REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 PM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Help passing aircaire

So I went ahead and installed some longtube headers on my Camaro and now have no cats on the car. Any ideas what I can do to pass. Obvious answer is buying 2 cats and having to cut them in somewhere, but i was wondering if anyone here had an ingenious idea that might save me the 400$ right there.
Advertisement
98twofourty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Well, given the fact that a ton of Camaros didn't come with cats, it might be a good idea to post what year the car is and what motor's in it.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

maybe this can help you

http://www.revscene.net/forums/havin...19#post2203419
Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #4
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
I don't know what this does, but my parents do this everytime before they have to aircare, and have never failed. So I assume it might help? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically they fill up about half a tank of 91 gasoline and drive it for a stretch on the highway then proceed to aircare.

Thoughts of how this works? Or even if it works at all?
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #5
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,112 Times in 264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post
I don't know what this does, but my parents do this everytime before they have to aircare, and have never failed. So I assume it might help? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically they fill up about half a tank of 91 gasoline and drive it for a stretch on the highway then proceed to aircare.

if you don't have cats, you don't stand a chance passing

1 = the do a visual, no cats = fail
2 = if you have ODB I, you go on the rollers, no cat = fail
3 = if you have ODB2, if the O2 sensors are off, they will read as not ready = fail
4 = if you ODB2 and MIL eliminators, you possibly stand a chance? that i dont know
Volvo-brickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo-brickster View Post
if you don't have cats, you don't stand a chance passing

1 = the do a visual, no cats = fail
99.99999% chance will happen.

Best bet would be to move to somewhere where aircare is not required. IE Squampton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

is cats a catalytic converter?

if so, you must have 1 otherwise it'll be pretty hard to keep your NOx, CO, and unburned gasoline from exiting your exhaust
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2010, 09:19 PM   #8

sorry i was a little vague it is a 99 z28 ,so ls1 car. i think the best way to go for me would be to put on some cats i can install and remove anytime inbetween aircares. and a set of 02s after the cat so my CEL goes away.

thanks for all the responses.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
RS controls my life!

2 of my friends with 2002 aftermarket turbo'd cars rolled in and out of aircare with passes without cats somehow. Went through in N.Van if that counts for anything.
Wykydtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
^ well it depends on your emissions. If you run clean enough to not need a cat then you can have a fake one welded in to pass a visual inspection (but you still worry about codes being thrown depending on the car)

for this you're probably best off cutting out sections for a bolt in cat/test pipe. bolt in the cat for your test, then once you're done remove it and bolt in the straight piece of pipe.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #11
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

If ur decent at fabricating you could hook up a aftermarket airpump into ur exhaust that will turn on with a switch. Then when u go to aircare, turn it on, and it pumps shit loads of fresh air into ur exhaust.

Or register ur car under territory Z.
billboa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2010, 02:26 AM   #12
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,489 Times in 4,301 Posts
A jug of Methylhydrate from Rona, Home Depot, or Canadian tire.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-01-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Since the OP's car is an OBD2 car... it doesn't matter WTF he does to 'pump air' or methyl hydrate or whatever crap you come up with. WTF some of you idiots are smoking... geez...

If there's a Check Engine light on - it's an instant fail. No cats will also fail the visual inspection, as previously noted.

So.. put some cats on, put some oxygen sensors on so the light goes away... or do the illegal and fabricate some metal boxes that LOOK identical to cats to pass the visual, and have someone with a programming tool disable the OBD2 codes in your PCM for the O2 sensors. Then the MIL lamp will go away, and you'll pass the OBD2 plug-in check. As long as your OBD2 monitors are set, you're good to go.

Aside.. why the fuck are you running no cats? Run a good high-flow cat instead, you don't lose that much power (really!). And you might live another 75 years to enjoy this world you didn't kill...

Last edited by jlenko; 04-01-2010 at 08:17 AM. Reason: i kant spel
jlenko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 AM   #14

^ don't they actually check your cars output levels though? or do they just bank on the car telling them everything is alright?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
^ don't they actually check your cars output levels though? or do they just bank on the car telling them everything is alright?
They don't do a sniffer test if your OBD2 system is working properly and your car is 1998 model year or newer.

