REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:56 AM   #26
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Hey, I saw two trucks from WA state today... and guess what? Neither had DRL's. And I saw them coming around the corner.

Holy crap!
Why are you against more visibility?
Posted via RS Mobile
Advertisement
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
Why are you against more visibility?
I'm not, sorry if it comes across that way.

I don't see the point of front-only DRL's. And no standard.. could be marker lights, turn signals, fog lights, low or high beams at reduced voltage, etc.. all or nothing baby! I disabled my DRL's, but I turn on my marker lights front and rear whenever I drive. That way there's lights front and rear.

My point, is that I don't need DRL's to be able to see a vehicle on the road. Pay attention to your driving, and remove the distractions in your car (radio, passengers, food, phone, etc)... and then DRL's will be redundant to you too.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #28

In everyday sense yeah you can see the car. But maybe early mornings or evenings, or a really cloudy rainy day they definitely help quite a bit. If they can stop something in those few situations then they are still useful.
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 05-31-2010, 12:19 PM   #29
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Yeah, maybe.. but then again, I guess I'm just "old school". If it's rainy, or early morning or evening... you're supposed to turn your regular lights on!

The one thing I really, really hate... about DRL's... and now those auto-lit dashboards on some cars... is that people forget to turn on their regular lights.. at NIGHT!! What a pain in the butt.

But.. I can still see their cars
Old 05-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #30

Nightvision?
Posted via RS Mobile
Old 06-27-2010, 05:55 PM   #31
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlenko View Post
Yeah, maybe.. but then again, I guess I'm just "old school". If it's rainy, or early morning or evening... you're supposed to turn your regular lights on!

The one thing I really, really hate... about DRL's... and now those auto-lit dashboards on some cars... is that people forget to turn on their regular lights.. at NIGHT!! What a pain in the butt.

But.. I can still see their cars
Since Car companies have LED technology at the tips of their hands, they should have hint of different colors to illumate the background of the car gauges to notify the driver what lights they have on..

no lights on - no lights at gauge
parking lights/DRL - orange
normal lights - green
highbeams - blue
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:04 PM   #32
I subscribe to Revscene

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2_narain View Post
Since Car companies have LED technology at the tips of their hands, they should have hint of different colors to illumate the background of the car gauges to notify the driver what lights they have on..

no lights on - no lights at gauge
parking lights/DRL - orange
normal lights - green
highbeams - blue
I'd rather my dash not look like an amusement park.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:40 PM   #33
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
I'd rather my dash not look like an amusement park.

similar to this though:

but different stokes for different folks..
l2_narain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #34
I subscribe to Revscene

If people can't figure out how to turn on their lights, you expect them to remember what each of the colours their gauges turn mean?

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #35
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
The argument about DRL's being "bad" because people forget to turn on their full lights at night is ridiculous - I see the same number of idiots in older cars WITHOUT DRLs driving around at night forgetting to turn their lights on too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #36
B&S Sexy mod

^its not that DRL's are "bad" its just dumb that the dash lights are active along with the DRL's so all the lights that are visible to the operator indicate that the vehicles lights are all on
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:58 PM   #37
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Well that's just poor design on that particular vehicle's part, not an issue with the DRL concept. My 2003 MPV work van doesn't work this way; neither does our 2008 Jeep, or its 1996 Grand Voyager predecessor.

My Dad's 2008 Silverado is actually pretty neat, it has an "auto" function on the lights that automatically turns the full lighting on when it gets dark, and turns all the exterior lights off when you shut off the engine and get out. Never have to touch the light switch again, never have to worry about looking like a dork driving around at night with nothing but the DRLs on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:00 AM   #38
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

this is old ...i do this manually by flickering my headlights at vehicles who have trouble seeing me.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 AM   #39
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
[.

My Dad's 2008 Silverado is actually pretty neat, it has an "auto" function on the lights that automatically turns the full lighting on when it gets dark, and turns all the exterior lights off when you shut off the engine and get out. Never have to touch the light switch again, never have to worry about looking like a dork driving around at night with nothing but the DRLs on.[/QUOTE]

Yep...that's the "old guy senior edition package"...wish I could get one for my car...including one that auto-cancels my turn signals>
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #40
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo911_ View Post
^its not that DRL's are "bad" its just dumb that the dash lights are active along with the DRL's so all the lights that are visible to the operator indicate that the vehicles lights are all on
I agree with this. My car has a small green light on my dash to tell me that I turned on my lights. I wonder how many of those who don't turn on their lights would even notice that. It's really annoying in that in the past, if the person looks down at their speed, it'll be dark and that'll remind them to turn on their lights. Now, unless they are looking for a radio switch or something, they won't even notice their lights cause they can see their dash perfectly fine.

Then they have these new auto headlights which then spoils everyone so that when they get into a car without the auto headlights, they'll forget to turn on their headlights cause they're so used to the car doing it automatically for them.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:23 AM   #41
B&S Sexy mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Well that's just poor design on that particular vehicle's part, not an issue with the DRL concept. My 2003 MPV work van doesn't work this way; neither does our 2008 Jeep, or its 1996 Grand Voyager predecessor...
It is indeed poor design, which IMO should be forced out by regulations (if it hasnt)
Our old jetta, s10, and windstar were all like that along with various other vehicles. At least the automatic ones are starting to catch on now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
...including one that auto-cancels my turn signals>
But then the seniors wont be able to warn you about their upcoming left turn 14 km down the road (the same reason they're sitting in the fast lane of the pat bay hwy doing 60 )
stevo911_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:07 AM   #42
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
What I would really like to see are brake lights that flash rapidly three times under hard braking.
x2!

I've seen videos of these in action and they make a huge difference in noticing the car infront of you has slammed on its brakes vs just braking lightly.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #43
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 1,105 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy

My Dad's 2008 Silverado is actually pretty neat, it has an "auto" function on the lights that automatically turns the full lighting on when it gets dark, and turns all the exterior lights off when you shut off the engine and get out. Never have to touch the light switch again, never have to worry about looking like a dork driving around at night with nothing but the DRLs on.
Yep...that's the "old guy senior edition package"...wish I could get one for my car...including one that auto-cancels my turn signals>
My mercedes has both

The auto lights are awesome, I've never taken the switch out of this mode.
My turn signal stalk has a tap feature for changing lanes. Tap it in any direction and the signals blink 3 times then cancel automatically.
taylor192 is offline   Reply With Quote