REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Expo 2010. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612389-expo-2010-a.html)

J____ 05-08-2010 12:11 AM

ya, u need a proxy in order to access it. it's blocked. as well as youtube.

genesis195 05-08-2010 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domani (Post 6941471)
so i assume u have a 3 day pass.

each date u enter the expo site and then head to the pavil u want to visit and pick up the admission pass of that particular pavil. is that correct?

I used 3 one day passes, i am not sure on their prices except that if you are a student, it's half price tickets. I got my passes for free since my dad's company gives them out? (somethign like that). To answer your question, yes you are right, there's machines located at the pavilions where u put your entrance pass in and then u pic a time and it prints out a "fast pass" for you, very easy. Their also volunteers at each of these booths to help u out. Only the China pavilion u get passes right when u enter the expo. At least at this time the China pavilion is just ridiculous, so they hand it out manually and what not cause they expect everyone to want to see it lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlySi (Post 6941859)
genesis195,

Great writeup.
How much did you spend in the past 3 days?
10 more days till I land there.

Thanks :) just want to help out my fellow rev scene members. Erm tickets again i'm not sure how much but i think mine where student tickets and one day passes so 90rmb i think each.. so 270. food was really random... I'll say i only spend around 1200 rmb at the expo with tix. Mind you i bring empty bottle for free water. I eat cheap breakfast outside the expo at this "steam bun stall" and the food i eat at the expo are the fast food and the cheap combo meals. and i didn't by any sort of souvenir :P since all i did was pictures and that's enough of a souvenir for me haha. But yes Shanghai stuff as in food, and services are cheap as dirt. 3 dollars here is 3 dollars there. LOL the mascot doll sells for 10 rmb on the streets, thats' like a dollar here LOl so ya. Bring enough but not to much, real shady bunch at the expo >< (the mainland farmers...)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen (Post 6941911)
For the China pavilion, as we entered the gates (after security checked), the machine automatically printed out times to line up for the China Pavilion. The China pavilion I believe was only for reservations only. I recommend entering through the smaller side (very little/no pavilion side), and lining up at like 8 am..

Truth. The China pavilion is only for those who has a reservation ticket. And lining up at 8 am is a def must if u want to see the China pavilion. But to add to what Edison says, some of the line up goes to the "provinces expo" which is the building under the main building, the china pavilion (the big red epic china looking building :P). so make sure u are in the right line up. Especially if you don't understand mandarin ask. People there just speak mando to u if u look Chinese, and the English signs are pretty much fail and lacking at the most important places. so ya. care guys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domani (Post 6942417)
for the guys currently in china, any luck accessing facebook? or must use some kinda proxy?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edison_Chen (Post 6942667)
I heard that they blocked off facebook, twitter...

Can't use facebook, or youtube. And somehow not sure if its' just my comp or my internet, but a few family friends in shanghai tried to send me emails and i tried to send emails to them.. apparently they blocked emails... as in u can check your email but u can't send shit out, this is only if you are a foreigner email or something. it was weird. i couldn't send stuff out nor could i receive anything. But hey, i'm not computer smart :P just know enough to get by so ya.. LOL, so i might be wrong on email part ><.

.Renn.Sport 05-08-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 6941394)
Fuck that, I'm sure those chicks who work at the expo will party at night. I'll meet them at the clubs instead.

chicks that work in expo = they cant afford to go clubbing
:rolleyes:

and

yes facebook, twitter, youtube are all blocked in china.

I access them via VPN

skyxx 05-09-2010 12:45 AM

Even the ones in the Korean, Japan, Canadian houses? I'm sure the countries send some of their own over there.

genesis195 05-09-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyxx (Post 6944455)
Even the ones in the Korean, Japan, Canadian houses? I'm sure the countries send some of their own over there.

LOLOl k those ones are gg :) Korean and Japan pavilions workers are :thumbsup: Canada was no dif then the slightly above average white/ mix/ asian girls u see here in van. if u mean the volunteers that chill around the expo to help with directions, even if they do go partying after.. i wouldn't go beyond talking if you know what i mean..:\ then again beauty is just a light switch away so, meh.

Domani 05-20-2010 09:49 PM

hi guys just update u guys, i've made it to china.... for those who wants to access facebook/youtube the easist way is just use the ubc vpn. it's way too easy, just log into ur cwl or use a friend's and ur good to go. (myvpn.ubc.ca) cheers.

