REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-15-2010, 04:39 AM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Air care question

so my car idles rough sometimes, i believe i know what the problem is, but i cant get to it..

i think its the IACV (idle air control valve) but i cant get to it. i think my hand is too big to fit in and remove it to clean it out..
so would this be a problem if i just left it and go to air care it?

also the exhuast pipe that connects to the cat is loose, i will probable switch the exhuast later, but curious, would this also fail me if i went to do the aircare?
Advertisement
Old 05-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
If your exhaust has a leak, they wont test you, especially if it's audible. Also, if your idle surges more than a couple hundred RPM's, they'll also refuse to test you.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:24 AM   #3
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

if your idle is low, it coule possibly cause you to fail aircare. Sometimes the trick to pass aircare is if you increase the idle speed. Are you sure it is the ICV? when was the last time the car had a tune up? Also before you go to aircare. Add 1L of methyl hydrate to the fuel tank and drive the car like you stole it for 20-30 minutes. Best of Luck.
skylinergtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
If your exhaust has a leak, they wont test you, especially if it's audible. Also, if your idle surges more than a couple hundred RPM's, they'll also refuse to test you.
you can hear the rattle at around 2000rpm after that, its not as notice...

the idle sometimes it doesnt surge but when it does, it goes from 1000-1500rpm contantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinergtr View Post
if your idle is low, it coule possibly cause you to fail aircare. Sometimes the trick to pass aircare is if you increase the idle speed. Are you sure it is the ICV? when was the last time the car had a tune up? Also before you go to aircare. Add 1L of methyl hydrate to the fuel tank and drive the car like you stole it for 20-30 minutes. Best of Luck.
i dont know when the car was last tuned, i bought it a few months back and thought it might be a good project car to work on slowly.. well, my insurance is due a few weeks b4 the air care, as long as i renew it b4 i do air care, and if it does fail i have 1 year left to get it fixed..

ive read around that there were lots people had this problem , just simply cleaned out the IAVC, and it stopped.. but the thing is that i cant remove coz theres no room to get my hands in there.. theres around half a foot of space between that and the firewall, maybe i hands are too big to fit in there... and i really dont want to start removing everything, im afraid i wont get it all back together
Old 05-15-2010, 12:06 PM   #5
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,582 Times in 4,317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FerrariEnzo View Post
my insurance is due a few weeks b4 the air care, as long as i renew it b4 i do air care, and if it does fail i have 1 year left to get it fixed..
Why not just reinsure it and fix the problem at your leisure? You have a year to get it done anyways.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 03:35 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Why not just reinsure it and fix the problem at your leisure? You have a year to get it done anyways.
yea i was thinking about that, but if it passes then i have even more time