REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 03-29-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Just started getting into running...

So I recently started running pretty frequently the past couple months and i'm looking into upgrading my equipment.

I started by looking at the Nike+ stuff which means I would need new shoes + the nike+ stuff. I have an iPhone 3G but apparently it doesn't work on that so I was planning on getting the sportband for now. If I end up getting a new iphone/ipod that does support it can the same nike+ sensor be used with a new device?

My next question is shoes. I guess I should go somewhere that can tell me what kind of shoes will be best for me. I mostly run on the road and sometimes on treadmills and once in a while on trails/track. I have no idea what kind of stride I have. Can anyone recommend a good place that can check this for you? I live near south granville but can drive anywhere reasonable.

TIA
Advertisement
Crowtservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts
take a look at runningroom. they will see what kinda arch support you need and suggest some running shoes for you.

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowtservo View Post
So I recently started running pretty frequently the past couple months and i'm looking into upgrading my equipment.

I started by looking at the Nike+ stuff which means I would need new shoes + the nike+ stuff. I have an iPhone 3G but apparently it doesn't work on that so I was planning on getting the sportband for now. If I end up getting a new iphone/ipod that does support it can the same nike+ sensor be used with a new device?

My next question is shoes. I guess I should go somewhere that can tell me what kind of shoes will be best for me. I mostly run on the road and sometimes on treadmills and once in a while on trails/track. I have no idea what kind of stride I have. Can anyone recommend a good place that can check this for you? I live near south granville but can drive anywhere reasonable.

TIA
I can tell you about the Nike+ stuff because i m an avid use of it, and I love it....its the best 30 bucks i have ever spent. Its an awesome beginner tool...sure there are better things out there, but for my use...i have no intention of upgrading.

"I have an iPhone 3G but apparently it doesn't work on that so I was planning on getting the sportband for now. If I end up getting a new iphone/ipod that does support it can the same nike+ sensor be used with a new device?"

Yes. However, imo, the sportband is junk. Its cheap quality, the straps aren't that great...and its very two bit. Sure it does the same thing as what the nano does...but one helpful tool that helps me is that you can be informed stuff about your pace, distance and time with a push of a button, and the info gets spoken through your headphones.

If i was to look for an option, just slightly buck up and find a cheap nano off of craigslist, and you'll have a more versatile tool than the armband.

"I started by looking at the Nike+ stuff which means I would need new shoes + the nike+ stuff."

False. You don't need new nike+ shoes. Don't be conned to think that just because the Nike+ shoes are the top supporter for the Nike+ system, thats what you have to buy. Your feet is your feet; if you've got some other shoe that you try on that you know feels better for a long run...get it! The health of your feet is more important than the fad. So if new balance or asics has something that you want...by all means. Or...if you love your shoes you got now, don't bother changing.

However....being the hypocrite that i am :P I actually own two pairs of Nike+ shoes...but theres reasons behind that. 1 is mainly because my trail runners (Alvord7) are completely different from my long-run running shoes (Vomero4).
Secondly...these were the shoes that fit the most comfortably, and what i would need it for.

Also, i have a 3rd pair of runners strictly for the gym.

Fact of the matter is that I use a shoe-wallet where i place the sensor. It HAS to be re-calibrated. Regardless of the reviews that you will read on other forums, I have recalibrated my Nike+ properly, so my error ratio is -4m off a 400m distance. And...because i use 3 diff shoes for running, its easy to change from shoe to shoe.

"My next question is shoes. I guess I should go somewhere that can tell me what kind of shoes will be best for me. I mostly run on the road and sometimes on treadmills and once in a while on trails/track. I have no idea what kind of stride I have. Can anyone recommend a good place that can check this for you? I live near south granville but can drive anywhere reasonable."

I don't like the Running Room that much...selections are blah.

Don't go to Champs Sports or Athletes World. Horrible running shoes.

But if you are wondering what kind of stride you have, you can start at like London Drugs...they have these Dr. Scholls machines to see if you pronate your feet or supinate. For shoes this is important.

However...the next thing you'll be leaning towards is either lightweight, stability or cushioning.

So, heres two places to go...

Sport Check...beleive it or not, i think its the best selection for runners.

Secondly, for a more specialized service, go to the Run Inn 2236 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver in Kerrisdale.

Lastly...we also have a facebook group, its a beginners running group. Feel free to PM me, and if ur interested, i can send you our link.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

You don't need to buy Nike+ shoes to use the Nike+ sensor. Nike+ shoes just have a dedicated hole beneath the insole to let you place the sensor in. Just buy a generic sensor holder and use whichever brand shoes you fancy.

Not my pic but this is what it looks like:

Old 03-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #5

^^ Dude....u gotz skinny feet!
Old 03-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

^^ Not my pic! Even though I only wear Asics to run, nothing else.
Old 03-30-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
I've found that the service at the Running Room is a little lacking in the knowledge department, but it's a good place to go if you know what you need to get as they usually have sales twice a year (summer and winter).

I went to Forerunners on 4th for my last pair of neutral Sauconys and they offered great service. They were very patient with me as I had to try on several pairs of shoes before I found a pair that fit my orthotics. If you go to Sport Chek, you won't be able to take your shoes on a "test run" outside to determine how well they feel.

