REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-26-2010, 07:28 PM   #26
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_blossom View Post
not entirely true. I was told that if you for to change out your tires or did any kind of vehicle maintenance while in the USA due to safety issues, you could theoretically get off w/o paying. aka, you blew a tire or found it was unsafe to use due to it's low tread. or if your brakes were squealing and you needed new pads to safely get back to Canada.
Yes that's true, for emergency repairs. That would only apply if say you had a flat tire and needed to purchase a new replacement to drive home. Then it's tax and duty free. Key word = emergency.

Replacing all four tires wouldn't qualify as emergency repairs, hence it's taxable.
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:43 PM   #27
private modder

Thanked 2,652 Times in 741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4444 View Post
nope, you're wrong, you have to declare that

you shouldn't have to pay duty, only tax (pst + gst), as when a good is imported into mexico, or hte US, the duties should be paid then at which point it becomes a NAFTA harmonized good, meaning it can be sold to US, Canada, Mexico with no additional duties

many border guards do not know this, and consider you as importing it directly from the country of origin - you, at this point, need to educate them on how NAFTA work - its amazing how they don't seem to get it (its worked for me, i learnt about this in my econ undergrad, has saved me $$$)
If that was true, then you're saying 100% of all duties collected from people bringing products from the US into Canada (no matter what the country of origin) since NAFTA was introduced, shouldn't have been charged. Really?? You should call Olsen on Your Side, he'd love a story like that.

Also, if that was true, there would probably be no need for a NAFTA Certificate of Origin, which all exporters need to complete when sending products across the border, if they are claiming the products are duty-free under NAFTA. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b232/
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 10:49 AM   #28
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,816 Times in 450 Posts
seriously, people worry too much.....
everything are depends on your luck and how shady you look. Answer the question they asked straight and no stuttering you will be fine

Just risk it if you want to save money, if you are afraid getting busted and get tax on, just shop in local.
Greenstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #29
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Also, go on a rainy/gloomy day. That way ever old tires will look shiny and it's even harder for them to tell.

How I wish I can remain ignorant, why do I know so much?
q0192837465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #30
nuggets mod

Thanked 3,799 Times in 981 Posts
I got an idea.. PAY THE DUTY!
Old 05-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #31
Banned (BBM)

^

except ppl are too cheap to face reality
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 04:24 PM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
No. I'm not going to give the government more money.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #33
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Remember, no one on RS who tells you to evade taxes and duties will even take responsibility when you are caught with smuggling your tires back to Canada. So the final decision is up to your own to decide. Yes, the taxes and duties you evade can get you a nice dinner or more, but the potential consequences may not be as nice as you would have imagined.

If caught, you will be detained, your tires will be seized, and your car may be seized. If you want your tires back, you will be required to pay a penalty for smuggling on top of the taxes and duties you owe. Another option is to forfeit your tires to them. Then you will be on the "naughty list" for god knows how long. Whoever that travels with you whenever you come back to Canada will be sent for more in-depth search.

Is this really worth the trouble? Yes, the odds may be in your favor. But you are just playing Russian Roulette for such a large wager and low payout. I'll just suck it up and pay for the taxes and duties - you save money in the end, just not as much.
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 07:09 AM   #34
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
No. I'm not going to give the government more money.
on 2nd thought, good call

30% off my annual pay cheque is more than fucking enough
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #35
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I've been going to Blaine to pick up car parts for a while now. No problems going into the US; and coming back up to Canada, I just pay my taxes and go. I've usually been let go without paying for items that were roughly $100 or less.

Just depends on the border guard you get. I've always crossed the Peace Arch.

I heard guards at the Pt.Roberts border are douchebags as they ding u for taxes and duties, but I've never experienced that before.

