REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 05-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

are we required to carry insurance papers within the car at all times?

helping a friend ask this as she was involved in a slight accident and the other party didn't have the insurance papers with her
Advertisement
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #2
I subscribe to Revscene

Yes, you are required to carry them in the car or on your person while driving.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

How do you know if the other party has insurance or not if they cannot produce it immediately at the scene of the accident? I would just call for police and have them deal with those clowns.... it even said so in the insurance paper to keep it with the vehicle...
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

no insurance, MVA 24(5)b $598
fail to produce insurance MVA 33(1) $81
Solo_D33A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:33 AM   #5
RS controls my life!

think of it this way..do you carry your drivers license around with you? well think of that as another one but instead of carrying it in your wallet its carried in your car
eurochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

What should have the OP's friend done? Getting into an accident while the other party have no insurance paper? Call the cops? Record as many info as humanly possible without cops?
Gnomes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 5,489 Times in 1,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnomes View Post
What should have the OP's friend done? Getting into an accident while the other party have no insurance paper? Call the cops? Record as many info as humanly possible without cops?
Pretty much.

As soon as the other party cannot produce either DL or insurance papers, I would call the cops. After calling the cops/while on the phone, I would write down as much info as I can.

But getting witnesses is the number 1 priority in most situations. As soon as an accident happens, you should be getting witnesses then get all the info. If there is no info to be exchanged cause the other party doesn't have any, just call the cops.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #8
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 2,133 Times in 1,027 Posts
would I call 911 or non-emergency number?
I don't know the non-emergency number.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
would I call 911 or non-emergency number?
I don't know the non-emergency number.
Call 911.

Non emergency number is (604) 717-3321.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Pretty much.

As soon as the other party cannot produce either DL or insurance papers, I would call the cops. After calling the cops/while on the phone, I would write down as much info as I can.

But getting witnesses is the number 1 priority in most situations. As soon as an accident happens, you should be getting witnesses then get all the info. If there is no info to be exchanged cause the other party doesn't have any, just call the cops.
Thanks for the info...when I got in my first accident 3 years ago (I was at fault since I rear-ended), I was so frazzled I didn't take down any of other info (DL ID or insurance). For all I know, she was not properly insured/licensed but I ended up being at 100% fault through ICBC anyways...the ICBC adjuster gave me the person's name who reported it, but since I didn't have their info, no way for me to know if it was the actual driver or not (She was also EI, so I didn't even know if the gender matched or not).
Jermyzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 12:24 AM   #11
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS View Post
Call 911.

Non emergency number is (604) 717-3321.
Would you call non-emergency if there was an accident and you need the
police involved to sort things out?

No one's really being threatened, but based on the examples given in the VPD site,
the situation does require immediate action (since both parties aren't gonna
be there all day). So would I call 911 instead in this case?
Old 05-28-2010, 01:22 AM   #12

If both parties are willing to stay until a police officer arrives, I don't see the need to call the emergency line. Only if one party is being threatened in a hostile manner or one party tries to leave the scene of the accident, then an emergency call is necessary.
Old 05-28-2010, 02:39 AM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 2,739 Times in 776 Posts
kind of off topic question but if you get pulled over by a cop and he ask for your license and registration, would you be allowed to step out of your car to get the registration? because i don't keep mine in the glove compartment like most people do just in case someone steals it if my car is broken into
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #14
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Just make sure you tell your officer your intentions. When I was pulled over, I rolled down my window and had my hands on the wheel. When he asked for it, I told him I need to reach for it in the place where I hide it and it wasn't the glove box. As long as you let him know, then he should be fine with it. The officer even used his flashlight to help light up the area for me (most likely for his own protection too so he can see what's happening), but he was really friendly and polite.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:44 AM   #15
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0r3 View Post
If both parties are willing to stay until a police officer arrives, I don't see the need to call the emergency line. Only if one party is being threatened in a hostile manner or one party tries to leave the scene of the accident, then an emergency call is necessary.
I don't necessarily agree with this.

I would call the emergency line because who knows why this person doesn't have the appropriate documents. Better safe than sorry.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #16
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 5,616 Times in 2,303 Posts
i dont know if it's already there but i think there should be a section in road sense book on teaching new drivers on how to deal with accidents

yes it may just be common sense, but when someone gets into their first accident it may be hard to stay calm and think clearly (grabbing witnesses first).
Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #17
CRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
i dont know if it's already there but i think there should be a section in road sense book on teaching new drivers on how to deal with accidents

yes it may just be common sense, but when someone gets into their first accident it may be hard to stay calm and think clearly (grabbing witnesses first).
Believe it or not, in the military, we have a checklist and paperwork that are always in our vehicles in case of accidents.

IMO, this is also the best way to go about it even in the civilian world.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #18
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0r3 View Post
How quickly do they come if I call non-emergency?
Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #19
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

I'd just call 911. Years ago, I called the non emergency number for a noise complaint about a house party over a block away. The lady on the other end said I should call 911 if I want police onsite otherwise it's "get to it when we can" type deal.
Old 05-29-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
Rs has made me the man i am today!

911 is for emergencies only. The call taker at 911 and at your local police non-emergency number should properly prioritize your call based on the information provided.

Response times will vary based on each independent situation as well as the current call load at the time.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #21
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 1,908 Times in 771 Posts
if you are in an accident , and the other party does not have their DL and you dont call the cops - ICBC will not care the other party failed to produce a licence. If other driver can BS enough you will be at fault.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
if you are in an accident , and the other party does not have their DL and you dont call the cops - ICBC will not care the other party failed to produce a licence. If other driver can BS enough you will be at fault.
Yes, ICBC doesn't care if that person has its license with him or not. But how do you know if that person is who he says he is? He could say he is joe45 from RS and you have no way to prove what he says is correct. And there is also the possibility that the vehicle he was operating is a stolen vehicle. Hence, police assistance is required to identify the driver and if possession of the vehicle was authorized by the owner. Also, police would be the one issuing the ticket for failure to produce driver's license.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:02 AM   #23
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

thanks all for the info!
cdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:06 PM   #24
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,969 Times in 2,174 Posts
kind of ontopic question, in the mix of insurance papers at the bottom there's a piece to be torn off that has all the car details etc on it. I was under the impression you're supposed to keep that separate from the paperwork in the car in case you lose it or something, but when I was pulled over the other day the officer specifically asked for the torn off piece with all the details (not my car) and I had it, but now I'm confused as to what you're supposed to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:17 PM   #25
Rs has made me the man i am today!

^That is the vehicle registration. You'll need to produce that if requested by a peace officer whether it's kept in your wallet or in the vehicle.
ninjatune is offline   Reply With Quote