REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

are black housing headlight legal

i got original headlights on my car but they are blacked out no orange reflector. Will they pass a VI?

looks like this

http://honda-tech.com/attachment.php...1&d=1245911186
Advertisement
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #2
I want to be a person and not an icon.

Thanked 5,286 Times in 892 Posts
You sir. Will Fail.
Vale46Rossi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 PM   #3
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
Will not pass VI, blacked out housing headlights with amber reflector removed are NOT OEM.
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #4
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

What warrants the issue of VI for missing reflector? Does anyone know which section of the MVA for missing amber reflector?
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:27 AM   #5
racing & tech mod.

The blacked out housing is not illegal, as long as the headlight reflector and amber reflector remain intact. Unfortunately in your photo, the oem amber reflector has been replaced with something that is not equivalent, and therefore not legal.

There are various regulations regarding sidemarkers and reflectors, and what colours are allowed and what not, but essentially, the best plan of action is to keep the light stock or equivalent to stock - otherwise you risk a ticket or worse, a VI + ticket!!!

Motor Vehicle Act Regulations
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-31-2010, 04:51 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

What is something equivilant for those orange reflectors? Can I put sort of reflective sticker on my headlight or inside of it?
Posted via RS Mobile
03c0upe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM   #7
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
The correct info is here..

General lighting requirements
4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.

(4) The function of 2 or more lamps or reflectors may be combined if each function meets the following requirements:

(a) no turn signal lamp may be combined optically with a stop lamp unless the stop lamp is extinguished when the turn signal is flashing;

(b) a clearance lamp must not be combined optically with a tail-lamp or identification lamp.

(5) The director may exempt vehicles or classes of vehicles from the requirements of this section.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2; am. B.C. Reg. 135/2003, s. 1.]

Mounting of lamps and reflectors
4.03 (1) If 2 lamps of the same type are required or permitted on a vehicle, the lamps must be mounted at the same height unless otherwise specified in this Division.

(2) If 2 lamps of the same type are required or permitted on the side, front or rear of a vehicle, the lamps must, unless otherwise specified in this Division, be mounted with one lamp at or near the extreme left and one lamp at or near the extreme right of the vehicle, so as to indicate the approximate width of the vehicle.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2.]

General maintenance
4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division

(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,

(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.

As you can see..tinting the required reflector is not legal, any replacement lights must be approved and , " lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture. "
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
racing & tech mod.

^ Except reflectors are not lamps.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
^ Except reflectors are not lamps.
Uhh, read much? Here, I highlighted the parts for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango
The correct info is here..

General lighting requirements
4.02 (1) A vehicle on a highway must only be equipped with and use lamps, reflectors or other illuminating devices authorized by this Division or authorized in writing by the director.

(2) A vehicle on a highway must be equipped with lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture.

(3) All lamps, lamp bulbs and reflectors required or permitted by this Division must comply with

(a) the approved standards established by the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) and the applicable SAE standards,

(b) the conditions of use described in this Division, and

(c) the requirements of Table 1 of the Schedule to this Division.

(4) The function of 2 or more lamps or reflectors may be combined if each function meets the following requirements:

(a) no turn signal lamp may be combined optically with a stop lamp unless the stop lamp is extinguished when the turn signal is flashing;

(b) a clearance lamp must not be combined optically with a tail-lamp or identification lamp.

(5) The director may exempt vehicles or classes of vehicles from the requirements of this section.

[en. B.C. Reg. 476/98, s. 2; am. B.C. Reg. 135/2003, s. 1.]

Mounting of lamps and reflectors
4.03 (1) If 2 lamps of the same type are required or permitted on a vehicle, the lamps must be mounted at the same height unless otherwise specified in this Division.

(2) If 2 lamps of the same type are required or permitted on the side, front or rear of a vehicle, the lamps must, unless otherwise specified in this Division, be mounted with one lamp at or near the extreme left and one lamp at or near the extreme right of the vehicle, so as to indicate the approximate width of the vehicle.

General maintenance
4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division

(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,

(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and

(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.

As you can see..tinting the required reflector is not legal, any replacement lights must be approved and , " lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture. "
And most cars... but not all... have the reflector as part of the lamp housing. Maybe not your car, but the OP's as he said it didn't have the same reflectors as the stock one did.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:06 PM   #10
racing & tech mod.

I was referring to this part of zulu's post:

Quote:
any replacement lights must be approved and , " lamps equivalent to those provided by the original manufacturer in accordance with the requirements that applied under the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada), or a predecessor to that Act, at the time of vehicle manufacture. "
Zulu is writing about lights or lamps, but the issue is the headlight housing and different reflector.

The point of my post was to show that sometimes officers could incorrectly subject reflectors and sidemarkers to the same restrictions as lamps.

Additionally, if you read my first post, you'll see that I already mentioned that his reflectors don't comply with the MVA.

Last edited by Rich Sandor; 03-31-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Sandor
Zulu is writing about lights or lamps, but the issue is the headlight housing and different reflector.
Yeah, and as I wrote in my post..

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko
the reflector as part of the lamp housing.
On most cars, the LAMP housing includes the reflector. If you replace the lamp housing with one that doesn't have the reflector in it... you broke the law that Zulu posted. This is not rocket science.
Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,910 Times in 3,872 Posts
^ exactly, the reflector is part of the "lamp" and the lamp must be equivalent to the approved OEM ones. by removing/painting over the reflector, your lamps are now not equivalent to the approved OEM ones and are now illegal.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote