REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech

Automotive Detailing & Car Care Tech THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Discussion on how to keep your car shining bright and make them heads turn..

Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Sourcing materials and review

Hi there,

I am a complete newbie and just bought a car that's worth detailing (MR2) and am looking to buy the necessary materials for a detail. I hope you can offer some feedback on the items I am looking for and where I can find them for cheap. Additionally, recommendation of brands/types of items I don't already have a brand for.

I've looked at Ken's website and he doesn't seem to have everything I am looking for and I don't know if he has the best prices either. Also, I don't know when I have the time to drive out to get the items.

Anyways, here is the list:

Wash:
  • Meguiars Gold Class or NXT Wash
  • Wool mitt (brand?)
  • California waterblade
  • Drying towel (brand?)
  • Clay Magic (which roughness?)
  • Meguiars Deep Crystal/Premium paint cleaner
  • Tire/Rims cleaner (brand?)

Polish: Can't really afford a polisher just yet (a bit cash tight after the new car)

Sealant/Wax:
  • Meguiar #20 Polymer and S100 Wax on top
  • Microfibre cloths (brand?)

Other:
  • Aerospace 303 for panels
  • Leather conditioner (brand?)
  • Touch up paint for chips on door edge
  • RainX for windows
  • Windex for windows

I know it's a long post but would value any feedback you may have.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
the_law82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #2
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,456 Times in 989 Posts
it sounds like you want stuff available at canadian tire, so why not go there?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #3
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

www.eshine.ca

they have deals every month plus with the number of items that you want you can prolly avail of free shipping.
s.t.k. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
How I Mod your mother

I can guarantee Ken will have everything you need
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
it sounds like you want stuff available at canadian tire, so why not go there?
indeed

the general stuff can be had from wal-mart or canbodian tires
Mugen EvOlutioN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

i'd avoid the waterblade and the windex(if you have tinted windows)

if you want over the counter stuff, you usually can't go wrong with meguiars.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 03:40 AM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

if you are looking at meguiars, you should take a look at the duragloss product.
604_Snooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 08:08 AM   #8
Banned (BBM)

i finally came to a conclusion

meguiars > mothers anyday

mothers blows fucking balls

their wax sucks, lasts like 2-3 weeks

the metal polish is garbage too, doesnt polish jack
Old 05-27-2010, 09:01 AM   #9

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Looks like CT does have pretty much everything I need.

I don't intend to use any Mother's products except the clay from CT and maybe their interior protectant. I've read that their clay is pretty good.

If anyone else has any suggestions for other places to get the products for cheaper than CT (online or otherwise), feel free to chime in.

Thanks again.
Old 05-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
How I Mod your mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen EvOlutioN View Post
i finally came to a conclusion

meguiars > mothers anyday

mothers blows fucking balls

their wax sucks, lasts like 2-3 weeks

the metal polish is garbage too, doesnt polish jack
Dude you need to get away from meguiars wax and try the acrylic jett sealant I told you about.. Takes no more than 30 mins to do 2 coats, and thats
guaranteed to last at least 4 months
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
Old 05-27-2010, 11:18 AM   #11
Banned (BBM)

^

i havent had the time to go maple ridge just to grab two bottles of wax/sealant, same shit lol....hell i only been maple ridge like 2-3 times in my life.

let me know if u decide to go, grab me a bottle

recently i been using the Collinite 512 or watever the number is, i forgot lol
its alrit
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #12
Banned (BBM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_law82 View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Looks like CT does have pretty much everything I need.

I don't intend to use any Mother's products except the clay from CT and maybe their interior protectant. I've read that their clay is pretty good.

If anyone else has any suggestions for other places to get the products for cheaper than CT (online or otherwise), feel free to chime in.

Thanks again.

wal-mart will definitely be cheaper than canbodian tires, unless they are on sale.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #13
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I'll second not using a California Water blade. One single tiny speck of dirt gets on the blade, and you'll be dragging that piece of dirt all over your car. Most detailers will recommend not using it.

Since you're looking for OTC stuff, I'll keep my recommendations to stuff you can get OTC (rather than from specialty stores)

Wool mitt: Doesn't really matter. Get whatever wool mitt is cheap.

Drying towel: I use a waffle weave drying towel. Much better than a chamios as it's softer and prevents scratches from any dirt it catches. (Link

Claybar: Seems like the Mothers kit is the only OTC product out there. Ken probably has a bigger selection but a fine grade clay should be OK for what you want to do.

Tire/Rim cleaner: P21S is probably the best out there. I know a few guys here have used the Autoglym wheel cleaner and have good things to say about it so probably those two options, though if you don't mind getting your hands dirty, you could probably do just as well with a sponge, leftover carwash and a bit of elbow grease.

Microfibre cloth: Probably just anything you can find for cheap. Ken has some nicer ones that are thicker and larger. You can spring for those or just the cheapies from CT.

Leather conditioner: Lexol is pretty widely available. I use it now and it's not bad but I don't like the initial "residue" it leaves behind after you condition it. It goes away after a while though. Again, consult Ken if you want some better quality stuff. I've heard Leatherique is very good, but it's more of a specialty item so you won't find it in your big box stores.

Detailing supplies in general are cheaper in the US, so if you got somewhere to ship it to, you could always order it online and have it shipped. However, if you're new to this, I'd probably suggest maybe paying a visit to Ken (RS sponsor) as he's our resident pro and gives really great advice. This way you'll be buying products to suit your job and not wasting money on stuff that may not be right for the job.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
Banned (BBM)

^

except the exchange rate blows now, expect 1.12-1.13 exchange rate on ur Visa
Old 05-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #15

Quote:
^

except the exchange rate blows now, expect 1.12-1.13 exchange rate on ur Visa
That's true. It's not too bad right now. Much lower than it was a year ago. I guess just do the math and make sure it's worth your while.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #16
Banned (BBM)

well if you are heading down US as a trip/small vacation than it make sense

but if you are heading down straight for some minor stuff, oil , filter, misc detail stuff..unless u are getting shit load...it really doesnt make sense. Since on top of that u may get taxed/duties + gas alone driving out there

canada market blows
Old 05-27-2010, 12:36 PM   #17
Banned (BBM)

on a side note

cali blade runs the risk scratching it while attempting to dry the car.

using a special fiber towel and rub it against ur paint, IF there is any sand/small rocks, or dity...wouldnt it run the same risk by dragging it? especially on a black car
Old 05-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #18

Thanks for the additional input. I probably won't get the water blade since it's like $30...

I've done some additional research and have some more specific questions.

In terms of drying the car, I've read that the absorber does a pretty good job, is it necessary? Has anyone used it?

In terms of the sealant/wax, I would like one that's more durable. I've read Zaino is good, I assume the only place to get this is online at the Zaino website?
What about Klasse?

My car is crimson red in colour and it does not come with a clear coat (with the exception of one of the repainted panels) if it makes a difference.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #19

Quote:
well if you are heading down US as a trip/small vacation than it make sense

but if you are heading down straight for some minor stuff, oil , filter, misc detail stuff..unless u are getting shit load...it really doesnt make sense. Since on top of that u may get taxed/duties + gas alone driving out there

canada market blows
For sure. I usually ship a ton of stuff to my mailbox and just go make one trip and pick it all up. My general guideline is that I should be saving at least 20% on the item vs purchasing here + taxes before I'll order it in the US. Either that, or it's unavailable in Canada. Otherwise, it's better off buying up here.

Detailing supplies is one of those things where there's still a fairly large price differential between the US and Canada. Camera and computer parts is another.

I'm not sure if you've used a waffle weave before but the technique that you use to dry the car (as well as the pockets in the waffle weave) is the reason why it's less likely to scratch your car. Rather than using a wiping motion like you would with a chamois, you are basically pullling/dragging the waffle weave cloth across the surface so you're not putting any pressure on the cloth itself. (see youtube video below)

This post thanked by:
Old 05-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #20

Quote:
Thanks for the additional input. I probably won't get the water blade since it's like $30...

I've done some additional research and have some more specific questions.

In terms of drying the car, I've read that the absorber does a pretty good job, is it necessary? Has anyone used it?

In terms of the sealant/wax, I would like one that's more durable. I've read Zaino is good, I assume the only place to get this is online at the Zaino website?
What about Klasse?

