REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vacations and World Travel (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vacations-world-travel_246/)
-   -   Expo 2010. (https://www.revscene.net/forums/612389-expo-2010-a.html)

Domani 04-20-2010 08:03 PM

Expo 2010.

Will be in China for a few weeks thinking about flying into SH to check out the fair, anyone else going?

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-22-2010 10:54 AM

the expo is from may to october, if you can be a little more specific on when you're going to be there that would be nice.

I plan on being there as well, but as of right now I don't know when. probably late summer or mid sept.

be going to HK and TW as well since they're so close.

genesis195 04-22-2010 05:32 PM

i'm heading there on may 1st tell 8th. so ya.. LOL

Nssan 04-24-2010 09:29 AM

going in June

ae101 04-24-2010 10:34 PM

real bad idea cuz i heard from my dad that the expo is brutal, cuz before the official opening to the world ppl already starting pushing & shoving that cause injures & things broken

the stuff that was show on the CCTV news channel in china is fake none of it is true, it's a mess out there in the SH expo

(on a side note: if ur a yellow skin chinese there not gonna treat u the same as the non yellow skin ppl, just a heads up for ppl going to china)

genesis195 04-25-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae101 (Post 6923391)
real bad idea cuz i heard from my dad that the expo is brutal, cuz before the official opening to the world ppl already starting pushing & shoving that cause injures & things broken

the stuff that was show on the CCTV news channel in china is fake none of it is true, it's a mess out there in the SH expo

(on a side note: if ur a yellow skin chinese there not gonna treat u the same as the non yellow skin ppl, just a heads up for ppl going to china)

K this is going to be brutal, I'm Chinese but i don't know the shanghai dialect nor do i speak fluent mandarin. I'm practically whitewashed... If they gana treat me like any other Asain guy, fml. But I know its' going to happen i just hope its' not going to be as bad as you say it is... :( I'm not very fond of china to begin with, don't want the image to go worst.

ae101 04-25-2010 07:37 PM

well then u should watch some more china news before u make your decision cuz ppl there are getting dirtier by throwing garbage every where & making the place look more disgusting then ever

it will only look good when the foreigners get here, thats when they will start cleaning up

& my dads working in SH right now so i would know a little about yellow skin treatment (trust me your better off speaking english the whole time)

genesis195 04-26-2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ae101 (Post 6924716)
well then u should watch some more china news before u make your decision cuz ppl there are getting dirtier by throwing garbage every where & making the place look more disgusting then ever

it will only look good when the foreigners get here, thats when they will start cleaning up

& my dads working in SH right now so i would know a little about yellow skin treatment (trust me your better off speaking english the whole time)

Wow Thnx! ya, either way i need to head up to SH to visit a family member.. but he says it's hard to book of work, so a few days I'll need to fend for myself LOL. Last time I went there, I spoke English and i just got funny looks... so it was pretty fail and that's what I'm most worried about right now, not being able to communicate.

rsx 04-27-2010 11:50 PM

Checking out SH in May, any recommendations for nightlife clubs/k bars?

Going with some friends.

Ulic Qel-Droma 04-29-2010 09:29 AM

I just want to go meet beautiful shanghainese women, and fuck them...and have them be my personal tour guide. heard lots of stories about the women in shanghai. lol i don't mean the copper/gold digging stories.

and the expo is the bonus.

BeeBeeAhn 04-29-2010 09:23 PM

Going in July/August. It's already a gongshow according to a few family members and friends.

Domani 04-29-2010 10:05 PM

Hey Ulic, thinking about june 20-23rd ish...

i heard that you have to get a "pass" for every pavilion u want go on in since they only allow so many a day is that true? i might just go and take pic of the buildings.

as for yellow skin treatment. just act as white as u can and speak english... it works i've done it.

threezero 04-30-2010 04:52 AM

watching the opening right now, if i'm not having dinenr i think i would of fell asleep.

jeff19 04-30-2010 05:37 AM

^ lol I fell asleep. woke up for the fireworks part. Visuals r nuts, especially the light shows
Posted via RS Mobile

SlySi 04-30-2010 07:40 AM

I will be in HK, Guanghzou, and a short trip to Shanghai to check it out.
Will let you guys know how it went.

May 16th to May 31st

skyxx 05-01-2010 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma (Post 6930445)
I just want to go meet beautiful shanghainese women, and fuck them...and have them be my personal tour guide. heard lots of stories about the women in shanghai. lol i don't mean the copper/gold digging stories.

and the expo is the bonus.

HAHAHAHAHAH :thumbsup:

genesis195 05-04-2010 08:30 AM

Over in Shanghai now. Just visited the europe section of the expo and yes, it was crazy. Line ups are insain, expect to wait 30min to 1 hr in line (this is considered quick) or for the more popular pavillions expect at least 2 to 3 hr wait. USA, Canada, UK, Germany, France, all the MAJOR countries have crazy line ups, and if you get there early u can get a "fast pass" where it reserves the time for you so u don't have to wait to long.. but usually these are handed out within the first hour that the expo opens.

I am very much whitewashed. So when i got to Shanghai i feared that i couldn't communicate. This "lack of Mando skills" however is not a problem within the expo and some parts of Shanghai. Everyone that works there knows english (to some extent), as well if you start speaking english you get some perks, mostly better treatment and they won't be as harsh on you if u don't follow the rules. Again this is still China, even thought the technology is up to date, the people are still very "different" then the west. So expect to "fight n push" for alot of things.

For those guys who are looking to "pick up" some Shanghai girls. It is somewhat easy. Alot of the girls here would jump on the chance to talk to u in english, or atleast atempt. If u know some Mandarine then even better. If you are cacasian gg.

