REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Entertainment Forum

Entertainment Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Entertainment District
Members' movie reviews, Trailers, TV show post-discussions. Warning: Absolutely, do not post links to pirated or illegal download sites!

Old 05-15-2010, 11:28 PM   #1
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
3D Movies

What's your take on 3D movies? Is it simply a fad that will eventually fade away in a year or so, or is it here to stay?

My issue with 3D movies is that out of all the movies coming out, only a fraction can really justify being shown in such a manner. Animated videos, or movies with an animated feel (Polar Express comes to mind) can kinda get away with it, simply because the nature of those videos is already somewhat surreal. But other movies (Avatar, Resident Evil, etc) seem to be simply jumping on the bandwagon and doing it as a gimmick. The technology for 3D just isn't quite there yet and apart from the random sword tip or sunglasses being thrown toward the camera, there's very little in the way of actual three dimensional feed. The other issue is that the majority of these videos are converted into 3D in post production, meaning it was never filmed with the Fusion 3D system. What I've seen of these "after thought" films is just really poorly executed 3D that you're being conned into paying an extra handful of dollars to view. In my opinion, it's simply not worth it.

Personally, I'd like to see the 3D fad fade back into a niche market until technology can actually catch up to what the film industry is trying to create with the effects. I'll admit it's a neat trick, but with today's technology, it's nothing more than that: A cheap, gimmicky trick.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on it?
Advertisement
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

I like it with Avatar and animated movies only. Avatar looks stupid on a regular tv after you've seen it in IMAX.
JKam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 AM   #3
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Avatar-like movies please. 2D animated like Shrek or Up can stay 2D. In fact I prefer the 2D versions of those kinds of movies.
LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #4
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
The entertainment industry is pushing it because they want to curb piracy and get people back into the theatres

the home entertainment companies are pushing it because they want people to keep buying new electronics

so when you have both spectrum's pushing it heavily it's here to stay unless the public just doesn't buy it at all (and i dont see that happening since everything new and "top of the line" has it incorporated)

personally, i've tried out some of the 3D displays for home television... it looks nice but i can't see myself buying like 10 pairs of glasses to use for movie nights (that'd be like what, a few thousand dollars?) nor can i see myself actually watching a lot of movies in that format

PS (are you trying to lure Skinnypupp in here so the newbs can flame him?)
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
resident Oil Guru

Thanked 10,457 Times in 1,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
The entertainment industry is pushing it because they want to curb piracy and get people back into the theatres
3D movies could EASILY be pirated. Watch it in youtube so that it overlays the images..

LiquidTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #6
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,822 Times in 3,903 Posts
there's already a thread on this
in more recent pixar films, do they add the 3d effects after they've rendered things or do they consider the effects throughout?
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Im indifferent to 3d.

If its done well, the movie will do well. And vice versa if it doesn't....no gain, no harm.

One movie that was horribly done in 3d was Clash of the Titans. Horrible 3d rendering, and hence, it didn't do good.

But one movie that stood out in 3d was The Final Destination. Yes, it was a horrible movie...just like the rest of the Final Destination movies. But at least they made 3d fun.

If they can get the rendering to a point where A. its extremely good or B. just purely enjoyable....why not. The technology is right in front of them for movie makers to do simply.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 03:35 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,352 Times in 445 Posts
I dunno... After avatar 3D I watched Alice in wonderland. That was my last 3D movie until another avatar level movie comes out. For me 3D is more for the experience, and doesn't make the movie any better. Infact it probably makes it worst, having to wear those stupid goggles and all.

I know I'm saying it now, but I never plan on buying a 3D television either. I know the price will drop eventually, but the whole goggle thing is a pain in the ass.
Posted via RS Mobile
vafanculo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
screw 3D I can't wait for hologram's
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Gotta say, every movie is a gimmick like. Avatar was insane over the top impressive. It was absolutely immersive. That's how 3-D should be like. Not just this cheap eye-popping crap.
<div id="zunecard_big" class="zunecard"><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://social.zune.net//xweb/lx/swf/zunecard.swf?ver=1192" style="" id="flashUserCard" name="flashUserCard" bgcolor="#FFF" wmode="opaque" salign="tl" flashvars="baseURL=http%3a%2f%2fsocial.zune.net%2f zcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3fzunetag%3dbedheadfr 3d%26src%3dlarge&MMplayerType=PlugIn" height="260" width="548"></div>
Neoxphuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

seen a couple of 3d movies. so far only avatar was cool, the rest had cheap 3d effects
ceeteezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Fuck this gayass 3d shit they need to invent the holodeck
Posted via RS Mobile
rice cooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by christruong View Post
seen a couple of 3d movies. so far only avatar was cool, the rest had cheap 3d effects
That's because all other movies have been post processed to be 3D rather than shot in 3D

I think the 2nd movie that's using Avatars 3D tech for filming is the new Resident Evil that's still in the works the rest are just shot in 2D and "converted" to 3D

RE should give you a great 3D experience

there are a few other movies that will be filmed in 3D that's on the way

The Alien Pre-Quels (yes i said quels); the Twilight Finale; Battle of Stalingrad (Russian movie; if it ever gets the money)

Last edited by StylinRed; 05-17-2010 at 12:54 PM.
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Totally agree with OP. I think skinnypupp made a long rant about 3D movies as well a while ago.
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Yeah, I forgot that another thread had already been made. I'm not sure if it survived or if it was deep-sixed when it turned into a bit of a flame fest, though.

But yeah, I was watching the RE5 trailer and saw the exclamations throughout the entire thing that it's being filmed in 3D... that's what annoyed me. I'm not against 3D per se, but at this point I'd rather just watch the regular 2D version.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:37 AM   #16
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,063 Times in 1,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoxphuse View Post
Gotta say, every movie is a gimmick like. Avatar was insane over the top impressive. It was absolutely immersive. That's how 3-D should be like. Not just this cheap eye-popping crap.
Exactly the way I feel about 3D.

Avatar was amazing mostly because of the 3D experience. The story itself, like many others have pointed out, was so simple. My parents don't go to the theatre very often, and I urged them to watch Avatar repeatedly. They actually made it to the theatre once, but my mom forgot her glasses, so they returned home.

Once I found out it wasn't being shown in 3D anymore, I told them not to bother anymore.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:41 PM   #17
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,327 Times in 5,643 Posts
3D will fail because of the absolutely horriblely designed glasses

when 20% of my vision is out the side of the glasses still, wtf is the point? it ruins the whole experiance for me, why the hell would they not make the glasses have a lense that completely envelops the eye, not some stupid designer frames that sit 2 inches off your face

i've tried the 3D sets like 6 diff times on numerous sets, i've always come to the same conclusion

why would i pay 3600 for a 42" Panasonic 3D TV when i could get the 42" XBR10 for 2300 or cheaper..