REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 05-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #1
YOU CANT CUT BACK ON FUNDING! YOU WILL REGRET THIS

Thanked 3,092 Times in 1,038 Posts
Best product for removing swirls?

Hi all, I recently bought a 8" random orbital from Cambodian Tire, along with a bottle of Autoglym Super Resin Polish and a foam bonnet. I tried it on my dad's Black Impreza, with some pretty good results - it took out pretty much all the holograms, and about 2/3 of the swirl marks (thanks to don docksteader cleaning.... f***ers messed it up 2 weeks after we got the car)

My question is, is the autoglym actually a good product for removing swirls? or is it just one of those polishers you put on at the end to bring out more shine? What do you guys suggest I use - or will taking out the rest of the swirls just require more time?

thanks!
Advertisement
Old 05-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,617 Times in 522 Posts
I believe AutoGlym SRP is a filler type of polish. It doesn't actually remove the swirls, it only fills up the bottom of the scratches or the edges (something like that). How many layers did you put on? I only put on one layer then waxed (due to time constraints) and it was alright.. Some swirls were still there though. I have that buffer too, but I didn't wash the bonnets thoroughly after the first couple of times I used it, so it's bonnet's are bunk now. I bought the AutoGlym hand applicator sponge and it was alright.

This has some good info: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=100889
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
more layers autoglym is what I used on my dad's Honda Pilot and it was amazing!
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 06:05 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

The AG Super Resin Polish has the ability to remove very light swirls but it mostly hides them. You need to follow it with a sealant to lock in the fillers. Failing to do so will result in the fillers being washed away over time. Is the polisher you got one of the two handled jobs? You may be able to use a light polish like Menz 106FA or maybe even Power Finish to remove more of the swirls. I've never used one so can't say for sure.
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
Banned (ABWS)

Porter Cable 7424, yellow and white Lake County pads and some Poorboy's SSR 2.5
theurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

PC 7424, orange LCCS pad with Menzerna Super Intensive Polish follow by Menzerna super finish with white pad, and 2 layers of protection along with your skills
highgloss is offline   Reply With Quote