I'm going to the asian section tomrrow. Heard it's even worse since China pavillion is there as well as Japan and Korea....

Anyways quick tip so far. USA's display is .. honestly not worth it >< Canada's was interesting, but the architecture of the pavillion is brilliant so worth a look. Uk's was lame but the architecture again was amazing (make sure you go at night cause its' epic light show hahaha entire building is made of "fiber optics"). Also alot of people went to the building next to the UK pavillion to take pictures of the UK display. Germany was honestly the best, it was OMGZ the entire time for me haha.

i'll keep u guys updated. excuse the spelling and grammatic errors.. dead tired right now...

genesis195 05-06-2010 06:19 PM

day 2

Went over to the asain pavilion today, and hell it was epic. Japan pavilion was 3 hour wait.. and the line up doesn't die down, but it's worth it. The Korean pavilion was even more epic. (I have a "slight" bias to Korea). It's just wow and not to mention the pretty girls that work there :) and the line up isn't to bad beacuse of the well organized events that they have. China pavilion is a must see. The epicness is beyond words. they've outdone themselves... again. It pretty much puts to shame every other pavilion there. However, you need to get there early since they only allow 50 000 ppl in. How they determine this number is by a ticket handed out when you enter the expo. mind you that i was an hour early before the expo opened and there was about 10 000 people infront of me already. The ticket has a time to it, this time is just for formality sake, so if you and your group have diff times, it's alright. Another thing to note is that once you get the ticket, do not go to the China pavilion right away, you will feel the full wrath of china-man "line ups", so just chill and go later.

day 3

the commercial expo across the river. this was well worth the trip. took the free ferry service to get across from the country expos. Here they have corporate venues so its' very much like your typical commercial/ networking expos. the coke pavilion was WOW however, honestly it wasn't that worth it except you get a free bottle of coke afterwards which was much needed due to the blazing 27+ degrees outside. The Pavilion of the future is another must see. It host the "future ideas" of many countries and ideas from around the world, well worth the look. The Communications pavilion is another interesting venue, gives you an idea of where china is heading for their communications. Japan Pavilion was omgz. They had an amazing show and the displays were very "unique". they also brought a bit of Japanese flavour over, so it really placed the icing ontop of an already excellent venue. There was a venue that hosted many design groups from around the world here they had Italian design, Korean design <3, and chinese design. All of which were wow! but the korean stall had korean dancers so.. ya it was gg from there (hot korean girls dancing.. seriously screw the lambo at the italian venue.)
The korean buisness pavilion was a bit disapointing, but none the less was good and very futuristic. One can get a clear view as to where korea will be :)
But yes the best pavilion would be the Chinese automaker venue. This one was Oh My godzzz LOL. they had a hollywood worthy movie to promote their 4 concept cars and their coporate direction. they even had a special event after the show :) must see no matter what!

genesis195 05-06-2010 06:36 PM

some first hand experience
1. if you ever want to watch shows at the culture pavilion, you need a ticket. You can get tickets at the box office located at the west wing of the pavilion. Make sure you get it early.
2. No water or lighters allowed. But empty water bottles are okay. If you smoke and need a light, ask around someone will have one, also some places near the washroom have those car lighters.
3. wear good walking shoes. I did on average 12 hours of walking per day and my adidy's didn't cut it.
4. Pack light and smart. You will be runing alot and pushing through crowds or being pushed by crowds. so packing light will let you move faster more flee and agi ;)
5. Bring a light jacket. Might seem stupid since its' 27+ during the day, but once night comes around temps can drop to the 10's. I just bring a hoodie so ya lol.
6. Always have a plan cause show times and tickets and all that stuff will be gone within the first hour or so. So you need good planning.
7. bring an umbrella
8. If you want you can bring one of those portable folding chairs, 3 hour line ups arnt' fun ><

skyxx 05-06-2010 08:05 PM

Fuck that, I'm sure those chicks who work at the expo will party at night. I'll meet them at the clubs instead.

Domani 05-06-2010 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genesis195 (Post 6941309)
some first hand experience
1. if you ever want to watch shows at the culture pavilion, you need a ticket. You can get tickets at the box office located at the west wing of the pavilion. Make sure you get it early.
2. No water or lighters allowed. But empty water bottles are okay. If you smoke and need a light, ask around someone will have one, also some places near the washroom have those car lighters.
3. wear good walking shoes. I did on average 12 hours of walking per day and my adidy's didn't cut it.
4. Pack light and smart. You will be runing alot and pushing through crowds or being pushed by crowds. so packing light will let you move faster more flee and agi ;)
5. Bring a light jacket. Might seem stupid since its' 27+ during the day, but once night comes around temps can drop to the 10's. I just bring a hoodie so ya lol.
6. Always have a plan cause show times and tickets and all that stuff will be gone within the first hour or so. So you need good planning.
7. bring an umbrella
8. If you want you can bring one of those portable folding chairs, 3 hour line ups arnt' fun ><

so i assume u have a 3 day pass.

each date u enter the expo site and then head to the pavil u want to visit and pick up the admission pass of that particular pavil. is that correct?

SlySi 05-07-2010 07:57 AM

genesis195,

Great writeup.
How much did you spend in the past 3 days?
10 more days till I land there.

Edison_Chen 05-07-2010 09:10 AM

For the China pavilion, as we entered the gates (after security checked), the machine automatically printed out times to line up for the China Pavilion. The China pavilion I believe was only for reservations only. I recommend entering through the smaller side (very little/no pavilion side), and lining up at like 8 am..

Domani 05-07-2010 04:46 PM

for the guys currently in china, any luck accessing facebook? or must use some kinda proxy?

Edison_Chen 05-07-2010 06:34 PM

I heard that they blocked off facebook, twitter...