REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-12-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
My homepage has been set to RS

Aftermarket seats and ICBC

hey guys, I need some insights in terms of aftermarket seats. I would like to trade my stock recaros for some aftermarket brides. The stock recaros has airbags, while the aftermarket ones does not. I want to know if they are legal and what does ICBC think of this, if I were to get into an accident *touch wood*. One more thing, would I need harness or I can use my seat belt?

This is the seats I am looking at.

Thanks
Advertisement
Jackygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Aftermarket seats without harness is kinda pointless... Why would you want to trade already good stock recaros on EVO X? =)
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #3
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
Aftermarket seats without harness is kinda pointless... Why would you want to trade already good stock recaros on EVO X? =)
Alot of aftermarket seats are better than the stockers, hes going from a reclinable Recaro to a full blown fixed bucket. Im sure theres going to be a major difference with or without a harness.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
and harness without a roll cage is kinda pointless... why would you want to strap urself in tightly in the event of a roll over?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
and harness without a roll cage is kinda pointless... why would you want to strap urself in tightly in the event of a roll over?
Thank you, this is the kind of safety issues I am worried about. I don't want to end up hurting myself because of some stupid decisions I made in trading seats. So if I am hearing you guys right, if I were to get these seats, is that I would need a harness, and if I do get a harness, I should get roll cage? Any insight in terms of messing around with something that contains an airbag?
Old 04-12-2010, 08:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Because that person is willing to pay me for them.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,207 Times in 168 Posts
well they arent really saying you should get rollcage because you get those seats but more or so its pointless to have buckseat without harness and those two without a rollcage.

but I'm sure you get hassled for harnesses if you do get pulled over by a cop. and also if you get 5pt harness you get into a collision you are pretty much fucking yourself over, considering your whole body is tied down to the seat but when someone hits you, only thing going forward is your head... so you just gave yourself a spine snap lol

edit: yes you can use your stock seatbelt, a lot of people do
mekaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

looks like you can't re-use your OEM seatbelt with the Bride
Aftermarket Harness is illegal.
asking for VI
Also watch out for fake Bride

Keep the Recaros I say
correct me if I'm wrong on harness, please.
Old 04-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #9
Trollollolloing RS sine 2005

Thanked 2,471 Times in 704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackygor View Post
Thank you, this is the kind of safety issues I am worried about. I don't want to end up hurting myself because of some stupid decisions I made in trading seats. So if I am hearing you guys right, if I were to get these seats, is that I would need a harness, and if I do get a harness, I should get roll cage? Any insight in terms of messing around with something that contains an airbag?
no u got it wrong, u can have a bucket seat, so far i havnt heard anyone that's running a bucket seat getting VIed for it.

the point that i was trying to make was (regarding to the other poster who mentioned something about a harness) if u run a harness without a cage, ur strapping urself tightly into the seat and in the evet of a roll over where the roof collapse because there was no cage, u wont be able to duck and dodge the collapsing roof, where as if u had a 3pt harness(oem seatbelt) u have the freedom to move arnd.

and to add, most aftermarket seats uses seatbase/sliders that will have a tab to bolt the oem seat belt mechanism back into the car, so u can retain ur oem seatbelt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1exotic View Post
Vtec doesn't kick in on Reverse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
its like.. oh yeah oh yeah.. ohhhh yeah... OOoooOohh... why's it suddenly feel a bit better... ohhhh yeahh... ohhh...oh..fuck... it probably ripped.
TOPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #10

Jacky, don't do it. Not worth all the hassles and money you'll be spending. Why do you plan to do anyway?
Old 04-12-2010, 11:18 PM   #11
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 2,532 Times in 446 Posts
OEM parts.. always more valuable compare to aftermarket.
thats how i see it.. :/
Grim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Jacky, don't do it. Not worth all the hassles and money you'll be spending. Why do you plan to do anyway?
I am just playing with the idea, since that person is willing to pay and cover the shipping cost, but as of right now, I see no benefit to go full bucket and at the same time compromise my safety as well as my insurance. Thanks guys, I will be sticking to my stock comfy recaros
Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 AM   #13

Yea, the only time I've thought of going aftermarket seats was when I didn't want to give rides to fat people.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Since your OEM seats have airbags in them, would you disable your whole airbag system in your car if you take it out? I know some cars are like this.
icemiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #15
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

recaro's are the best seats...keep them.
09' BMW 128I Coupe (E82) - FS
04' BMW M3 Coupe (E46) - SR
17' Acura MDX SUV (YD4) - SOLD
15' Acura RDX SUV (TB4) - SOLD
14' Acura ILX Sedan (DE1) - SOLD
04' Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV (R50) - SOLD
07 Infiniti FX35 SUV (S50) -SOLD
06' BMW 330i Sedan (E90) - SOLD
97' Acura 1.6EL Sedan (MB4) - SOLD
99' Honda Civic Hatch (EJ6) - SOLD
84' Pontiac Sunbird Coupe (J2000) - SOLD
Kalize is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-13-2010, 11:14 PM   #16
Rs has made me the man i am today!

stop modding your evo!!! you'll just make me jealous!
Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 AM   #17
RabidMod

Thanked 1,082 Times in 404 Posts
guys i think he's mainly asking if ICBC would void his insurance claim in an accident where his airbags don't deploy because he has aftermarket seats. it stands to reason that they may see it as deliberately disabling a safety device.

lol jacky.. good luck scoring any sexual favors at all in your car with non-reclineable brides.