My car is crimson red in colour and it does not come with a clear coat (with the exception of one of the repainted panels) if it makes a difference.
The Absorber is basically a synthetic chamois. It better than using a California Water blade, but because you're still putting pressure on it to wipe, there's always the chance of causing swirling/scratching if you get some dirt on it.

Zaino is supposedly pretty good. Some people swear by it. It's pricey though. Apparently, some guy that works for Artona is selling Zaino in BC (http://www.zainostore.ca/contact-zaino-store) if you want to get something locally.

I've never used Klasse before so I can't comment on it. (although I do have an unused bottle of AIO if anyone is interested in it) It's another one of those brands who have their loyal fans.

The current sealant I'm using is Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection. It has a nice wet gloss to it and it's durability is fairly decent.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 AM   #21
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

klasse is pretty good. i've had it on my car for 6 months so far and no signs of it losing it's shine. although it does leave a plastic-y kind of shine. so you'll want to use a carnauba wax as a last step product. doesn't apply to light coloured cars

as for drying. i usually use the flooding with a hose method, followed by a leaf blower. then a waffle weave to blot dry.

don't cheap out on microfibers, the cheap ones will usually scratch your paint(if unsure, do the CD scratch test). i don't trust the ones from canadian tire.

for washing i'd invest in two buckets and also get grit guards from autowerkes.

for clay, the meguiars ones are fine. don't read the reviews on clay from the US as they are all made by the same manufacturer or something. i wanna try riccardo clay someday.

for rim cleaner, make sure it's PH balanced. you don't want your wheels to start bubbling from the acid some cleaners use. P21s is the gold standard pretty much. heard good things from sonax for wheel cleaners.
StealthFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:44 AM   #22
Need to Seek Professional Help

Quote:
Hi there,

I am a complete newbie and just bought a car that's worth detailing (MR2) and am looking to buy the necessary materials for a detail. I hope you can offer some feedback on the items I am looking for and where I can find them for cheap. Additionally, recommendation of brands/types of items I don't already have a brand for.

I've looked at Ken's website and he doesn't seem to have everything I am looking for and I don't know if he has the best prices either. Also, I don't know when I have the time to drive out to get the items.
If you come by, I'm sure we can cover pretty much everything you need. May not be the exact product you are looking for, but we should have something that will fit the bill. We do try and keep our prices competitive with the other online stores but unfortunately, most products are made or supplied from back east which means an additional 15-20% in shipping charges to get it here. Optimum is made in California and as soon as we start buying direct from them, we should be able to lower our prices on that line. Other than that, all the products I sell are tested and used daily in my detailing business and I will personally guarantee them. If you are not happy, bring them back and we'll exchange them for something else. Will any other store do that?

Ken
911fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:02 AM   #23
How I Mod your mother

I'm not gonna lie, I never knew you're supposed to do that with a waffle weave lol
When I watched that video I literally went :! Holy shit!
Quote:
Old 05-30-2010, 01:24 AM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,601 Times in 543 Posts
yeah that's how a waffle weave is used, it's just a PITA to wring out when it's full of water lol, but considering it takes less than 2 minutes to dry the whole car, they're awesome.

to OP: ken has everything you need, sure you'll start with CT stuff but once you realize how novice the stuff at CT is you'll want to try out ken's good stuff, don't waste your money - start with the good stuff. I haven't touched my meguiar's stuff in YEARS.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 08:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911fanatic View Post
If you come by, I'm sure we can cover pretty much everything you need. May not be the exact product you are looking for, but we should have something that will fit the bill. We do try and keep our prices competitive with the other online stores but unfortunately, most products are made or supplied from back east which means an additional 15-20% in shipping charges to get it here. Optimum is made in California and as soon as we start buying direct from them, we should be able to lower our prices on that line. Other than that, all the products I sell are tested and used daily in my detailing business and I will personally guarantee them. If you are not happy, bring them back and we'll exchange them for something else. Will any other store do that?

Ken
Optimum products aren't too bad either. I've used Optimum Polish and Optimum Compound and got fairly good results with them. They certainly don't dust up as much (if at all) as say Menzerna which is certainly a good thing. The other nice thing is that their products are fairly affordable too.