REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-09-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Air Canada, Air China, China Eastern Airlines

I will be traveling to Shanghai around June, and these are the airlines that are available. Which one of the three would you guys recommend? I've only traveled with Air Canada before.
Advertisement
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #2
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
AC would be my first choice and Air China my second choice. I would only go on China Eastern if you're getting a super deal.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #3
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
+1 to the above.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Air China and China Eastern are absolutely garbage. They have really old planes with dated entertainment systems.

I'd rather spend a little bit more and fly Cathay or sth.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:11 PM   #5

Air Canada + 1
Air China 0
Eastern -1

Like Hehe said, i'd pay more and fly Cathay even if it means to stop in HK or something.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

My folks took China Eastern about 2 months ago. They thought they were alright. Seats were OK, but entertainment system (or lack thereof) was a downer. They had the old school single screen on the centre bulkhead entertainment setup going on their planes. If you take CE, then bring your own entertainment.

Their ticket was $800 each all in, which is $300 less than Cathay at the time. (they were going to HK) For the two of them, they saved $600 (which is almost the price of another ticket) so it was worth it for them.

If you're going on your own, then pick whatever is most comfortable. (probably AC) If there's a larger group, then go with what's cheaper since it's going to add up real quick. Shanghai is a CE hub so the flight should be direct. CE's bad rep usually is from delayed or canceled flights but if you're flying direct there, then a delayed flight shouldn't wreak as much havoc as having to make a connection.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #7
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

$600? That's quite a lot, at least to me. I will be flying with my brother and sister, possibly my mom as well, so I will have to weigh in the amount that I save if I go with Air China or Eastern. Thanks for the inputs.
trd2343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

My gf and I booked flight from YVR to Shanghai return with a return stop to HK for couple days.

all in all , $790 everything.. leaving on June 4th
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nssan View Post
My gf and I booked flight from YVR to Shanghai return with a return stop to HK for couple days.

all in all , $790 everything.. leaving on June 4th
Thanks for including the most important bit of information which is the airline you booked with.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch28 View Post
Thanks for including the most important bit of information which is the airline you booked with.
sorry .. China Eastern
Nssan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:23 PM   #11
RTS
My homepage has been set to RS

I've flown two of these airlines to Shanghai or Beijing.

Air China is BY FAR the WORST airline I've ever flow on. I flew on it once, and will never do it again. Super old planes, disgusting hygene (my pillow had hairs on it and they would NOT change it) and shitty service.

China Eastern meanwhile is not bad at all. I've flow YVR-PVG on it twice and I was fairly impressed by their planes (newer A340's) and service. If you sleep throughout the flight just bring along a book and you will not mind the lack of TV's. They have a direct YVR-PVG flight and it's cheaper than Cathay (which connects in HKG) so I would go for CE without a doubt.
RTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 10:17 PM   #12
I'm invisible

2 weeks ago, I took JAL from YVR to Tokyo (NRT), then from NRT to Shanghai. The trip was quite comfortable, the flight attendants were very polite. The food wasn't too bad. I kinda like the airport duty free at Tokyo
Old 05-11-2010, 11:09 PM   #13
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
Only good thing about China Eastern is you can get bumped up to business class for like $500 at the airport but again this depends on the load and the agent but the 3 times I've had to fly China Eastern I've had this offered to me.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:22 AM   #14
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Air Canada is by far the best of the 3. A few years back, I flew on Air Canada by myself and it was a blast. Great service, and decent food.

I flew on Air China back in 2000, and found it was alright. Their B747 made the flight more enjoyable comparing to an A340. I found the B747 configuration and seat pitch more comfortable. I am not sure if it has changed now. I can't remember much about the food and service.

I have never flown with China Eastern, but seeing their prices I question where they are cutting their budget. Prices sometimes are way to cheep for them to be profitable, but then again, they are competing on a high demand route. Both Air China, and China Eastern are government owned (majority stakes). I have heard the service on China Eastern is pretty good through relatives.

If prices are very similar, I would go with Air Canada. Support your Canadian companies and airlines!
keitaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #15
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Sorry for reviving a dead thread but I wanted to add a general comment regarding airlines...

Air Canada has come a long way in the past 5 years. I used to despite them and back in the day I always preferred Canadian Airlines... but frankly, in this day and age, they have become a very good airline. Free checked bag, seat-back entertainment, relatively pleasant service, usually on time, reasonably modern aircraft, very good safety record, mostly good partner airlines with Star Alliance.

I've flown a lot of Airlines that are supposedly decent over the past two years, and Air Canada remains among the top. British Airways was mediocre, United was average, US Airways was average, Alaska was average, Malev was decent, MyTravelAirways was solid, WestJet is pretty good, Lufthansa is pretty good, Qantas was excellent when I flew it like 10 years ago...

As for the bad: Olympic, Spanair, Iberia, Alitalia, EasyJet, Croatian, Skyservice, Thomas Cook, Transat, jetBlue, etc. Any airline that operates an ancient fleet of aircraft is immediately suspect. Spanair, for example, still flies MD-80's on major routes. I believe Olympic still has 727's.

Don't know anything about the Asian airlines, aside from the stellar reputation of Singapore Airlines and the extreme sketchiness of the smaller Chinese fleets.

Summary: 9 times out of 10 Air Canada will be the best available option. Usually you get what you pay for though.
Amaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #16
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Fail. I fly Air Canada every 5 months. Their food is shit, and the stewards/hostesses are sometimes cranky/unfriendly.
Win: Air New Zealand, Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific.
For info from people who travel very frequently, join the forum flyertalk.com
achiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 03:13 AM   #17
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Just flew china eastern yvr-pvg. Flight was alright not much turbulance but the downer side is that theres no personal entertainment. A singl3 crt screen pops down from center row and plays whatever chinese movie/indian also. Flew in afternoon so had a good sleep before flight. Bring ur own entertainment, i loaded up movies on my iphone hehe oh btw most flight attendents dont speak english. Other tha. That its fine but do beware if fly one way and from canada or wherever no s. East asia u will have to sign wavier
after all the bullshit i wont fly with them again unless its a last resort btw food sucks
Posted via RS Mobile
cecilia is offline   Reply With Quote