Quote:
Yea, the only time I've thought of going aftermarket seats was when I didn't want to give rides to fat people.
he's not kidding.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:07 AM   #18
The "You'd Know" Moderator

But... these are reclinables and Zeta III should be FIA approved.

Ezekiel 25:17. The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you.
impactX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:52 AM   #19

Absolutely not worth the risk, IMO.

Airbags can be worked around. You have to install "airbag simulators" which are just resistors of the correct value to "fool" the airbag computer the side seat bags are still present. This will make the rest of your airbag system operate normally without warning lights. Good luck finding a shop to do this because of liability, but it's not illegal (oddly enough) for you to do this on your own to your own vehicle.

ICBC is actually more forgiving of mods than people think. You could install a stereo wrong, and have an electrical fire that burns your car to the ground and ICBC will cover it (though you'll be at fault).

However, this really applies to claims regarding the actual vehicle itself (like damage from collisions), not to claims that might be made regarding you (like personal injury). These are the ones that costs ICBC big $$$.

It is almost certain that your car will be significantly less safe with an aftermarket seat than the factory seat. I don't care if the seat is FIA approved or super duper strong. The fact is the safety of your vehicle is a combination of the seats, seat belts, airbags and the physical relationship they all have to each other. In other words, they are designed to work as a system.

When manufacturers do crash tests they try out various combinations of seats and positions. They have found that even a small change to the seat cushion can have a large impact on how your body moves in an accident and how much additional force it's subjected to.

Now imagine a side impact crash. Your vehicle is designed to use a combination of the side structure, the seats and the side airbag to reduce injuries. You've now changed two major components (the seat and the side airbag). To think that this will have no affect on what kind of injuries you will suffer from a side impact is just plain ignorant.

Taking all this into account, if you had an accident with serious injuries you can expect a fight from ICBC. Not only that, but if your buddy was riding with you and was crippled for life, do you think he's going to say "oh well, at least we looked good crashing" or is he going to sue you?
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-14-2010, 08:20 AM   #20
racing & tech mod.

^ +10000

...aaaaaaand I ran bucket recaros in my 944 turbo for a year and it was a PAIN IN THE ASS getting in and out of the car. Sooo impractical on a daily driver!
Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 AM   #21
racing & tech mod.

also, in a proper cacc-approved race car with bucket seats, we are now actually required to install a seat brace, to make sure it doesn't move in an accident.

Rich Sandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post

Airbags can be worked around. You have to install "airbag simulators" which are just resistors of the correct value to "fool" the airbag computer the side seat bags are still present. This will make the rest of your airbag system operate normally without warning lights. Good luck finding a shop to do this because of liability, but it's not illegal (oddly enough) for you to do this on your own to your own vehicle.

ICBC is actually more forgiving of mods than people think. You could install a stereo wrong, and have an electrical fire that burns your car to the ground and ICBC will cover it (though you'll be at fault).

However, this really applies to claims regarding the actual vehicle itself (like damage from collisions), not to claims that might be made regarding you (like personal injury). These are the ones that costs ICBC big $$$.

It is almost certain that your car will be significantly less safe with an aftermarket seat than the factory seat. I don't care if the seat is FIA approved or super duper strong. The fact is the safety of your vehicle is a combination of the seats, seat belts, airbags and the physical relationship they all have to each other. In other words, they are designed to work as a system.

When manufacturers do crash tests they try out various combinations of seats and positions. They have found that even a small change to the seat cushion can have a large impact on how your body moves in an accident and how much additional force it's subjected to.

Now imagine a side impact crash. Your vehicle is designed to use a combination of the side structure, the seats and the side airbag to reduce injuries. You've now changed two major components (the seat and the side airbag). To think that this will have no affect on what kind of injuries you will suffer from a side impact is just plain ignorant.

Taking all this into account, if you had an accident with serious injuries you can expect a fight from ICBC. Not only that, but if your buddy was riding with you and was crippled for life, do you think he's going to say "oh well, at least we looked good crashing" or is he going to sue you?
Very informative, thank you for you input! This is exactly what I am looking for!
Old 04-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #23
Cool beans bro

Thanked 1,054 Times in 231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post

Awesome info . Just a question though, what if a person installs OEM seats from the same car that was OEM from another country say Japan. I have a set of JDM Recaros in my Integra and wondering if that causes any problems down the road.
JordanLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:25 PM   #24

^ OEM seats from the same car are a great idea. They would have also been designed with safety in mind, even thought the styling could be much different.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #25
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
It depends on which car and model.. a lot of the times, the seats are USDM specific because it passes crash test.. eg Audi R8's seats in Europe is different from the US ones because the Europe ones can't pass US safety tests.

The issue is ICBC/ accident investors are usually not very well versed about the minute details of the cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanLee View Post
Awesome info . Just a question though, what if a person installs OEM seats from the same car that was OEM from another country say Japan. I have a set of JDM Recaros in my Integra and wondering if that causes any problems down the road.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote