REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #1
Need to Seek Professional Help

Am I at 25% fault?

I was heading southbound on the street heading home w/ my gf on the leftlane as in pic. The other driver came out of a complex (not 3/4-way stop or intersection) trying to make a left turn to go northbound. He either didn't check or didn't see me coming & I hit him. I did brake if that makes any difference. Anyways ICBC says I'm @ 25% faul since there were cars in the right-lane & he was inching in already. But I don't feel I should stop to let him thru if my lane has no traffic. I would find it more dangerous if I just brake & let him thru as I might get rear-ended. I feel like I'm being penalized 25% for being @ the wrong place @ the wrong time.

What do you guys think? I can't find anything about actual law/rule saying if there's traffic in the right-lane & that I'm suppose to stop for him. If there is I guess I'll have to accept it.
Advertisement
Old 03-31-2010, 10:38 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
which part of the car did you hit him? If it's in the rear half you are kind of responsible too he has to be in front of you for some time by then.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 10:48 AM   #3

I hit him driver-side square on. I hit the driver & passenger door. Damage to my car was starting from passenger-side front bumper up to around where my driver-side head-lights starts.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,216 Times in 510 Posts
I always thought that the stream of main traffic always has right of way, so the guy turning out of the complex has to yield until safe to turn.

In this incident, it wasn't safe to turn so he should be at fault 100%?
illicitstylz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
I acted as a witness to a similar situation before. ICBC called me and specifically asked me if the person in the right lane already stopped and let the car out of the complex coming out or not. I think what they are saying is, if the car in the right lane has already stopped and let the other car come out, then you should've paid attention to it and let it out as well.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 2,420 Times in 669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
I acted as a witness to a similar situation before. ICBC called me and specifically asked me if the person in the right lane already stopped and let the car out of the complex coming out or not. I think what they are saying is, if the car in the right lane has already stopped and let the other car come out, then you should've paid attention to it and let it out as well.
That is a good point.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #7
I subscribe to Revscene

Thanked 1,179 Times in 301 Posts
maybe you should talk to a lawyer
boatcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

square on?? you are lucky you are not 100% at fault.
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-31-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:
Good point but wouldn't he still have the right of way and the car should have made sure that he was going to stop being going?
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I was always under the impression that you would have the right of way since you're going straight, and on a main road, and the other guy is just turning out of a driveway.
Old 03-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

that's stupid if they're trying to say you're 25% at fault

but if you are 25% your ins doesn't get dinged does it?
2005 Honda Jazz

BuySell Feedback
Quote:
"It's called Sex Panther by Odeon. It's illegal in nine countries... Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good ... They've done studies, you know. 60% of the time it works, every time. "
Leopold Stotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #12
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
another situation similar to urs
car A was traveling south on grandville street on the right curb lane, there was traffic so the left and middle lane stopped before the intersection, car B was taking a left from northbound grandville street onto 49th ave. car A was approaching the intersection and car B took a left out of no where. car A was 100% at fault.

this is pretty BS as car A(and u) has the right of way, yet ur at fault because some douch decides to pull a dangerous move. and car B should be at fault because im sure he did not have a clear view so it was unsafe to make the turn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #13
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post

25% fault doesnt affect insurance premiums, but still, ur getting dinged for doing the right thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:24 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemiko View Post
Good point but wouldn't he still have the right of way and the car should have made sure that he was going to stop being going?
That's what I think so too. Sometimes it seems the guidelines they follow are quite arbitrary.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
nuggets mod

If you're going north through an intersection, and you hit someone making left turn from a southbound lane, I think they would be 100% at fault.. how is this any different?
Old 03-31-2010, 01:18 PM   #16
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Emerging from alleys
176 (1) The driver of a vehicle in a business or residence district and emerging from an alley, driveway, building or private road must stop the vehicle immediately before driving onto the sidewalk or the sidewalk area extending across an alleyway or private driveway, and must yield the right of way to a pedestrian on the sidewalk or sidewalk area.

(2) The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a highway from an alley, lane, driveway, building or private road must yield the right of way to traffic approaching on the highway so closely that it constitutes an immediate hazard.

