REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Buy & Sell > Real-Estate Listings

Real-Estate Listings Apartments, Condos, Houses.
Looking for a place to rent or lease? Even ready to buy your first home? Remember to look on MLS listings, but check out our postings too!

Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM   #1
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Leaky Condos

i'm debating about upgrading to a townhouse or a house in the next while, and i know that a majority of condos built in the 80s and 90s had problems with leaking, does anyone know if this was mainly limited to condos, or is this a common problem in townhouses/houses built around that same era?
Advertisement
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

It's more or less the construction practices during those years. You'll find problems with both condos and townhomes. It really depends on who the contractor and developer were.

Even if it was leaky before, if the repairs have been done properly and is warrantied it shouldn't be a problem. The condo I live in now was leaky before I bought it. All the work was done before I bought it and is warrantied.
aznrsx1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #3
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznrsx1979 View Post
It's more or less the construction practices during those years. You'll find problems with both condos and townhomes. It really depends on who the contractor and developer were.

Even if it was leaky before, if the repairs have been done properly and is warrantied it shouldn't be a problem. The condo I live in now was leaky before I bought it. All the work was done before I bought it and is warrantied.
how about condos/townhomes vs. houses?
Marioo1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeivb View Post
how about condos/townhomes vs. houses?
Well, if you want the value of your home to keep its value, then you have to make sure that you take responsibility in maintaining your property at the appropriate times.

The only difference is...condos/townhouses TELL you when its time to replace the roof, maintain the balconies..etc, etc.

As much as construction practices are a factor...i still have to slightly disagree, and this is what I tell all my clients who think that ALL Bosa, Cressey, and any big name developers make sound construction buildings.

Heres a question you may want to answer in perspective:

If you have two buildings side by side, built by the same construction company, built at the same time and identical in every single way....which building will last longer??

The answer is the building that has owners that proactively take care of the building.

All buildings are built with a minimal code (now even a better code if built after 2001). If the owners of the building never attend the meetings, never take action on maintaining the building, etc...it will definitely have problems. On the other side, you have strata corporations where they take great interest in every aspect of the building and they put funds together for proactive maintenance will not be likely to see the same problems.

I live in a building that was built in 1976 and after 30+ years of existence, there hasn't been a single problem....pretty impressive for a building that old. Yet, a client and I had placed an offer on building that was 2006 built....and i was able to identify rainscreen problems, engineers report issues, etc. After 5 years?? Even with a building with most of its warranties...its still subject to problems.

If you want to pinpoint an era where you will find a lot of leaky condos, i will say its buildings built between 1992-1997. However, that doesn't mean that they are all bad....please refer to the reasoning above. If you ask me, a lot of condos built in the 80s are really well built....well maintained? Different stoy...

Your agent will be able to guide you on how to avoid the leaky issue. If you don't have one...im sure you will find at least one on your facebook friends list. Im sure if you have a friend as an agent, he/she'll do whatever it takes to make sure you don't get screwed over.

Last edited by RayBot; 05-18-2010 at 07:56 PM.
RayBot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:06 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

The cache with going with a big name developer these days is losing its meaning. With the amount of new stratas out there with atrocious build quality of which one can see, just imagine the kind of latent defects are hidden to potential buyers/owners that are not so visible.

It's not just construction quality as much as it is architectural design (ie: roof overhangs). A well built but poorly designed building won't survive long in our wet weather climate. I wouldn't say water ingress issues are mainly isolated to stratas as I've seen the newer style homes (~10yrs) with moisture issues - those first generation Vancouver Specials with the coloured stucco and tile roof.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 08:11 PM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

When buying a strata, a general starting point would be to see how the exterior of the building looks (ie: is there any moss growing? glass dirty? water stains?) and take note of their design. It's usually a good indication of what to expect to see once you're inside.

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
Banned (ABWS)

load up on your insurance, make sure you max it you when it comes to strata deductible or assessment. Request Strata times, it shows the previous upgrades or claims. New condos are worst than old ones, same goes for house.

If you buy into a older condo that has already upgraded ur good
Lissy is offline   Reply With Quote