REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #26
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy_888 View Post
I don't think there is any debate over which car has more technology, the Veyron is truly a marvel. However, both cars are bad ass...I dont know how much those tuned GTR's cost, but pretty impresive to be able to hang with a million dollar machine.
Exactly. Also doesn't help that the Veyron has 10 more cylinders than the GTR and 2 more turbos lol.
Advertisement
1990 Mercedes 300TE. Future daily
2000 Subaru Impreza. Broken, lady's daily
Delerious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:09 AM   #27
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

pretty sweet very impressive
R33Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:35 AM   #28
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,891 Posts
i'm assuming that's germany?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthehalfbee View Post

The Veyron makes its power with full catalytic convertors installed and emits about the same amount of "smog forming pollution" as a stock GT-R with cats, despite developing over twice the HP.

So who has the "real" technology?
Since when does racing like this have to do with emissions? And how many parts that are out here being used in Van by tuners are actually "street legal" and won't get a VI? You just saw a video of a tuned GTR keeping up with a car that use over twice as many cylinders and twice as many turbos. Were you really not impressed by that?
ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #30
Banned (ABWS)

finally.. people are starting to agree with me that gtr>>>all
orange7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2010, 06:32 PM   #31
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajax View Post
Since when does racing like this have to do with emissions? And how many parts that are out here being used in Van by tuners are actually "street legal" and won't get a VI? You just saw a video of a tuned GTR keeping up with a car that use over twice as many cylinders and twice as many turbos. Were you really not impressed by that?
I know people who drag race with Fords & Chevys that will take a Veyron in a straight line up to shy of 300 km/h. Why should a GT-R that costs far more than either of them impress me?

Of course, someone is going to chime in and say a GT-R is a much nicer car then a Mustang or Camaro with better build quality and a better interior, but a Veyron compared to a GT-R is like a GT-R compared to a Hyundai Pony when you talk about build quality.

How much power would a Veyron make (and how much faster would it be) without any cats and tuned for max HP instead of reliablity & emissions compliance?

Comparing modded cars to stock is just plain stupid.
ericthehalfbee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 05-23-2010, 09:24 PM   #32

Quote:
I know people who drag race with Fords & Chevys that will take a Veyron in a straight line up to shy of 300 km/h. Why should a GT-R that costs far more than either of them impress me?

Of course, someone is going to chime in and say a GT-R is a much nicer car then a Mustang or Camaro with better build quality and a better interior, but a Veyron compared to a GT-R is like a GT-R compared to a Hyundai Pony when you talk about build quality.

How much power would a Veyron make (and how much faster would it be) without any cats and tuned for max HP instead of reliablity & emissions compliance?

Comparing a modded 800hp car to a stock 150hp car would be stupid. But comparing the GTR to the Veyron in this video isn't. Its hp to hp and almost has a David vs Goliath sense to it. I'd be saying the same thing if the Veyron was tuned to full potential and racing lets say a full drag car in a straight line. If it kept up for a while it would be impressive.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #33

Thanked 5,380 Times in 857 Posts
Quote:

Except the plain stock car in this case has 1000 HP...
Old 05-24-2010, 02:53 AM   #34
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,978 Times in 1,684 Posts
Oh my, I've never seen the Veyron as badass like this until now.
Crazy how the wing just goes vertical almost to increase drag when the car slows down
from high speeds.

I'm just glad none of the cars were black. I hate black cars. Just see floating lights at night.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:54 AM   #35
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
White GT-R is bad ass
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:33 AM   #36
no

Thanked 6,058 Times in 1,222 Posts
awesomeness
jpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #37
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Sick video!!

It's in Russia.

http://www.dragtimes.info/en/
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:06 PM   #38
RS controls my life!

Quote:
Go to the website of the company that made the cars. They don't run catalytic convertors (they use straight pipes which they actually state are for off-road use only). Therefore, not street legal. Funny they're driving a car that's using "off-road" parts on the street.

Plus, as already mentioned, they're shooting flames out of the exhaust. That means they're dumping fuel (running rich, a "safe" way to tune an engine for increased power without worrying about things blowing up). Unfortunately, you can't run a rich tune with a catalytic convertor as it will melt down and self-destruct.