I would be talking to a lawyer and seeing what he had to say about this scetion of the MV Act.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:22 PM   #17
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
yea i say there trying to 'ding' it down, i dont see any way that you get 25%
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)

I don't see how you could be responsible in anyway. You have the right of way.
RollingStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #19
Banned (ABWS)

you could fight it out and win if you want to. but generally if you see the guy on ur right slowing and stopping, you should be aware of what's going to cross. I've almost seen a fatal accident because this.

a pedestrian crossing the street; a big truck stops but a benz on the right did not see the pedestrian crossing and zipped through crosswalk and almost hit pedestrian

in the end, you should decide if you want to be at fault or not. forget about morals and do what's right
fishing666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM   #20
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
I am curious what is the function of the lawyer besides pointing out the finer details of MV Act?

Since the process is not a court of law, the lawyer can't advocate for the OP?

To the OP, it might help if you draw your map in a more easy to read manner eg N pointing at the right direction, and fits your description. More often than not, the manner you present information really affects the outcome.

There is also an arbitration process if you object to the result?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
I would be talking to a lawyer and seeing what he had to say about this scetion of the MV Act.

Last edited by godwin; 03-31-2010 at 02:29 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:25 PM   #21
My homepage has been set to RS

whatever happened to pull out or turn when its safe to do so.... if they are cars on the road . traveling (not crawling) how can it be safe for the other guy to pull out of complex to make a left turn.
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:34 PM   #22
nuggets mod

I'm obviously no lawyer, but I don't see what finer details there are to the MVA. It states that the driver leaving the alleyway must yield because the crossing highway has right of way; unless there is another portion in the MVA that states that a driver travelling on a highway must yield to a car coming out of an alley.. which would make no sense at all.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:39 PM   #23
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Was there a Double Solid Yellow Line?

If there was, I don't think he's allowed to cross and make a left.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by illicitstylz View Post
I always thought that the stream of main traffic always has right of way, so the guy turning out of the complex has to yield until safe to turn.

In this incident, it wasn't safe to turn so he should be at fault 100%?
That was my understanding as well.

Quote:
I'd agree if there were traffic in my lane (left-lane) as well. But I don't find it safe for me to stop in the middle of the street w/ no traffic in my lane & endanger myself & my gf being rear-ended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc8899311 View Post
maybe you should talk to a lawyer
I'm considering it. I'm not sure if being @ 25% fault is going to affect me in any sense other than having to pay 25% of my $300 deductible. Can the other guy sue me somehow & me accepting 25% fault be disadvantage compared to 0% fault?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopold Stotch View Post

No, they said my premiums will not be affected. I'm responsible for 25% ($75) of my $300 deductible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Emerging from alleys
176 (1) The driver of a vehicle in a business or residence district and emerging from an alley, driveway, building or private road must stop the vehicle immediately before driving onto the sidewalk or the sidewalk area extending across an alleyway or private driveway, and must yield the right of way to a pedestrian on the sidewalk or sidewalk area.

(2) The driver of a vehicle about to enter or cross a highway from an alley, lane, driveway, building or private road must yield the right of way to traffic approaching on the highway so closely that it constitutes an immediate hazard.

Wow thanks, you wouldn't happen to have a direct link of that would you?

[quote=fishing666;6888309]you could fight it out and win if you want to. but generally if you see the guy on ur right slowing and stopping, you should be aware of what's going to cross. I've almost seen a fatal accident because this.[QUOTE]

Yes it could have been avoided perhaps if I paid attention & scanned the roads. But to me it's pointing the finger in the wrong direction. It all originated w/ the driver who didn't yield or was careless coming out of the complex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
I am curious what is the function of the lawyer besides pointing out the finer details of MV Act?

Since the process is not a court of law, the lawyer can't advocate for the OP?

To the OP, it might help if you draw your map in a more easy to read manner eg N pointing at the right direction, and fits your description. More often than not, the manner you present information really affects the outcome.

There is also an arbitration process if you object to the result?
Sorry I just drew it quickly before work from my perspective. But that's what I drew to ICBC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
Was there a Double Solid Yellow Line?

If there was, I don't think he's allowed to cross and make a left.
I don't know, if it makes a difference this occuered on Hazelbridge Way in Richmond, I was coming back from Aberdeen heading southband towards Lansdowne area where I live.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:31 PM   #25
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,310 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide625 View Post
I don't know, if it makes a difference this occuered on Hazelbridge Way in Richmond, I was coming back from Aberdeen heading southband towards Lansdowne area where I live.

Thank you everyone for your input.
Well, if it was a double yellow, the left turn would be illegal. This will help your case. Go check it out on googlemaps and report back with the exact location.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote