REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Q: How to properly steer a car and class 5 roadtest (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611207-q-how-properly-steer-car-class-5-roadtest.html)

girlcrazy_420 04-08-2010 08:41 AM

Q: How to properly steer a car and class 5 roadtest

class 5 roadtest in a few hrs in kelowna. I have always been taught to do hand over hand steering when turning, but I just watched video's on the net from other provinces and they say do not to hand over hand, but instead slid your hands around the wheel so you have 2 hands on the wheel at all times. WTF???

For class 5, will i need to start/stop and park on a hill? 2 or 3 point turns? Anything else I should know??

!Aznboi128 04-08-2010 09:04 AM

always hand over hand

never slide, you will lose points
no parking on a hill.... from what I remember and yes there was a 3 point turn

Greenstoner 04-08-2010 09:07 AM

parking on uphill (curb) turn your wheel to the left

best way to remeber

Left Uphill Kurb (LUK)

TOPEC 04-08-2010 09:08 AM

hmm i was taught to slide/shuffle the steering wheel, never hand over hand so i always have both hands on the wheel.
i never got points deducted for it while i took my n road test.

sonick 04-08-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aznboi128 (Post 6897992)
never slide, you will lose points
no parking on a hill.... from what I remember and yes there was a 3 point turn

I think by "slide" he means shuffle the hands, not releasing the wheel and letting the car self-correct itself out of turns.

Fafine 04-08-2010 09:12 AM

easier than your n test. did mine in oct. there was no three point turn. hazard perception, shoulders checks, make sure you do 360 check when backing up. hand over hand technique.

shenmecar 04-08-2010 11:40 AM

I did my Class 5 test last november. It was basically general driving in the city and highway. Did not ask me to do hazard perception, pull over, 2/3 point turn. Did ask me to do a back-in stall parking though when I got back to ICBC.

Jsunu 04-08-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shenmecar (Post 6898162)
I did my Class 5 test last november. It was basically general driving in the city and highway. Did not ask me to do hazard perception, pull over, 2/3 point turn. Did ask me to do a back-in stall parking though when I got back to ICBC.

If i recall, if they ask you to back in park that means you passed. If they ask you just to pull in you failed. I was so fucking happy when they asked me to back in park.

simsimi1004 04-08-2010 02:03 PM

If by slide u mean letting the steering wheel correct itself, i did that and got no points.
When making a turn i did hand over hand so when one hand started to cross i bring it over and up.
Merging onto highway, changing lanes in highway, exiting highway.
Basic residential driving very similar to N but less strict/instructions. I dont think i went through a school zone.
Didnt have to pull over.

She made me do hazard perception while driving and it caught me off gaurd and i was slowing down while thinking and then she said dont slow down, but i didnt get any points for that.
Hazard perception is basically anything u see, Sun, Rain, Sidewalk = pedestrians, crosswalk, driveways, intersection, parked cars covering pedestrians, uphill, downhill, etc.the basics.

Overall it was mostly 50Km driving to see how i drive. + merging on a highway.

Peturbo 04-08-2010 02:09 PM

Never knew they ask you to just pull in if you fail, as i have never failed :p
For me there was no 2/3 point turn, pulling order to park during the test.
Main thing i hard to focus on is just to drive without had habits like following too close, stopping behind too close to car in front at red light.
And speeding in school zone was one of the top reasons people fail, so watch out for that.
But in the end, it is easier then the "N" test.

HonestTea 04-08-2010 02:52 PM

Class 5 was A LOT easier then the N test.

Blinky 04-08-2010 03:08 PM

Steer with the throttle.

/thread

hk20000 04-08-2010 03:48 PM

steer with the handbrake.

/license test

PS: always shuffle your wheel because if you do hand over hand and the airbag explodes bye bye arm bones.

vafanculo 04-08-2010 03:57 PM

Failed my class 5 cause I went 50 in a 30 zone (not school zone) that little bridge off Russ baker road. Told the guy I was keeping up with traffic and he didn't buy it. So my second road test I drove like a noob. Exactly 50, waited 2 seconds at stop sign, etc. Guy told me if I'm gonna drive like a noob he's gonna mark me like one. Lol so I got mad and told him I failed my first one for a dumb reason and $50 is alot so I don't want to retail. After that convo I drove exactly how I drive today. Rev'd up a bit, went 55-60, just didn't give a shit cause I was still a bit angry. Even booked it to beat a yellow lol. Anywhoo...the dude passed me.