I don't know much about the Nike+ system, but if you get serious about training, pick up a Garmin Forerunner. It's a wristwatch with a built in GPS and heart monitor. Some say that GPS-based systems are more accurate in tracking your pace and distance.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 04:35 PM   #8

^^ Yes....the Garmin forerunner IS the stuff for runners.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

It depends upon which Running Room you go to. The one in Burnaby is very knowledgable and helpful. There are plenty of other running stores, Rackets & Runners, Forerunners, Run Inn, Running Den, Kintec, Right Shoe, etc..
And yes, no need to get Nike's..just get the sleeve if you have another brand of shoe.
Good luck out there!
azncreationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,132 Times in 237 Posts
Go with Asics man, my shoes has seen alot of adventures last summer with my hikes to mountains, chief and the grind, and it was awesome, the grip on those shoes really hold well for climbing rocks.

but ya i bought my Asics at RR on steveston and no. 5 road back in 2008, the guys that worked there were really helpful, they test you to run inside the store to see how your feet land and they have 30 day return/exchange policy as long as you keep the shoes clean and run through the treadmill

i run at least 4 times a week and with all those hiking that i did, the shoes is 2 years old now and im surprise they still in good shape
dub.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #11
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
I posted about running shoes last year and someone on here recommended Nike Lunar trainers which I ended up purchasing last year. A year has gone by and I must say they’re the best running shoes I've owned and they're prefect for indoor (treadmill) and outdoor running and extremely light.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

I have a pair of saucony and have been using them over a little over a year now and I love them. I'm not sure about other running stores but at the running room they actually let you take the shoes outside to run with to test out which one you like best. 10/10 service. Ill always buy my running shoes there.
Posted via RS Mobile
AutozamAZ-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah Gekko View Post
I posted about running shoes last year and someone on here recommended Nike Lunar trainers which I ended up purchasing last year. A year has gone by and I must say they’re the best running shoes I've owned and they're prefect for indoor (treadmill) and outdoor running and extremely light.
I just came from Las Vegas, and picked up a brand new pair of the Lunarflys.

OMG.....so comfy...not as comfy as my Vomeros. Weightwise...makes my vomeros feel like deadweights. Its an overpronator shoe, so i can't run in them.....so i bought them for casual and walking. Sweet runner nonetheless.

I know its a sweet pair...a black dude on the Las Vegas strip said so himself.
Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
^
I was in Vegas a few days ago but the Nike outlet was closed for some reason. I wanted to check out some running stuff but I guess I'll have to wait for next trip down there.

And on the topic of runners, I would also advise the OP to get some running socks. The right socks also make a world of difference when it comes to running.
Harvey Specter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:41 AM   #15

Quote:
^
I was in Vegas a few days ago but the Nike outlet was closed for some reason. I wanted to check out some running stuff but I guess I'll have to wait for next trip down there.

And on the topic of runners, I would also advise the OP to get some running socks. The right socks also make a world of difference when it comes to running.
Yes....when i was there, the Nike Outlet was closed too. I had to go to the other outlet to find some good deals.

However...the Caesars Palace Nike Town was actually filled with a lot of good deals too.
Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #16
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
do you guys actually buy new shoes every few months?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM   #17
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Is there supposed to be a place on 41st and Oak?
Someone recommended that place to me, but I don't recall a store down there.
way2quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:14 AM   #18
RS Operative (G)

Thanked 4,566 Times in 1,529 Posts
Quote:
^

w0w for you also, it was closed when i was there 2
hal0g0dv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapioca View Post
I've found that the service at the Running Room is a little lacking in the knowledge department, but it's a good place to go if you know what you need to get as they usually have sales twice a year (summer and winter).

I went to Forerunners on 4th for my last pair of neutral Sauconys and they offered great service. They were very patient with me as I had to try on several pairs of shoes before I found a pair that fit my orthotics. If you go to Sport Chek, you won't be able to take your shoes on a "test run" outside to determine how well they feel.

I don't know much about the Nike+ system, but if you get serious about training, pick up a Garmin Forerunner. It's a wristwatch with a built in GPS and heart monitor. Some say that GPS-based systems are more accurate in tracking your pace and distance.

how much did that cost you? looking to get a watch for circuits or keepin track of my laps and etc dont really need the gps for now but itd be nice
incubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lustful-trance View Post
how much did that cost you? looking to get a watch for circuits or keepin track of my laps and etc dont really need the gps for now but itd be nice
At the time, it cost me $200 (which was considered a very good deal.) It's the Garmin Forerunner 305. Also at that time, Garmin had just released the Forerunner 405 which looked more like a watch you could wear. However, it was considered gimmicky and prone to failure because of its touch-sensitive bezel.

I believe they are now cheaper - in the $150 range. Just do a search on RedFlagDeals and see what type of sales there are.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #21
JLC
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Nike + is awesome...

Like Raybot said, get a cheap ipod nano on craigslist...thats what I did...I picked up a decent cosmetic condition 4gb nano for $25 that worked perfectly..

In addition, like Raybot said, no need to buy the Nike Runners with the special sole...What I did was simply take some black hockey tape and made my own little pocket with loops to go through the shoe laces...and it fits exactly on the shoe just like the picture above... (or spend the $5-$10 on that holder).

The best thing is way it uploads all your runs to the nike website and keeps track of everything...thats probably the best part about it...also being able to map your runs to know exactly how far you're running....
JLC is offline   Reply With Quote