Go check out the Aircare website: http://www.aircare.ca/inspinfo-desc.php

Here's the basics:

Quote:
On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) Test

Eligible 1998 and newer light-duty vehicles receive a scan of the vehicle's built-in OBD monitoring system to ensure there are no defects with any of the vehicle's emissions control systems.
If you have no codes set (and therefore, no Check Engine light or Malfunction Indicator Lamp, MIL) AND all the emissions monitors are running... all they do is plug in and see that everything is working properly. The 'test' then is very quick... kind of a rip off actually - I mean, I can see that the Check Engine light is on or off myself... why do I pay these jerks $$$ to do it for me?!?

On my Cavalier, IIRC there's 4 or 5 emissions monitors. If I take off the battery, and clear everything... it takes about 2 days of regular driving to set all of them. I did my Aircare test after 1 day, and I was missing one of the monitors. They did a very short (like, 10 seconds) driving test with the sniffer. But the next time I went, I had all the monitors set. No driving test. Insta-pass!

Physically removing the bulb on the Check Engine indicator won't work, because they actually plug into your OBD2 port. If you reset your computer recently, you may not be allowed to test (if the monitors are not all set), but you may also experience what I did - the short driving test.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #16
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

do what alot of guys do... you usually have 2 O2 Sensors (one before and one after the cat), get a couple of o2 Bungs welded in, then a couple of o2 Defoulers in with the second o2 sensor, then the second o2 will read cleaner air than the first, and the readiness indicators will activate.
Street Car --> 15.45 | Vega --> 11.65
seekerbeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 08:52 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
They don't do a sniffer test if your OBD2 system is working properly and your car is 1998 model year or newer.

Go check out the Aircare website: http://www.aircare.ca/inspinfo-desc.php
Wow...I'm pretty sure I could bypass all that quite easily then, especially if all that's off is one O2 sensor
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekerbeta View Post
do what alot of guys do... you usually have 2 O2 Sensors (one before and one after the cat), get a couple of o2 Bungs welded in, then a couple of o2 Defoulers in with the second o2 sensor, then the second o2 will read cleaner air than the first, and the readiness indicators will activate.
Ok I just googles 02 sensor defouler but i would like to know where to buy two of these.

So I called mopac and got a price of 200$ for 2 02 sims, is this defouler the same sort of thing?

Thanks for the help everyone I really want to get this car on the road in the next couple weeks, i miss driving something fast!

Last edited by 98twofourty; 04-01-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:50 AM   #19
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

^find out the thread of your O2, then head to lordco and find these HELP brand stuff (red in packing) and look for spark plug anti foul spacer. Drill a hole on one of it and stack two of them together, insert back into your O2 sensor and pipe.
BEEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:00 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEB View Post
^find out the thread of your O2, then head to lordco and find these HELP brand stuff (red in packing) and look for spark plug anti foul spacer. Drill a hole on one of it and stack two of them together, insert back into your O2 sensor and pipe.

So if i understand correctly these spacers will make the 02 sensor sit father out of the way ( recessed into the bung) of the flowing exhaust and therefore read cleaner air?
Old 04-01-2010, 11:02 AM   #21

they aren't reading cleaner air, just less of it. I could see how that might work, or it might not do anything.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-01-2010, 01:03 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Wow...I'm pretty sure I could bypass all that quite easily then, especially if all that's off is one O2 sensor
I have no rear O2 sensor either... but I do have a catalytic converter.

The PCM in my car has been programmed to basically ignore the rear O2 sensor being missing. So it will not set a check engine light for the missing signal. The car runs great, though the fuel economy could be better The OP could do this too... I'd offer my services but my Powrtuner won't work for his V8.. only the GM 3800 V6's.

(FYI, I do plan on putting a rear O2 sensor in when I bring the car out of storage in a month.. needs a new exhaust from the cat-back as it is... there is currently no bung in the piping for the cat... which is why I have no rear sensor ATM.)

The big difference is.. I can pass a visual inspection since I do have a cat... but the OP wouldn't IF they were to check.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:29 PM   #23
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchang View Post

That just heats the cats up to the proper tempurature.
Old 04-01-2010, 01:51 PM   #24
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I thought you can buy fake OBDII ports that spat out the OK signal.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
I thought you can buy fake OBDII ports that spat out the OK signal.
I don't know how that works... as I don't know what information the Aircare computer looks for.