The Veyron makes its power with full catalytic convertors installed and emits about the same amount of "smog forming pollution" as a stock GT-R with cats, despite developing over twice the HP.

So who has the "real" technology?
your a moron. welcome to the world of modified cars. have a seat and grab some popcorn you have a lot to learn.
jackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal View Post
your a moron. welcome to the world of modified cars. have a seat and grab some popcorn you have a lot to learn.
I have a lot to learn?

Right now in our shop we have a Lamborghini Countach getting a standalone conversion which will end up being the most sophisticated Countach conversion ever done. Perhaps you'd like to come by and show me what I'm doing wrong?
Old 05-25-2010, 02:44 AM   #40
RS controls my life!

i don't care wtf you have going on in what ever shop but a statement like this

"They don't run catalytic convertors (they use straight pipes which they actually state are for off-road use only). Therefore, not street legal. Funny they're driving a car that's using "off-road" parts on the street."

proves you know nothing about the tuner/moding scene. the only people that give a flying fuk about "street legal" is the government. and no one that mods cars gives a fuk about catalytic converters or aircare that shits just a cash grab and there are so many ways to fake a pass that they are useless tests anyways.

show me one set of coilovers for any vehicle thats not in the top .5% of the automotive price range that is actually deemed road legal.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:59 AM   #41
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 1,357 Times in 508 Posts
Quote:
show me one set of coilovers for any vehicle thats not in the top .5% of the automotive price range that is actually deemed road legal.
I don't think the coilovers are ever road-illegal as long as the shocks can be adjusted so that the springs do not fall off the perch at full droop....Or that you keep the spring perches at a position fulfilling that requirement...

I'm pretty sure if the suspension setup complies to that the "coilover" themselves are deemed road legal. Our system does not require our suspension components be TUV or something compliant like Germany AFAIK...Even a change of suspension geometry and mounting point is kind of a grey area in the rules because the rules were written when unibodies were not widely used...

I am not 100% sure but you can fully pass a VI at any location with a set of coilovers if the above criteria is met.

• 2017 Alfa Romeo Giula Q4
  • 1999 Nissan Stagea 260RS 1 of 748
  • 1998 Nissan Laurel Medallion Club S drift boi
  • 1991 Lexus LS400 mint boi
  • 1989 Nissan S-Cargo cute boi
hk20000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 AM   #42

Quote:
i don't care wtf you have going on in what ever shop but a statement like this

"They don't run catalytic convertors (they use straight pipes which they actually state are for off-road use only). Therefore, not street legal. Funny they're driving a car that's using "off-road" parts on the street."

proves you know nothing about the tuner/moding scene. the only people that give a flying fuk about "street legal" is the government. and no one that mods cars gives a fuk about catalytic converters or aircare that shits just a cash grab and there are so many ways to fake a pass that they are useless tests anyways.

The only person who knows nothing is you. The more you talk the clearer this becomes. I bet if this was any car other than God's Chariot you wouldn't be whining.

It's about playing on a level field. You could have 16 cars in an F1 race and 15 stick to the rules but one car has a larger engine, different aerodynamics and a bunch of other "mods" that make the car much faster. They then go on to win the race. Is anybody going to be impressed by this? No, because they "cheated".

Comparing a highly modded and illegal car to a stock, street legal vehicle is pointless.

But then again, I bet you just loved this video. You have your head so far up the GT-R's ass that you probably actually believe the GT-R is somehow in the same league as a Veyron. Just like all the Nissan fanbois.

So tell me, what cars have you ever tuned before (coilovers and CAI's don't count) that make you an "expert" in this field?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #43
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange7 View Post
finally.. people are starting to agree with me that gtr>>>all
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #44

Quote:

It's about playing on a level field. You could have 16 cars in an F1 race and 15 stick to the rules but one car has a larger engine, different aerodynamics and a bunch of other "mods" that make the car much faster. They then go on to win the race. Is anybody going to be impressed by this? No, because they "cheated".

