REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Fashion & Shopping

Fashion & Shopping Blackmarkers. A Filtered Selection of Clothing, Footwear and Accessories.
Gotta stay fresh! Latest fashion trends, new clothing lines, mega sales events, and awesome deals..

Old 04-23-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Business Casual Outfit??

I have my first internship with an IT firm as a web developer and they have a dress code. I have lots of question about what exactly is acceptable and not. I have Googled up ‘business casual clothing’ but received mixed results.

The dress code:
Clean and neat jeans with ‘casual business attire’ type shirt
Sweaters or collared shirt
Casual pants
Casual shoes

When they say jeans, do they mean jeans that are not baggy, ripped, or dirty? So for example, will this pair of jeans be acceptable?

Will a polo shirt or short sleeve button up shirt suffice as a casual business attire type shirt? In addition, should I get a patterned shirt or a plain shirt?

Do khakis and corduroy pants count as casual pants? What other types of pants are considered casual?

What is considered to be casual shoes? I have a pair of shoes that look like this except that it is completely black. Does this count as casual shoes?

Does business casual mean that I should wear a belt?

Does a backpack count as part of the dress code? I have a backpack similar to this. Would this be acceptable in a business casual environment, or should I purchase a more professional bag such as a messenger bag?

My body does not adapt very well to heat. As a result, in the summer I always prefer to wear light clothing such as ball shorts and t-shirt. I understand that at the IT firm, I am not allowed to wear shorts. Are there any suggestions as to what my outfit should consist of that will keep me as cool as possible?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
twisted_fate_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,455 Times in 988 Posts
dress a little nicer for a week and observe what everyone else is wearing.
its not that serious.

it probably just means dont look like a bum.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
I STILL don't get it

Business casual = dress pants, dress shoes, shirt
Business formal = full suit with tie
1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #4
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
^ agreed.

a shirt = something for the office. not something that has a dragon with a asian characters that you can wear to Fabric on a friday night

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Would this suffice?

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/iac/msuemarketing/790REGE1.JPG (the guy on the left)
twisted_fate_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,505 Times in 4,309 Posts
The meaning of "business casual" varies from different work environments and corporate culture. Start with something like the above and then see what people wear and work your way into blending in.

With that being said, it shows that you did not do enough research into your workplace.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-23-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twisted_fate_88 View Post
Would this suffice?

http://web1.msue.msu.edu/iac/msuemarketing/790REGE1.JPG (the guy on the left)
i would call that semi casual.

this is my opinion of biz cas-
http://www.middlesexcc.edu/career/im...0-%20male4.jpg

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:28 AM   #8
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
My go-to business casual is...

White shirt
black tie (I think I only have skinny black ties...)
black pants
high-end sneakers (something clean, not too gaudy and only in white or black.)

Roll up my sleeves a little, unbutton the neck button and let my tie hang a little.

Everything is still pressed and such but a little less business and a little more casual.

Just don't look like a bum and you're probably fine.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote