REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum


Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > HealthCare & Wellness

HealthCare & Wellness Breaking the Chains of Addiction. The Last Door Recovery Society
Mature discussion surrounding important health issues and concerns. Alternative therapies, healthcare questions, discussion of community resources, peer support help, group therapy, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #51
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Van
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 871 Times in 226 Posts
Took Accutane awhile ago in high school. My Acne was severe but I really wanted to rid of my acne. I've tried many other things such as ProActive.ProActive works, but only for a short period of time. My body adapted to the formula and it stopped working.

So i went through a whole bunch of other garbage products till my Dermo. suggested Accutane. This stuff works wonders! I was on it for 3 months and my face was super clear once I had gotten off. It cleared up previous dark pigmentation from previous acne as well. The only side effect I had was dry skin. It has many other side effects but it depends from patient to patient.

When on the product your actually suppose to be seeing your Dermo. every two weeks just to see how your skin and body is handling the medicine.

Expensive product too but it works.

JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:33 AM   #52
RS Veteran
 
Conan O'Brien Sex Video's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: .
Posts: 2,047
Thanked 25 Times in 19 Posts
after years of trying various face washes, treatments (non prescription), products you'd find at london drugs, i was sick of it. i didn't like using products with unpronouncable ingredients, ingredients possibly linked to cancer/illnesses, that didn't even work. for hte last year i've been trying natural (edible) products. recently i tried oil of oregano and OMG does it work for me. it's apparently a VERY strong antibacterial/antifungal/antimicrobial oil. and i use organic coconut oil to moisturize.
Conan O'Brien Sex Video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #53
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidTurbo View Post
Everyone says diet has zero affect on pimples, blah blah blah.. but whenever I eat a fair bit of chips, I ALWAYS get a pimple. I've tested this more times than I can remember.

So its my personal belief that diet can definitely impact your skin.
acne (if not teenage acne that is mainly due to hormones) are exactly from yoru diet. there is ONE cause for everyone, but acne is almost always due to a food sensitivity that you have... whether it be from dairy, to gluten etc... Google Candida and acne, and or food sensitivity and acne.

on the other side of things, if not food related, it could also be psychological... stress CAN cause acne, and personal psychological issues can as well.... It isn't as simple as bacteria and or fungus... It CAN be.. not most serious cases aren't that simple.. and it lies way beneath the skin... if it were that simple... topical solutions would work for everyone, but it doesn't.

Taking shit like accutane onlly MASKS the issue... it is like constantly taking advil everyday to get rid of daily headaches/migraines... wouldn't you want to know what the root of the problem is?? I have also seen tonnes of ads on tv regarding legal counselling for those who have had side effects from accutane.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-12-2011, 04:01 PM   #54
My homepage has been set to RS
 
melloman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: #604
Posts: 2,253
Thanked 2,439 Times in 806 Posts
I was on accutane for the max period allowable.. (about 10months to 1 year?) when I was in my teens. Went to my dermo. every 2 weeks, and got blood tests every 2 weeks to once a month. Main side affects for me were dry lips (like cancor (sp?) sores), some dry skin but not bad. Got prescribed some cream (more like grease) for my lips but nothing bad. I was warned before treatment that you could have bad reactions to the drugs; extreme mood swings, white count drops significantly, stomach/digestive problems.

Yet I would like to clear up all the bullshit by saying.. The treatment is EXTREME, but it does work VERY WELL. I only use a facial cleanser/wash since treatment and my skin stays 100% clear, and before Accutane i had BIG problems with acne all over my face. Thus having this extreme drug means you HAVE TO MONITOR IT. That's why I went to dermo and to get blood test every 2 weeks. It's just precautions a GOOD dermo. would take. Just keep that in mind if you do take this drug.
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #55
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I was on accutane for the max period allowable.. (about 10months to 1 year?) when I was in my teens. Went to my dermo. every 2 weeks, and got blood tests every 2 weeks to once a month. Main side affects for me were dry lips (like cancor (sp?) sores), some dry skin but not bad. Got prescribed some cream (more like grease) for my lips but nothing bad. I was warned before treatment that you could have bad reactions to the drugs; extreme mood swings, white count drops significantly, stomach/digestive problems.

Yet I would like to clear up all the bullshit by saying.. The treatment is EXTREME, but it does work VERY WELL. I only use a facial cleanser/wash since treatment and my skin stays 100% clear, and before Accutane i had BIG problems with acne all over my face. Thus having this extreme drug means you HAVE TO MONITOR IT. That's why I went to dermo and to get blood test every 2 weeks. It's just precautions a GOOD dermo. would take. Just keep that in mind if you do take this drug.
It is good that you had a good dermo... but this drug has been lifted for sale and prescription for a reason... Everyone reacts differently, and there must have been a very substantial number to raise a red flag that big. Drug companies already get away with A LOT in terms of side effects.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:45 PM   #56
My homepage has been set to RS
 
gilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 2,032
Thanked 1,430 Times in 276 Posts
seriously considering to do this. I think skin dryness is a pretty common side affect from what I have read. What kind of lotion did you guys use to help your skin?

