REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Dicount Broker

This has been discussed a bit in the Stock Market thread but I wanted to get your guys' opinions on online discount brokers. I'm planning to open a TFSA at one of them with $10k to invest. I'll be trading reasonably actively over the summer (5-10 a month) then likely go to less risky long-term investments in the fall when I go back to school (bonds and mutual funds). The ones I've been primarily looking at are Scotia iTrade and Questrade.

I likely won't be qualifying for the lowest pricing tier on iTrade so the commissions on Questrade are certainly lower. This can be a pretty big deal with a small account like mine (easily 1-2% of a trade).

Neither have any fees aside from commissions as far as I can tell. Are the ECN fees the same for all discount brokers or do these vary?

Mutual funds have $0 up front commission on iTrade. $9.95 on Questrade but you keep the trailer (usually 1%) so if you hold for a year or two this would again be cheaper.

So far Questrade seems like the better option but are there any factors I'm not considering? How do the research tools compare? Does one have better access to certain funds and markets?

Thanks in advance. I hope this can serve as a good resource for others in the same situation.
Advertisement
Crowtservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

another option: https://www.thinkorswim.ca
hirevtuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
I STILL don't get it

http://finviz.com/store/stock-brokers.ashx

go knock yourself out
think or swim isnt accepting new accounts right now for canadians.
of the big four td waterhouse will get you the best fills the fastest.
everytime a discount broker gets successful in canada one of the big four just buys them out and later jacks up commision damn canadian banks have a monopoly here
Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

ThinkOrSwim looks great except it doesn't offer TFSAs and accounts can hold only USD which doesn't work for what I need it to do. Also as willcls mentioned it hasn't been open for registration in about 8 months. It will be interesting to see what it's like once TD gets it started up again (currently all my banking is done at TD so it would be convinient).

As for TD Waterhouse the commission rate is too high for it to be a viable option right now. If I had $100k+ to invest I could get the $9.99 rate and would go there for sure.

Anyone else have suggestions/comments on the deep-discount brokers ($5-$10 per trade)?
Crowtservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 AM   #5
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

I've always used RBC Direct Investing since Day 1, all my other accounts are with RBC, so that was my major deciding factor, pretty easy to use platform and since I do more than 30 trades per quater, i only pay $9.99/trade

A couple of my buddies have used TD's platform before and have been pretty happy, they've spent millions in the last couple years to update their trading platform, it was such a piece of crap not too many years ago...
ehhhwik is offline   Reply With Quote