Overall, buying stuff esp. car parts is soo much cheaper in the states than locally here.
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #36
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Where do all of you who heard Pt Roberts guards are douchebags? From a friend of a friend perhaps? I too have never gotten crap from the guards there. If you treat them with courtesy and respect, it will do wonders for you. The opposite is also true: if you treat them like crap, expect to be dinged for any possible fees, delays, and violations there are within the law.
Sp0r3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:55 PM   #37
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
^
+1
Just tell them what you went there to do.
"what did you do in pt roberts?"
"post office"
"Why"
"To pick up some packages."
"What are they"
"*insert whatever*"
"How much was it?"
"say amount"
"How long were you gone for?"
"10 minutes, maybe 20."

Then you pay your shit.

Or if it just something small you can get away with, just say you went to get gas, and GET GAS BEFORE HAND. BRING RECIEPT.
Say you're going for Gas before going in.

If it's something obvious, pay for it.

I don't know why people go to Blaine when Pt Roberts is so much closer. That, and the fact that theres never a line at Point Roberts. Max you'll wait is maybe 10 minutes.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 07:23 PM   #38
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I've bought tires from the US, had them shipped to Blaine, picked them up and brought them back in my trunk. Honestly declared them when I crossed as I always do, only paid 12% in taxes, no duty, no eco fees, no brokerage fees.
Posted via RS Mobile
skholla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:19 PM   #39
UFO
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpuGen View Post
If it's something obvious, pay for it.

I don't know why people go to Blaine when Pt Roberts is so much closer. That, and the fact that theres never a line at Point Roberts. Max you'll wait is maybe 10 minutes.
You can get away with more stuff at Blaine without having to pay taxes. Usually $100-150 even sometimes $200 per person on a 2-3 hr trip and they will wave you through. Blaine also has cheaper gas, and I usually just boot down to Bellingham while I'm at it and do a grocery and Costco run.

I've gotten through Pt. Roberts a couple times with stuff right around $100, but more often than not anything over $50 you get waived in purely because they are so slow at that crossing. The few bucks tax is fine as I would have to pay that if I am buying the same item in Canada anyways, but sometimes the border guards trip out and start to dig around all over the car looking for stuff they think I'm smuggling. They also ask random questions that make you think a bit before you can answer, makes you feel on the spot and sketched out even though you have nothing to hide. Hasn't happened much now that I'm older, but back when I was in school, they certainly worked my car over a few times. Generally speaking Pt. Roberts get the fresher border guards who are more 'alert' and anal and detailed, whereas everywhere else the guards seem to be slightly more seasoned and laid back
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #40

i think that point roberts is more focused on catching smugglers and collecting taxes where blaine is out to stop drugs/firearms/criminals, collecting taxes is just a bonus.

my experience has been similar to UFO's, blaine is pretty easy going, you can get away with up to $200 a head tax free on a day trip. its best to be straight up and declare your goods, its not worth taking the risk to save $12 in taxes on a $100 of goods and then get busted and blacklisted for the next few years. its true that you can hide some small items or make them look used but on bigger ticket items you are already saving a lot of dough, just pay the taxes.

oh yeah, like ufo said, for even cheaper gas head down to bellingham but the best is costco. they are $0.50 a gallon cheaper than the blaine shell/chevron, also you money back if you are an executive/costco-amex member.
Old 06-01-2010, 12:09 PM   #41

where do u guys find the cheapest gas along I-5 to Seattle?

Your chances of getting caught at Pt. Roberts is much higher because there's not really a reason to go there except for picking up packages & getting gas. I've been searched everytime I cross Pt. Roberts so I know I should declare everything.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #42

ive found that gas in blaine is about 3.30/gal and the closer to seattle you go the cheaper it gets, 2.99/gal would be the cheapest at major gas stations. the cheapest but still "quality" gas would be costco, about 2.75/gal in bellingham or any other location in WA.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skholla View Post
ive found that gas in blaine is about 3.30/gal and the closer to seattle you go the cheaper it gets, 2.99/gal would be the cheapest at major gas stations. the cheapest but still "quality" gas would be costco, about 2.75/gal in bellingham or any other location in WA.
Do u need a membership card to get gas @ costco?

Old 06-02-2010, 01:56 PM   #44

unfortunately yes, you have to swipe your membership card at the pump... there are some good old american (no name) gas stations that offer gas at the same price in bellingham, personally id rather stick to costco/shell/chevron.