HonestTea 05-22-2010 12:43 AM

Sounds pretty fun, thinking of dropping by Shanghai to check it out but how is it in terms of "fun"? I guess it's hard to compare this with the Olympics and all but is there like an after-party of some-sort? Lots of people going to clubs and parties after the expo closes at night. I'd love to meet and pick up cute shanghai girls ;) hahaha

And hows the nightlife in Shanghai? Is it good and is it any better now that the expo is on and also are their a lot of foreigners(IE: Europe) heading over to Shanghai? :)

genesis195 05-23-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Domani (Post 6960135)
hi guys just update u guys, i've made it to china.... for those who wants to access facebook/youtube the easist way is just use the ubc vpn. it's way too easy, just log into ur cwl or use a friend's and ur good to go. (myvpn.ubc.ca) cheers.

haha nice have fun! and fail on my part.. ubc cwl... omg didn't' even think of that!!!!! :cry: o well it was a nice break not to camp out on facebook and youtube :) made me sight see more. haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenson Button (Post 6961453)
Sounds pretty fun, thinking of dropping by Shanghai to check it out but how is it in terms of "fun"? I guess it's hard to compare this with the Olympics and all but is there like an after-party of some-sort? Lots of people going to clubs and parties after the expo closes at night. I'd love to meet and pick up cute shanghai girls ;) hahaha

And hows the nightlife in Shanghai? Is it good and is it any better now that the expo is on and also are their a lot of foreigners(IE: Europe) heading over to Shanghai? :)

Shanghai is amazing! this was my first time there and honestly i want to go back so bad. Even though i can't speak mandarin just the experience was nice. Though for me.. i felt really rushed? and felt ashamed since i'm of Chinese decent and can't speak my own language.. that's pretty much what kept me from full embracing the place. Also the cultural difference, but its' been better now. It's similar if not just like Hong Kong (<3 i miss hk T^T). I was with my relatives so.. couldn't really "party". however my friends who are over in Shanghai now are freakin going nuts at all the clubs and after parties, and how everything is dirt cheap there. Not to mention the super cute shanghai girls hahah (they say the girls are easy to get.) As for foreigners i wont say there's ALOT but there is a definite noticeable increase in Caucasian population.

note: so far.. as for girls.. all if not most of my friends and relatives all tell me to stay away from shanghai girls.. it's like a trap not the thai surprise trap, but the after marriage or if u go to far kinda trap. ....

rsx 05-24-2010 07:49 PM

My Shanghai / Expo experience
- Expo was a waste of time
- Buildings were cool but that's about it
- VIP access to Canadian pavillion was cool
- Shanghai smells like garbage
- No manners, say goodbye to your personal space
- Party scene was awesome, no cover, in and outs
- Working girls drink and dance with you (if you want)
- KTV girls are by-far the best looking in Asia
- The bund

Obsideon 06-01-2010 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsx (Post 6964146)
My Shanghai / Expo experience
- Expo was a waste of time
- Buildings were cool but that's about it
- VIP access to Canadian pavillion was cool
- Shanghai smells like garbage
- No manners, say goodbye to your personal space
- Party scene was awesome, no cover, in and outs
- Working girls drink and dance with you (if you want)
- KTV girls are by-far the best looking in Asia
- The bund

I just came back from Shanghai 2 days ago. You pretty much hit everything bang on. I'll just reinforce your ideas.

Expo - Why is everything spaced so far apart?! I didn't like how stupid the ticket system was. The taxi dropped me off at "supposedly" what was the front entrance, only to get denied by the extremely rude security officer screaming at me in very fast mandarin (my own ability is somewhat limited so I didn't catch a lick of what he was saying) ... but basically I wasn't allowed in. So then I had to walk a block away to find a Expo Volunteer booth where I had to talk to a chick in broken Chinese while she was using hand signals and trying to communicate with me in fail english (she kinda had a cute british accent though lol) ... after some frustrating dialogue I figured out that I had to go to a ticket booth which was THREE BLOCKS AWAY from where I was. Why would they place it so far away?!?.... so I got lost trying to find it, and when I just so happen to wander into some random empty parking lot which reminded me of the Landsdown Mall area I saw a cluster of people. So I went over there and alas I found the ticket counter!... it was $160 RMB for the day pass but if I wait until after 4pm it's only $70 RMB ... it was only 2:30pm so I didn't feel like hanging around doing squat for an hour and half so I got the day pass... and shit what a rip off!!... the Japanese Pavillion was pretty sweet, impressive architecture ... the line-up for the Chinese one was retarded ... I only spent 3 hours wandering around, pretty lame IMHO.

Yes be prepared to get slammed by random wafts of open sewage odours everywhere you go around the city, it's so gross!... sometimes it induces instant gag reflexes ... yup, pretty bad ...

Why is everyone ALWAYS yelling?!.. it's like they are standing next to each other but it seems like they just need to let the entire room know wtf they are talking about! At first I thought they were arguing but I later realized they were just talking about the weather or some shit! Oh and the spitting?!... like TOTAL wtf!? Like it's not just the "squirt cuz I smoke" spits, it's the hardcore horking-and-sucking-everything-out-of-your sinus then spewing black/green gunk kind of spits!

Clubbing was pretty sweet, I went on a Sunday and it was still packed, some pretty hot chicks too! No cover, we hopped to 3 different spots. My friend told me it is even more INSANE on Friday/Saturday, like you would literally not be able to even turn your body! They don't follow any kind of rules, so there's no Fire Hazard max capacity ... it's basically just cram as many humans into the space as possible! Nuts!

The Bund was breathtaking! Everyone that goes to Shanghai should check it out!

The traffic!... omg the drivers here are ALL CRAZY!... taking the taxi was like the ride of your life, if you so happen to get an especially hardcore driver he weaves through everything and goes into the incoming traffic lanes, dodging trucks by a nosehair, honking and screaming at everything! Everytime I catch a cab I feel that he's gonna kill a cyclist or 2. If I knew how to I really wanted to tell him to just relax and calm down, that I wasn't really in any huge rush...

I LOVE how everything is SO CHEAP!!!... where else are you going to get 2 sandwiches and a bubbletea for $1.22 cents!! Beef Noodle & Beer for $2!
We had a ballin' dinner for 13 people (Lobsters, 2 crabs, 2 huge plates of prawns, 16 abalone, sauteed clams, 2 whole chicken and tons of other stuff etc) ... with like unlimited beer (I lost count) and the total bill was like $120. No need to tip either so that's like $9 bucks each person! You can't even get a Burger King Combo with Poutine for that!
Not to mention I got a 1-hour full head + upper body massage and hair wash treatment in a pretty nice salon for $1.45!... I went back there twice haha!... there's just too many places to remember, everything was dirt cheap!

stylez2k4 06-10-2010 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis195 (Post 6943981)

Thanks :) just want to help out my fellow rev scene members. Erm tickets again i'm not sure how much but i think mine where student tickets and one day passes so 90rmb i think each.. so 270. food was really random... I'll say i only spend around 1200 rmb at the expo with tix. Mind you i bring empty bottle for free water. I eat cheap breakfast outside the expo at this "steam bun stall" and the food i eat at the expo are the fast food and the cheap combo meals. and i didn't by any sort of souvenir :P since all i did was pictures and that's enough of a souvenir for me haha. But yes Shanghai stuff as in food, and services are cheap as dirt. 3 dollars here is 3 dollars there. LOL the mascot doll sells for 10 rmb on the streets, thats' like a dollar here LOl so ya. Bring enough but not to much, real shady bunch at the expo >< (the mainland farmers...)

Where did you manage to get water?

Domani 06-12-2010 05:36 AM

^ try to look for places where they have a few venders together, off the top of my head i can only think of the plaza between korea and vietnam pavilion. but i m sure there are lots. i ended up just buying bottled water for 3rmb cuz i felt the water fountain had a weird taste.

LemonH2O 06-23-2010 07:00 AM

I went from Vancouver to Beijing, back down to Shanghai to the expo and now in HK.

Expo was a complete waste of time, I must agree with all those who posted above.
Line ups were disgustingly long, Japan one was 5 hours (was told approximately) and like everyone said, the Chinese one was impossible to get into unless you prebooked. At least we walked into the Canadian one with our passports to enjoy the A/C. Went to a few other pavilions but nothing even remotely interesting enough to suffer that much for it. 35 degree heat, little to no shade, half of those sprinkler fans weren't on, not that they did much to cool you down, I've never sweat so much in my life.

The people there were the worst part, absolutely no manners. One woman actually pushed her daughter to go shove through line ups so she could follow. We eventually just learned to stand side by side, 4 of us managed to block most those bastards. The ones who still tried, I spoke my finely practiced line in mandarin "do you know how to line up?" along what "what are you staring at?" at a close 2nd.

stylez2k4 06-23-2010 07:24 PM

I thought a lot of the country pavilions were a bit meh but I absolutely loved the city being pavilion and the future city pavilion. Oman and Slovenia might have been my favorite ones.

Also if you stay late at around 9pm-10pm, a lot of the lines disappear. I managed to get in Australia, Austria, Finland, Netherlands, UK and a couple others without waiting in line.

Domani 06-27-2010 09:49 AM

^ yes, i too loved the theme pavilion!

trd2343 06-28-2010 12:22 PM

I need help. I will be flying to Shanghai tomorrow and I have approximately 3.5 days to visit the Expo/Shanghai. I just don't know where to start. What are the pavilions I should visit/avoid to make the best use of my limited time?

Besides the Expo, what are some places worth visiting in Shanghai? I'm not interested in clubs, shopping malls, etc. more like sight seeing and museums type of places. I don't know when's the time next time I get to visit Shanghai, so I want to take a look around too.

Domani 06-28-2010 04:03 PM

imo, other than expo, Tianzifang is worth a stroll and sit down to have a coffee. u can do the night walk on the bund and then try to find a bar close to it and then have a cold one. i went to captain youth hostel's lounge/restaurnt at top, it's has an open view of the bund very nice.

http://www.hostelworld.com/hosteldet.../Shanghai/1891

hsh4 06-28-2010 07:17 PM

hey im just wondering how safe the streets are in SH b/c ive heard many stories of people getting wallets and other stuff stolen quite frequently

Domani 06-28-2010 09:11 PM

with normal common sense in mind, SH is prob one of the safest part of china.

keep ur wallet in ur front pocket (and u can casully place ur hand the same pocket) in crowded places ie in metro or train stations.

trd2343 06-29-2010 12:01 AM

What are the hours for the expo?

Domani 06-29-2010 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reamemiya (Post 7009317)
What are the hours for the expo?

http://en.expo2010.cn/

if u wana head to china pavilion, u better line up at 4 or 5AM or else don't think even think about it. as for others, like stylez2k4 said, go late in the evening, lines are shorter but still a few hours wait for the popular countries.

threezero 06-29-2010 12:38 AM

i was going to visit the expo with my family this summer but my gf went first with her family. She is a honger and has the typically honger discriminatory view towards mainlanders. Going to expo just made that view even worst. her only comment was the expo is NOT fun, stinky, hot, and people were super rude and disgusting. and oh yea the building were nice.

I'm no longer looking forward to going.... maybe won't even go, just stay and party in hong kong in the summer instead. I heard that the chinese pavilion will remain open after the expo? Thats the one i really want to go anyways, if it will stay open than I don't see any reason why i should go this summer.

Expo is a great way to let the world know chinese are barbarians in gucci suits. I'm so ashame.....

genesis195 06-30-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threezero (Post 7009358)
i was going to visit the expo with my family this summer but my gf went first with her family. She is a honger and has the typically honger discriminatory view towards mainlanders. Going to expo just made that view even worst. her only comment was the expo is NOT fun, stinky, hot, and people were super rude and disgusting. and oh yea the building were nice.

I'm no longer looking forward to going.... maybe won't even go, just stay and party in hong kong in the summer instead. I heard that the chinese pavilion will remain open after the expo? Thats the one i really want to go anyways, if it will stay open than I don't see any reason why i should go this summer.

Expo is a great way to let the world know chinese are barbarians in gucci suits. I'm so ashame.....

Yes the China pavilion will be permanent after the expo. and for your last line. I agree, completely... The expo is a world event, way to show the world how uncivilized China is...

Domani 06-30-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis195 (Post 7010737)
Yes the China pavilion will be permanent after the expo. and for your last line. I agree, completely... The expo is a world event, way to show the world how uncivilized China is...

i would have to disagree, before this thread really goes off-topic, yes expo is
a world event. However during the press conferences, they mayor of Shanghai
said this event does not represent Shanghai or China and he
recognized the rich/poor segregation in the city. He even goes and extent his invite
the visitors to see the slums (Linong) of Shanghai. To be able to publically talk about
dark side of Shanghai (any Chinese cities for that matter) is a giant little step.

aliuu 07-19-2010 02:21 AM

leaving to shanghai tomorrow, i dont like what im hearing the heats hot enough just in vancouver =/