Comparing a highly modded and illegal car to a stock, street legal vehicle is pointless.
The problem is - playing on the level field is usually not the case in life. If you meet up with a car at the track or drag strip and get beat, are you going to complain that the other car was "cheating" because it was modified? If stock vs stock is all that people were interested in, we could just read car magazines and bench race.

There are crummy vehicles at Mission or autox tracks that will decimate my car performance wise, yet I give credit where credit is due - they've put work into their vehicle to make it fast, whether it be in a straight line or in the corners. I don't complain and say...but oh, my car has a nicer interior, better build quality and has heated leather seats. I went to the race and I get beat, I accept that.

I don't see what the problem in giving the GTR credit for keeping up to a vehicle that is several times it's price, just as I would give credit to a modified Civic keeping up with a Viper.
Adrenaline Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #45
RS controls my life!

this isn't motoring 2010 and this isn't f1 this is 3 people comparing cars in a super scetchy makeshift drag race. again no one cares about playing feilds. and if you watch f1 or ANY motorsports there are rules, much like laws, and EVERY team does EVERYTHING they can to manipulate and bend the rules as far as possible to gain an advantage. i would be interested if a hyundai accent was keeping up with a veyron i don't give 2 shits about the gtr the vid shows that someone was successful at making a crazy fast gtr one that still can't hang with a veyron.

as for coilovers hk2000 you are right you would be able to pass a vi with a set of coilovers BUT every single instaliation instructions i have every seen will clearly state they are for off-road use only. they do this for liability purposes. the same goes for a lot of other parts we put on our cars.

ericthehalfbee your comments are just naiive and childish and although its clear its simply your opinion your comments were so rediculous something needed to be said and in the end they are simply my opinions.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #46
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Does every thread in which two cars race need an argument?
PavelGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:10 PM   #47

Quote:

Okay now what if that "cheating" car is a F2 car competing with the F1 cars, does it matter if the car has more modifications? I would be impressed if it overtook the F1 cars and won.

And you are completely chaning the arguement here. The GTR does not have a larger engine, I doubt the aerodynamics on the GTR are better than the Veyron and it is definitely not faster than the Veyron. What's your point now?

Are you not going to race your Countach against another Countach because it does not have the same mods as you? Is it pointless for you to race a Diable because it's a totally different car? If all racing was the way you described it, it would be boring as shit.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #48
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,766 Times in 1,750 Posts
Quote:

Uhhh, not every country where GTR's are sold have the same emissions restrictions that we do.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 PM   #49

I have seen a lot of threads/videos where a GT-R has been beaten by a modified Mustang or Camaro. You can sum up all of the comments into 5 basic statements:

- You had to run a highly modified "Mustang/Camaro" to beat a stock GT-R. Stock vs stock the GT-R would've killed it.
- It needed 2 extra cylinders and mods to beat the stock GT-R.
- Sure it's fast in a straight line, but wait until it gets to a corner.
- It has a shitty interior.
- It's still a POS Ford.

So now I use the same arguments the GT-R fans use against domestics and apply them to the GT-R/Veyron race and people get so bent out of shape.

You can read pages and pages of comments and you'll have to look very hard to find a GT-R fan that gives credit to a car like a Mustang that beats it. So why do I have to give credit to a GT-R that can almost hang with a Veyron? They didn't accomplish anything special at all - there are a ton of cars that can do that and for half the cost of a GT-R.

A person who mods up a Civic or Mustang and proceeds to beat a Porsche will take satisfaction in winning, but they would never think their car is as good as a Porsche or Ferrari. GT-R fans believe, I mean sincerely believe, that the GT-R is in the same class as a Ferrari or Lamborghini, and with a few bolt-ons even the Veyron.

This is the difference between GT-R fans and "regular" car fans.

Oh, and jackal, I'm still waiting to hear about some cars you've built and what types of engineered solutions you've come up with. Or is all your knowledge "book" based?
Old 05-25-2010, 08:02 PM   #50
RS controls my life!

All my knowledge is from initial d and my bedsheets are covered with gtr's.

Btw you changed your argument again. Now it's about fan boys? I thought you were arguing about road legality? Or was it Having an even playing feild? I can't remember...
Posted via RS Mobile