Lots of construction these days so watch ur speed there.
Posted via RS Mobile

Fafine 04-08-2010 04:40 PM

update pass or phail?

StylinRed 04-08-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jsunu (Post 6898191)
If i recall, if they ask you to back in park that means you passed. If they ask you just to pull in you failed. I was so fucking happy when they asked me to back in park.

that's what i thought... but its not true

i kept having the same tester years ago who kept failing me... one time he was like "yeah you did good....... buuuuuuuuuuuut i don't think your ready yet... maybe next time"

there was nothing i did that gave him cause to say that, at least he didnt point it out, even when asked

he was known as the "nazi" across the highschools back then, heard he eventually got fired.. but im guessing he just quit/retired

(oh i ended up getting another tester and passed, i even made a mistake that time, but she said i did great)

jpark 04-08-2010 06:27 PM

i go for my class 5 on the 12th. i dont know if this is true or not but i did hear that if you have illegal components on your car such as front window tint, tinted tailights .etc they wont let you take the test. is this true? can someone help me out? i just dont want to bring my car there and not be able to take the test and wait for another month

hchang 04-08-2010 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downhiller88 (Post 6898610)
i go for my class 5 on the 12th. i dont know if this is true or not but i did hear that if you have illegal components on your car such as front window tint, tinted tailights .etc they wont let you take the test. is this true? can someone help me out? i just dont want to bring my car there and not be able to take the test and wait for another month

If you have any illegal components on your car, the ICBC official can deem it unsafe and not take the test in your car. A car with a taillight out, a headlight out, bumper falling apart, or whatever along those lines that could potentially interrupt the test or make it even a tad dangerous, they will most likely not allow it.

My buddy went to take his N test a couple months back, but one of the turn signals weren't working, so he wasn't allowed to take the test.

If you have no illegal mods on the car you can very well use the car.
But what I would strongly suggest is you rent a car, or borrow a friends that is legal to the bone. Showing up in a car with some aftermarket components MIGHT make the examiner more uptight.

If you do decide to rent a car, you would need proof of insurance or letter that the place you rented the car from acknowledges and allows you to use the car for a road test.

StealthFighter 04-08-2010 09:09 PM

both my testers for N and class 5 were super cool.

it was close to summer for the N test and he told me he was excited that summer was coming and the short skirts were coming out. was pretty easy but had more components to it. like the hazard thing.

class 5 was just some basic driving, go around a school zone, then went for a sprint around UBC and that was it. i think we chatted about wakeboarding in kelowna or something...

hotong 04-08-2010 09:14 PM

class 5 is probably the easiest test, all you do is drive around and back in at the end.

girlcrazy_420 04-09-2010 02:05 PM

class 5 test went well. No backing in required. Just complete stops at stop signs, and ALOT of left hand turns. I did 31km in a school zone, got dinged for that but 98% wasnt bad :) I'm looking into class 3 now, just cant find prices online anywhere.

StylinRed 04-09-2010 03:21 PM

how the hell could he ding u for 31km/h oO digital spedo?

congrats anyhow :)

simsimi1004 04-09-2010 07:17 PM

sort of on topic
When in Reverse and moving do I HAVE to be looking out the back window?
During my N i remember parking with side mirrors and was told that I should always look at where im going directly.
But during my class 5, i looked back ONCE to check for any pedestrians then ussed my side mirrors to backpark all the way. and she didnt say anything.

nonetheless passed both

GordonTse 04-09-2010 08:26 PM

my class 5 test was easier than N test, but much longer because he took me onto hwy 1. passed no problem :D i dont even remember if i did hand over hand or not.

twitchyzero 04-09-2010 08:38 PM

i think i got perfect on my Class 7N road test
but the guy doing my Class 5 was picky...i still passed but he was complaining about me doing 33-35km/h in the 30 zone at deer lake park (near the shadbolt center for arts)