REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Auto Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-auto-chat_173/)
-   -   Insuring a Second Car. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/611559-insuring-second-car.html)

SpuGen 04-12-2010 04:43 AM

Insuring a Second Car.

Do I get a Discount if I insure a second car?
I currently have a surcharge on my SC.
The thing eats gas, so I was thinking about buying a beater Civic, and only take the SC out on weekends.

Do I get a surcharge on both cars? or is there a discount on the Second car?

Searched.
I've also insured 2 cars at once before, but I can't remember if I had a discount for the life of me. Of course, that was when I didn't have an accident on my record.

Blinky 04-12-2010 06:22 AM

No discount for the second car, for liability, unless it's running a collector or vintage plate. A beater civic is probably ineligible.

You might get a second car discount for optional coverages if you insured for comprehensive and collision through a third party, though you might find third parties less accomodating due to your claim history.

Marioo1991 04-12-2010 08:01 AM

I just insured a second car a few months ago, and they gave me the max discount since the first car is being insured at my current discount.

misteranswer 04-12-2010 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeivb (Post 6903239)
I just insured a second car a few months ago, and they gave me the max discount since the first car is being insured at my current discount.

Same...and then the first car got scraped.

Bender Unit 04-12-2010 08:57 AM

No Discount.
I'm insuring 3 cars.
Daily Driver (work), Weekend Warrior (fun) & parent's car.

TheSalesman 04-12-2010 09:10 AM

you will get a discount on your second car which is the maximum you could possibly have for the amount of years you were driving. You can put basic on your beater civic and pay the surcharge on that and insure your SC with full coverage with max discount. Depending on how much your surcharge is, it might actually be cheaper to insure both cars then just the SC.

seekerbeta 04-12-2010 09:36 AM

if you buy a civic, insure it for your to/from work, and then insure your weekend warrior for pleasure use only, dropped my 02 Spec V from 222$ a month to 150$ a month, also you can make it cheaper on the beater if you insure it for basic (Theft Fire Collision i think) and then put basic Comp on (like 3 Mil Liability Etc)

eurochevy 04-12-2010 09:41 AM

why am i not getting max insurance for my 2nd vehicle then even though i have like 30% discount on my first

TOS'd 04-12-2010 10:11 AM

Are you even allowed to drive the SC? :p

spoon.ek9 04-12-2010 10:20 AM

i changed the insurance on my EK to pleasure use only. you're insured for 6 calendar days per month and you can bring the car to work no problem.

my EF has basic insurance + 3rd party, no collision or comprehensive.

TheSalesman 04-12-2010 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eurochevy (Post 6903311)
why am i not getting max insurance for my 2nd vehicle then even though i have like 30% discount on my first

so you have 30% discount on your first vehicle and 0% on your other?
Or do you have 30% discount on both?

eurochevy 04-12-2010 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSalesman (Post 6903388)
so you have 30% discount on your first vehicle and 0% on your other?
Or do you have 30% discount on both?

30% on both

GC8 04-12-2010 12:34 PM

yeah I dont get why they do not have second car insurance here.. how is one person suppose to drive two cars at once.. one should be cheaper. even with one insured as pleasure... the price is difference isnt much from work use haha
I have a weekend car and a daily driver for work.. I pay for both cars like anyone would with one. discount i am at 30%

TheSalesman 04-12-2010 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eurochevy (Post 6903472)
30% on both

Well then you are at the max discount on both cars. The OP has a surcharge which increases his insurance probably 30-40% and if he insured a beater at +30%, he would get his normal discount on his SC. So he's not paying surcharge on 2 cars.

SpuGen 04-12-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOS'd (Post 6903345)
Are you even allowed to drive the SC? :p

Am now. :)

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

The SC is still on Storage insurance now. Will they let me insure both cars at the same time to get the discount?

TheSalesman 04-12-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpuGen (Post 6903641)
Am now. :)

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

The SC is still on Storage insurance now. Will they let me insure both cars at the same time to get the discount?

they will put the surcharge on the car you insure first and give you your discount on the 2nd car.

Blinky 04-12-2010 04:51 PM

Simon, thanks for pointing that out about the surcharge (something that I omitted... I don't have experience with surcharges :D ).

Re: spoon.ek9 - I think you meant to say that "for pleasure use", it's ok to drive to school or work with that car 6 days/month ONLY. You exceed 6d/month and you could lose your coverage if involved in a claim.

TheSalesman 04-12-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blinky (Post 6903801)
Simon, thanks for pointing that out about the surcharge (something that I omitted... I don't have experience with surcharges :D ).

haha, you don't want to get into the surcharges, it sucks.
Awhile back, you could insure a scooter with the surcharge and get your max discount on the car but they put a stop to that.

Edison_Chen 04-12-2010 08:05 PM

Spugen if you want an quote for insurance, give me a pm, and I'll get you quote for the discount with the second car.

freakshow 04-13-2010 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen (Post 6904046)
Spugen if you want an quote for insurance, give me a pm, and I'll get you quote for the discount with the second car.

Does this apply to me too? :)

UFO 04-13-2010 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spoon.ek9 (Post 6903353)
i changed the insurance on my EK to pleasure use only. you're insured for 6 calendar days per month and you can bring the car to work no problem.

You can drive your car with pleasure insurance 30 days a month if you wanted; but only 6 out of the 30 can you take it to work/school.

Lowered_Klass 04-13-2010 08:36 PM

Insure your beater car first, then the SC. You WILL get your discount on the second vehicle, so long as you are 'taking your lumps' so to speak with the surcharge on the first car.

I'd love to know how ICBC nails people, who drive their 'pleasure use only' vehicles to work EVERYday. I'm a bitch, and pay for the proper insurance, but seriously... how would they know? You could just say it's one of those 6 days.

Edison_Chen 04-13-2010 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freakshow (Post 6904617)
Does this apply to me too? :)

If you like shout me a pm...

TheSalesman 04-14-2010 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spoon_Fed (Post 6905389)
Insure your beater car first, then the SC. You WILL get your discount on the second vehicle, so long as you are 'taking your lumps' so to speak with the surcharge on the first car.

I'd love to know how ICBC nails people, who drive their 'pleasure use only' vehicles to work EVERYday. I'm a bitch, and pay for the proper insurance, but seriously... how would they know? You could just say it's one of those 6 days.

They investigate that. They will go to your work and ask people or catch you giving the wrong answer with a boat load of questions. 1 wrong answer and you're finished.

twitchyzero 04-14-2010 10:56 AM

^ yep im sure many people will abuse the leisure insurance
if you get in a major accident i'm sure they'll be asking your co-workers and neighbours about what you use your car for