Also, does it cure other pimples on your body other than your face?

This can be prescribed by a family doctor right?

I am just sick of this bs, several years of low self esteem and useless acne cream products. Think I am going to pull the trigger on this one.
__________________
FEEDBACK


2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #57
d1
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS
 
d1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,598
Thanked 492 Times in 125 Posts
Accutane cures acne everywhere. I didn't use any other cream while I was on it. Your family doctor can prescribe it, but they usually leave that to the discretion of a dermatologist.
Personally I'd encourage you to take it. I've been off it for nearly a year now and it hasn't come back. No long lasting side effects for me either.
d1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-13-2011, 01:32 PM   #58
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Van
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 871 Times in 226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilly View Post
seriously considering to do this. I think skin dryness is a pretty common side affect from what I have read. What kind of lotion did you guys use to help your skin?

Also, does it cure other pimples on your body other than your face?

This can be prescribed by a family doctor right?

I am just sick of this bs, several years of low self esteem and useless acne cream products. Think I am going to pull the trigger on this one.
Honestly, give the medicine a shot. If you react to it, jump off it right away. I've gone on it and all my acne was completely cleared with zero side effects. I suggest thoroughly speaking with your dermatologist first though.

I still get a pimple here or there, but in those cases its usually do to sleeping extremely late, leaning my chin on my hand or even just touching my face. Keeping a clear face also includes drinking tons of water. I've noticed water helped a lot during my highschool years.

As for BlueG2 stating it only masks the problem? I'm not entirely sure, but for me it worked wonders. Accutane got to the source and did its job unlike topical medicines my dermatologist prescribed before.

I use to take this other medication where I had to intake 2 large yellow pills. I'll find the name of it and maybe you can suggest trying it after speaking with your dermatologist about it.

Good luck.
JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2011, 12:33 PM   #59
My homepage has been set to RS
 
gilly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 2,032
Thanked 1,430 Times in 276 Posts
Thanks guys. I made an appointment on Monday.
__________________
FEEDBACK


2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #60
RS Veteran
 
Spidey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: vancouver
Posts: 8,773
Thanked 1,264 Times in 617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSilver View Post
Honestly, give the medicine a shot. If you react to it, jump off it right away. I've gone on it and all my acne was completely cleared with zero side effects. I suggest thoroughly speaking with your dermatologist first though.

I still get a pimple here or there, but in those cases its usually do to sleeping extremely late, leaning my chin on my hand or even just touching my face. Keeping a clear face also includes drinking tons of water. I've noticed water helped a lot during my highschool years.

As for BlueG2 stating it only masks the problem? I'm not entirely sure, but for me it worked wonders. Accutane got to the source and did its job unlike topical medicines my dermatologist prescribed before.

I use to take this other medication where I had to intake 2 large yellow pills. I'll find the name of it and maybe you can suggest trying it after speaking with your dermatologist about it.

Good luck.
by masking the problem, i meant, it is almost the same as someone taking hydroxycut while still eating bad foods and excessive calories... you need to get to the root of the problem, whether it is something you are eating (and it does not have to be junk food, it can be something as simple as dairy or broccoli). OR like i mentioned, stress... etc

http://www.your-best-acne-treatment....tane-work.html

the "root" of the problem isnt the sebum or bacteria deep inside the skin... something is causing this inflammation or flare up.. something is causing this bacteria to cause an adverse reaction within your skin and sebum... by eliminating sebum, it does reduce your chances of acne, but compare yourself to the next person with sebum and think about why they don't have acne issues. They probably aren't having adverse reactions to certain foods like you do, and again, psychological issues plays a huge role in cortisol and other hormonal chemicals that are released within your body.

all doctors will prescribe medication for almost everything... go see a very good and reputable naturopath... but then again, it is like asking someone who is overweight to see a personal trainer and commit to fitness 2-3x a week for the rest of their life, rather than taking a fat burning pill and using the abtronic.. most people will be more inclined to popping a pill and sitting back.
Spidey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #61
Rs has made me the woman i am today!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Van
Posts: 4,194
Thanked 871 Times in 226 Posts
I see.

Either way Accutane it worked for me.

JSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:44 AM   #62
No Duplicate Accounts Allowed
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: vancouver
Posts: 334
Thanked 144 Times in 39 Posts
i've noticed that taking fish oil and multivitamin helped alot for me
AccordCouped is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2011, 06:43 AM   #63
Rider
 
gdoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Surrey
Posts: 3,269
Thanked 2,078 Times in 530 Posts
sleep on a fresh towel every night
gdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Revscene.net cannot be held accountable for the actions of its members nor does the opinions of the members represent that of Revscene.net