REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness (https://www.revscene.net/forums/sports-sports-entertainment-fitness_35/)
-   -   Supplement Question (https://www.revscene.net/forums/615352-supplement-question.html)

Meowjin 05-21-2010 03:59 PM

Supplement Question

I recently just started to hit the gym hard and get my diet back in track after about a year of lazyness/setback.

My brother (who owns a supplements store) gave me a plethora of supplements for free. Was wondering if I can get some insight...

ZMA: Claims to raise testosterone levels (research on the net claims its pixie dust)

Kre-Alkalyn: Better than creatine?

Allmax Muscle Prime: It seems to me like nitrix oxide mixed with a shitload of caffeine: Gives me insane head rushes (I believe I have a sensitivity to caffeeine.

Muscletech Anabolic Halo: It's a post workout drink, what I'm assuming spikes insulin levels. But it's pricey and I'm pretty sure this stuff can be replaced by a glass of chocolate milk or a teaspoon of sugar.

SkinnyPupp 05-21-2010 06:58 PM

ZMA =: Bullshit. A good Magnesium supplement should be a staple supplement though (along with fish oil and vitamin D)

Kre-Alkalyn = bullshit. Use monohydrate.

Nitrix supplements = bullshit

Halo = overpriced bullshit. Find a simpler one with similar ingredients. Universal Torrent is the one I use.

Don't take fat in your PWO, or your insulin is pushing fat rather than aminos into your cells.

So if you're going to mooch of your brother get:

Magnesium (something chelated - it will end in "ate" like "Magnesium Malate") take enough to get 300-400mg per night. Take it at night, it has a nice side effect of helping you sleep.

Vitamin D - absolutely crucial if you live in Vancouver where the sun shines about 2 months a year. 1000 iu should be enough in the summer if you're outdoors a lot and get a lot of sunshine. Otherwise take 4000-5000 per day.

Fish Oil - Get a concentrated supplement. The best is bottled (usually just tastes like lemon) Ascenta has a very good quality fish oil for a good price. 1 tbsp per day

Then you have the workout stuff:

Creatine Monohydrate 5g per day (take with PWO on workout days if it's not already in the PWO)
Protein powders - whatever you like, just don't get "gainer" supplements
PWO - like I mentioned above.

That will be more than enough. Just focus on working hard and eating. Just about everything else is silly BS.

RayBot 05-22-2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 6961103)
ZMA =: Bullshit. A good Magnesium supplement should be a staple supplement though (along with fish oil and vitamin D)

Kre-Alkalyn = bullshit. Use monohydrate.

Nitrix supplements = bullshit

Halo = overpriced bullshit. Find a simpler one with similar ingredients. Universal Torrent is the one I use.

Don't take fat in your PWO, or your insulin is pushing fat rather than aminos into your cells.

So if you're going to mooch of your brother get:

Magnesium (something chelated - it will end in "ate" like "Magnesium Malate") take enough to get 300-400mg per night. Take it at night, it has a nice side effect of helping you sleep.

Vitamin D - absolutely crucial if you live in Vancouver where the sun shines about 2 months a year. 1000 iu should be enough in the summer if you're outdoors a lot and get a lot of sunshine. Otherwise take 4000-5000 per day.

Fish Oil - Get a concentrated supplement. The best is bottled (usually just tastes like lemon) Ascenta has a very good quality fish oil for a good price. 1 tbsp per day

Then you have the workout stuff:

Creatine Monohydrate 5g per day (take with PWO on workout days if it's not already in the PWO)
Protein powders - whatever you like, just don't get "gainer" supplements
PWO - like I mentioned above.

That will be more than enough. Just focus on working hard and eating. Just about everything else is silly BS.

Dude....the stuff you post amaze me most of the times.