, you can get brighter than what is available in NA from Powerbulbs.

tiger_handheld 03-27-2010 04:38 PM

^ i drive a civic so i can do H4 or 9003

1990TSI 03-27-2010 04:43 PM

H4 Hella generic bulbs with 100w high beams.

I picked mine up years ago from lordco for like $4/bulb

liquid day light at night time.

Not blue or colored, but amazingly bright

tiger_handheld 03-28-2010 02:26 PM

^ i'll check into the Hella lights

I also want something that will be white when I have them on as daytime running lights -- would the hella + philips crystal vision do that?

@Shun Izaki --- where did you buy ur crystal visions?

skyxx 03-28-2010 02:55 PM

I have the OSRAM Night breakers and they're great! I got them from Powerbulbs. I would recommend the Philips X-Treme power. One of my friend runs them and they are definitely a bit better than the Night breakers. I'd go this route if you took your HID's off :)

Powerbulbs code: ZXRCX111 Get 10% off :)

To be honest, the thing about running Daytime Running lights with these "brighter" bulbs is that they will burn faster if you give them half the operating voltage. I disabled my DRLs when i installed them. You could always reroute your DRLs to the turn signals though. Just a thought. :)

tiger_handheld 03-28-2010 03:22 PM

^^ thanks for the DRL thought. whats the avg life span of a bulb? 2yrs? with everyday lowbeam + occasional highbeam use?

seems like its either crystal vision ultra or xtreme power.

i've read some negative reviews on both , so its still a tie.

skyxx 03-28-2010 03:46 PM

^ It's hard to say. It's different for every scenario. So far I ran them for 6 months and they're still as bright as when I first installed them. Though I don't have them on with DRLs.

godwin 03-28-2010 04:07 PM

If you go with 100W bulbs make sure your lighting wires can handle the load and NEW.. if your car is over 10 years old.. the wires and fuses should be replaced as good measure.

tiger_handheld 03-28-2010 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 6883067)
^ It's hard to say. It's different for every scenario. So far I ran them for 6 months and they're still as bright as when I first installed them. Though I don't have them on with DRLs.

thnx.

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 6883085)
If you go with 100W bulbs make sure your lighting wires can handle the load and NEW.. if your car is over 10 years old.. the wires and fuses should be replaced as good measure.

i believe both CV ulstra and Xtreme are 60/55w -- i'm assuming 60w= high beam and 55w = low beam?

hk20000 03-29-2010 03:47 AM

I recommend the Amber Lamps.

Alphamale 03-29-2010 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hk20000 (Post 6884043)
I recommend the Amber Lamps.

http://i.imgur.com/56guk.jpg

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-29-2010 08:04 AM

hella and philips gets my vote

but they wont be cheap

!Aznboi128 03-29-2010 08:09 AM

phillips or silverstar ultra

Bonka 03-29-2010 09:01 AM

For maximum light output (lumens) at the legal 55w, Philips XP.

There are also the Osram Hypers. They come in 65w or 80w but I would run the 65w so your wiring and housings don't melt.

Before getting new bulbs, test the power running to them with a voltmeter. If they're getting less than the ~13.8v from the alternator you are not getting full power to the bulbs and you would probably want to run the bulbs directly from the battery, though newer cars should be ok.

skyxx 03-29-2010 09:56 AM

About Powerbulbs, they're quite good on their shipping time. They ship fast too! Plus they give you those free W5W bulbs :)
Posted via RS Mobile

XtC-604 03-29-2010 11:24 AM

do everyone else a favour, do a proper retrofit using projectors. And don't use overdrove bulbs.

Mugen EvOlutioN 03-29-2010 11:33 AM

u mean overdrive

:D

skyxx 03-29-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XtC-604 (Post 6884394)
do everyone else a favour, do a proper retrofit using projectors. And don't use overdrove bulbs.

Running these bulbs are perfectly legal and they don't give off irregular glare. Philips Xtreme Power and Osram Nightbreakers are legal.

tiger_handheld 03-29-2010 02:46 PM

syxx - do u have any opinions on which is best between crystal vision ultra and xtreme power?

skyxx 03-29-2010 03:04 PM

From my knowledge of bulbs and reading up on the comparisons and differences between each bulb. The Crystal Visions Ultra will give off less light compared to the Xtreme Power because of the Blue coating that's applied to the glass of the bulb. The blue coating does give off a "cooler, whiter" looking beam but the distance of the beam is most likely shorter and "less" bright compared to the Xtremes and the Nighbreakers. Plus many reviews, test and comparisons have shown that the Xtremes have outperformed most halogen bulbs (even the Night breakers). In the end you can't really compare the crystal visions Ultras and the Xtreme Powers because the Xtreme Powers are marketed as Philip's Top of the line Bulbs and the Crystals as their second tier line. One is advertised as outputting 80% more light and one is advertised at 50%.

I chose the Night breakers because they were simply cheaper than the Xtreme Powers. After comparing the Night breakers on my car and the XPs on my friend's car, the XP's provided a slightly further beam and a slightly whiter light but not by much. Maybe this is due to the slight blue coating that is applied to the Night breakers. I'll probably order a set of XPs my self in a month or so for my low beams when I switch the NBs to my High beams.

tiger_handheld 03-29-2010 03:26 PM

^ SOLD on the xtreme powers. group buy? haha..